“Friendly Service & Good Food”

The Walhampton Arms
Ranked #36 of 118 Restaurants in Lymington
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
New Milton, United Kingdom
“Friendly Service & Good Food”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We have driven past the Walhampton Arms many times; usually on a Sunday when the car park looked very full. We arrived just after opening on a Tuesday for lunch; lots of space in the car park and a warm welcome too. There is a separate area for us doggie folk and we were soon joined by a partially sighted lady, her guide dog and companion, who are regulars. My wife had two starters as a 'main' whilst I went for the carvery. Both her dishes were freshly prepared - the salad was nice and crisp. There was a very jolly chef serving at the carvery - he made a special effort for the partly sighted lady without being condesending. The carvery fare was good honest pub food and plenty of it. Excellent value for money and we will be back with the rest of the family. The landlord said the wekends are very busy so need to book.

• Visited February 2014

Dorset, United Kingdom
“Don't leave it too late for the Carvery”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Terrible weather, but it was convenient being just up the road.
We both chose The Carvery.
The service was pleasant and reasonably speedy.
The problem was the vegetables had been standing around too long and were distinctly chilly,
We passed when it came to the desserts, but both decided on a Cappuccino. Unfortunately they were almost devoid of coffee, and lacked the chocolate sprinkles, so it was just like drinking hot milk!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Brian S
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Awful customer service”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Went here for lunch on Sunday after the pub we wanted to go to was full (our own fault for not booking on a Sunday) nice busy atmosphere at first and the bar staff were very friendly. The south African lady on the door told us there would be a ten minute wait. After waiting at the bar for about 15/20 mins the lady came to the bar and asked what looked to be the owner if she could take the reserved signs of a table that was supposed to be taken an hour previously. He said yes and we assumed the table would be for us. It wasn't. It was for a party of four that had just arrived (our party was 3 and a small baby) left it for another 5 minutes and yet ANOTHER walk in group was sat, by this point the baby was getting irate and I asked the lady if she had forgotten us. She said no, I asked then why had she sat the walk in before us and she said they had booked, I said no I heard your conversation at the bar, she said well they called this morning and then went on to say she had a plan in her head anyway. I said it didn't seem to be working as we were waiting 10/15 mins longer than advised. I understand it's a busy Sunday lunch and we hadn't booked but being lied too just annoyed me. She told me that in 'this industry' you have to allow for people wanting desserts or coffees. As a restaurant manger I would always take this into consideration. We were then abruptly sat in a table in the corner and up some stairs (there were lots of others free with better pram access) fine we were sat and happy but still quite annoyed at the incident and also overheard another discussion between staff saying that we were difficult. Service was icy from then on. Baked camembert started was microwaved, carvey was dry and the scampi and chips was frozen. Such a shame as the pub itself is lovely. Bar staff lovely and seemed to have some great midweek offers. Will not be returning.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Emily B
Chris K, Owner at The Walhampton Arms, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
We do appreciate delays can be stressful when you are waiting with a young baby and are sorry you had to wait longer than advised. It is not possible to be precise about times when tables will be free, as we do not hassle people to finish their meals and leave – that really would be awful customer service.
We are sorry that our attempts to give good customer service gave you exactly the opposite impression. The Manageress did have a plan and your best interests at heart. One party was seated before you as they stated they wished to be in and out quickly and well before the time that particular table was reserved for. Other free tables were not ideally suited for a pram alongside. In the event you were seated at one of our most popular tables, which can accommodate a pram easily and is out of the hustle and bustle. Staff were told that you had complained about the time spent waiting, so they could make special efforts to ensure you were happy with the with the rest of your visit. Unfortunately when they checked back with you during your meal, you did not mention that you were not happy with your food - we could have done something about it. Incidentally, the Baked Camembert is never microwaved.
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT SERVICE AND EXCELLENT FOOD”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is probably my sixth visit in just over 8 months and each time we have had excellent service and lovely food, may it continue. My brother and I on this occasion tried the carvery, the beef was a little bit over done for me but the choice of vegetables was very good, the horseradish sauce was excellent wouldn't have minded taking a pot home with me as it was that good...Their desserts are fab...well worth a visit. My Mum chose the macaroni cheese with a side salad and garlic bread, plenty of it and very tasty.

• Visited January 2014
“Excellent food and friendly staff”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Myself and friends have been here several times, the welcome is always friendly and the service great from start to finish.
The carvery is particular very good and always fresh due to the turnover of diners, so no dry meat or soggy veg.
Highly recommended and a shame they were fully booked for xmas lunch by the time I tried to reserve a table.