“Festive Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
The New Forest, Hampshire
“Festive Lunch”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had the Festive Lunch today at this lovely hotel! It was very well presented, gorgeous food and lovely ambiance! Extremely good value for money! Three courses and coffee and mince pies to finish! For £16.95 I very much doubt you can get better value anywhere! The staff were lovely and very attentive! Thank you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Turkish first
tonbridge
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We returned on an offer from the hotel that covered one night and we decided to stay for 2 which i now wish we hadn't.
We were very pleased initially to have been upgraded to a suite.It was huge with more space than anyone could possibly need but with a tiny bed...why??

The heated towel rail was the heat source for the bathroom and didn't work ..a plumber came but couldn't fix it. No apology or offer of a discount was received.

The hot water didn't arrive in the tap until it had been running for 20 mins...the staff told me this after I had had a cold shower in December in a cold bathroom ...NOT GREAT and what a waste of water.

The food in the restaurant is pretentious but does not deliver.
The cauliflower veloute was lacking in any seasoning or flavour of cauliflower and was tepid ...so in fact was just a bowl of warm cream . I left it and the waiter asked me if I wanted another starter but that would have delayed everything so I declined.
The apple mille feuille was 3 sheets of undercooked filo ...the clue, chef , is in the name...a thousand leaves...needs puff pastry or don't call it mille feuille.

On the upside the breakfasts are fantastic and the champagne cream tea was great although a bit stingy on the cream .

Overall I was disappointed not to receive an apology from the manager and a discount. See my review of The Pig which did handle the problem well .

Room Tip: Don't choose 29...I can't remember which one we liked in the summer sorry...but I'd chec...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janet-tonbridge
Estoril
Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you like a quiet and traditional experience in southern United Kingdom please consider staying in the center of Lymington, in a boutique hotel with extremely friendly and professional staff the Stanwell House. This was our first visit and it didn't disappoint. The rooms in the original building are furnished with an eclectic mix of furniture (some a little old) and have all the facilities that you need (unfortunatelly wi-fi was not good in the room, but fine in the social areas). The range of teas available on the tea tray was impressive. The staff in general are very helpful (particularly Olaf in the front desk with a big smile at arrival, much like an old friend). A special mention should be made of cuisine staff. Overall I should say we had one of the best tasting restaurants I have been to and I do (strongly) recommend. All in all we had a most enjoyable 3 day break though Lymington could be seen as much as in a full day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Can not recommend Stanwell House Hotel enough! Have been here many times for lunch and the service and quality is always excellent. Great value too!
I would recommend reserving a table during the holiday season as it is very popular.
You will not be disappointed :D

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SecretCaller
burton on trent
Reviewed 25 November 2013

If you like a traditional High Street and a non corporate hotel with extremely friendly and professional staff then I would recommend staying at Stanwell House in Lymington.
This was our second visit, we returned because we had been so impressed on our first visit and it didn't disappoint.
The rooms in the original building are furnished with an eclectic mix of furniture and have all the facilities that you need (don't try to use a mobile phone as reception is poor). The range of teas available on the tea tray was impressive.
The staff on reception are very helpful and know a lot about the surrounding area. A special mention should be made of Marilyn who welcomed us back as if we were old friends and made us feel very much at home.
All in all we had a most enjoyable break and are looking forward to returning in the New Year

Room Tip: We stayed in room 26 which is a suite that has a small outside balcony and is at the rear of the hot...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Plaxtol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I have been here a few times now and I have never had a bad meal, often I have stayed for afternoon tea in the lovely conservatory. The most recent time I went was with my grand parents who live 45 mins away from the hotel. Starting off on a low actually we had a waiter (who I think was new) who didn't really know what he was doing. We were quite a big table so the what looked like the manager came and took my order. My little brother was crying because ever since we started coming he has had the same dish ever since he can remember so the manager told him she would ask the chef what they could find. He had a beaming smile on his face when the dish appeared and it looked brilliant, Credits to stanwells for that. There is one last thing I would like to point out for first timers there is only TWO puddings on the menu and I have had to go without sometimes since there isn't an appealing pudding on the menu. Overall one of the best tasting restaurants I have been to I do recommend (just venture to the conservatory for pudding).

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Oundle
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We recently stayed for a 3 night break(4 ladies on a short break).We found staff at the hotel to be very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were clean and had everything we needed. We ate in the hotel the first night and then at nearby restaurants the remaining 2 nights. Lymington proved a good location and fuelled by our very tasty breakfasts we found plenty to see and do over the three days . We would definitely stay stay again and recommend to our friends .Many Thanks to Olaf and the rest of the team!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden rooms 8 & 15
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!