“Awful customer service”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Went here for lunch on Sunday after the pub we wanted to go to was full (our own fault for not booking on a Sunday) nice busy atmosphere at first and the bar staff were very friendly. The south African lady on the door told us there would be a ten minute wait. After waiting at the bar for about 15/20 mins the lady came to the bar and asked what looked to be the owner if she could take the reserved signs of a table that was supposed to be taken an hour previously. He said yes and we assumed the table would be for us. It wasn't. It was for a party of four that had just arrived (our party was 3 and a small baby) left it for another 5 minutes and yet ANOTHER walk in group was sat, by this point the baby was getting irate and I asked the lady if she had forgotten us. She said no, I asked then why had she sat the walk in before us and she said they had booked, I said no I heard your conversation at the bar, she said well they called this morning and then went on to say she had a plan in her head anyway. I said it didn't seem to be working as we were waiting 10/15 mins longer than advised. I understand it's a busy Sunday lunch and we hadn't booked but being lied too just annoyed me. She told me that in 'this industry' you have to allow for people wanting desserts or coffees. As a restaurant manger I would always take this into consideration. We were then abruptly sat in a table in the corner and up some stairs (there were lots of others free with better pram access) fine we were sat and happy but still quite annoyed at the incident and also overheard another discussion between staff saying that we were difficult. Service was icy from then on. Baked camembert started was microwaved, carvey was dry and the scampi and chips was frozen. Such a shame as the pub itself is lovely. Bar staff lovely and seemed to have some great midweek offers. Will not be returning.

2  Thank Emily B
Chris K, Owner at The Walhampton Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

We do appreciate delays can be stressful when you are waiting with a young baby and are sorry you had to wait longer than advised. It is not possible to be precise about times when tables will be free, as we do not hassle people to finish their meals and leave – that really would be awful customer service.
We are sorry that our attempts to give good customer service gave you exactly the opposite impression. The Manageress did have a plan and your best interests at heart. One party was seated before you as they stated they wished to be in and out quickly and well before the time that particular table was reserved for. Other free tables were not ideally suited for a pram alongside. In the event you were seated at one of our most popular tables, which can accommodate a pram easily and is out of the hustle and bustle. Staff were told that you had complained about the time spent waiting, so they could make special efforts to ensure you were happy with the with the rest of your visit. Unfortunately when they checked back with you during your meal, you did not mention that you were not happy with your food - we could have done something about it. Incidentally, the Baked Camembert is never microwaved.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is probably my sixth visit in just over 8 months and each time we have had excellent service and lovely food, may it continue. My brother and I on this occasion tried the carvery, the beef was a little bit over done for me but the choice of vegetables was very good, the horseradish sauce was excellent wouldn't have minded taking a pot home with me as it was that good...Their desserts are fab...well worth a visit. My Mum chose the macaroni cheese with a side salad and garlic bread, plenty of it and very tasty.

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Myself and friends have been here several times, the welcome is always friendly and the service great from start to finish.
The carvery is particular very good and always fresh due to the turnover of diners, so no dry meat or soggy veg.
Highly recommended and a shame they were fully booked for xmas lunch by the time I tried to reserve a table.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was the first time at this pub and it proved to be a very good experience, The staff were very helpful and the food is of very good quality for the price compared to other establishments. It is definitely worth more visits.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Taking a severely disabled friend for lunch, we had the door held open for us by the chef! The table booked for a specific reason was available and the meal and service were excellent. The staff, from the chef to the waitress to the lady who dealt with the bill were pleasant, happy and made us think nothing would be too much trouble even though it was a busy time. Thank you all-- my wife and I will certainly be back.