“Overpriced and poor quality”
Review of The Gun Inn

The Gun Inn
Ranked #93 of 118 Restaurants in Lymington
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Telephone No. 01590 642391 This is a pub with food eaten either at tables near the bar or in a separate dining area. Order at bar but waitress service to tables.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and poor quality”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Today the family of six of us went to The Gun for a bite to eat at lunch time. We ordered various items that were either sandwiches or ploughmans, Considering the price they were all very disappointing. In an area where they fish for mackerel I was very suprised to get an obvious shop bought one on my plate, And to charge £6.50 for a cheese and pickle sandwich is well overboard when it comes with a little side salad .Unfortunately they have a captive clientel.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank OldBob27

New Forest, United Kingdom
“Mixed lunch experiance”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I stopped here for lunch a couple of days ago. We have not visited this pub before. From the outside it looked old fashioned and inviting. Inside it looked like a sailing/fishing museum, which was interesting and added to it's character. The bar was not too busy when I went to order my drinks, the Landlord (?) asked me what I wanted. When I started telling him he turned his back on me and walked away - I stopped giving my order, he turned around and said "I'm listening" somewhat abruptly. Very strange behavior for a landlord. We both ordered fish pie which was very tasty. The problem was the portion size. The fish pie was served in a china shaped life size scallop shell with a small salad and coleslaw. A scallop shell does not hold a lot (one scallop for instance) When I paid I offered him my Amex card, his reation was extraodinary to say the least. It was as if I had offere him a dead kitten or something more disgusting. I understand many small businesses do not accept Amex due to their (apparent) high charge, but a simple statement that they do not accept that card would have sufficed. I'm not sure I will be visiting the Gun Inn again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank DBDDorset
Coventry
“Lovely setting & a Free pint”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent quay side pub with lots of character. Good food with generous portions. So many different rooms and conservatory places to choose from. Most of the tables are quite big allowing for large groups if required. Even nicely carved wooden crab tables and chairs!
I have to admit that the menu choices are nothing special. All the usual suspects!
Also, as has been mentioned in other reviews no kids in the bar. But you can get round that because there's lots of seating elsewhere. It wasn't a problem.
The manager also remembered that I had a slightly cloudy pint of 'Timothy Taylors' to begin with. It was just coming to the end of the barrel. I hadn't said anything and it tasted fine but he excluded it from the end bill. That's excellent service in my opinion!

Taunton, United Kingdom
“Friendly pub, ideal to stop off at on bike rides, good food and beers”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have cycled past The Gun Inn a number of times whilst staying in the locality, but this time we stopped off with the children on bikes and parked up at the front of the pub - the helpful chap behind the bar even brought out some cycle locks to help secure the bikes to prevent theft.

Yes, it has the feel of a 'Locals Pub' with children not accepted in the bar areas, but directed to a room to the side of the bar, which we felt was fine! Not everyone wants children within a bar environment, we had no problem with this whatsoever.

It has plenty of old-world maritime feel inside, with many maritime artifacts on the walls, together with foreign currency stuck to the ceiling, there's never a boring wait at the bar for a drink!

Put simply, our drinks were ordered swiftly, all was good, orders taken at the bar for 8 people for food, this was delivered in a timely fashion - the food was of good pub quality (don't expect restaurant quality food) and there was plenty of it. Service was polite and efficient, I couldn't fault it.

We will definitely be back!

Lymington, United Kingdom
“Stick to beverages!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

After long walk with dog from Lymington to Keyhaven we sat in the garden enjoying warm sunshine.bar staff were brilliant,first Pimms of the season ,and thought we would have lunch too the food and menu in general - what a disappointment!! Aside from crab sandwiches just the usual baguettes/jacket potatoes/ cottage pie etc .Mr V ordered a tuna salad - it resembled a plated meal form Mad Men series 1 !!! Three lettuce leaves with quartered tomatoes ,slices of cue and tuna mixed with mayonnaise Ina bowl !!!! How easy is it to prepare a delicious looking salad?No wonder locals take picnics and tourists feel ripped off! By the sea - a chalk board of fish and happy customers !!! Just plain lazy !!!

3 Thank samanthahollywood