“Lovely experience”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked a room in this hotel for 2 nights for my Birthday based on the reviews on trip advisor. I must say the service and Food was outstanding. We reached the hotel a bit early before the actual check in time but the receptionist was very welcoming and great. She was very kind to ask if we wanted a room with a bath and she immediately got us the keys to garden facing room with a bath. Staffs there are extremely polite, kind and make you feel at home. We opted for the afternoon tea and we thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Again, that night we opted to have dinner in the hotel and they offered me to tailor the menu as per my requirements as i am a vegetarian. The food was very good and lady who was serving us was quick to get a coloring paper and some colors to keep my daughter occupied so we can enjoy our dinner. Next day we arrived at the breakfast room and there was a huge selection of freshly baked croissants (a must try!), fresh fruits, Juices, cereals and egg and a lot more! On checkout the receptionist gave my daughter a soft toy which she adored and was playing with it all day long  . I would definitely recommend this hotel and will go back for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have just come back from a one night stay having booked on a Waitrose offer which included afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast. Afternoon tea consisted of 2 scones and a hot drink..not what I would personally call Afternoon Tea, so was disappointed by this. Dinner was good, but like other reviewers have said, service was a bit slow and we were not asked if we wanted more drinks, however having just checked my bill on getting home I realise we have been charged for drinks that we did not have! Room was ok, though sheets stank of bleach (if you suffer from sensitive skin this could be a problem), I felt a bit like I was sleeping in a swimming pool. Dressing table mirror was broken so you could not move the angle. Breakfast was good. I would not choose to stay in a hotel that welcomed dogs, so for me that was a real shock/disappointment to see dogs staying (however they were well behaved), I would have preferred this to have been made very clear to me, but understand that they probably don't make it clear as they would loose bookings. For me I would not go back, but would recommend it to my friends with dogs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toulouse
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have nothing but praise for Stanwell House following our 3rd visit in he last 5 months. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, all of whom are very friendly. Stanwell House is a lovely old coach house in the very centre of town, rooms are spacious and well equipped and the restaurants serve good thoughtfully prepared food, breakfast is delightful with plenty of choices and at the other end the Seafood Restaurant turns out some delicious innovative meals. We will be back again next month.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
Hampshire
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked a one night 'Winter Sunday Getaway' for my husband and myself, as a treat for us following his diagnosis and treatment for cancer. We wanted a positive, relaxing, fun 'time out'.
We'd heard on the news that residents of Lymington were being evacuated due to flooding fears, a few days before our planned stay, so I emailed the hotel the day before travel, asking if all was OK for our stay. I never got a reply.
On arrival we were dismayed to find that the car park is behind shops on the opposite side of the street. There are thirty nine rooms, and only twelve parking spaces. We left our car on the street, and had to make sure we were out before ten next day to move the car before parking restrictions came into force.
The climb up narrow and twisting stairs to the top floor was rather taxing and off-putting, but the room was nice when we made it there! It was one of the Georgian rooms, quite large although the bathroom was tiny and a bit tired. The bedroom was comfortable and nicely furnished in period style, with views both over the ancient tiled rooftops of the town and towards the harbour and marina full of masts.
We'd booked dinner for 7.30, and took our seats just after that. We didn't get back to our room till after 10pm, despite not lingering over coffee!! The service was indescribably slow. We ordered fairly promptly, and were served with our wine quite quickly, but things just got slower and slower after that. By the time we got any food, our glasses were almost empty. I like my wine WITH dinner, not on an empty stomach.
There was some confusion about the appetiser, which we thought was served as a 'complimentary' course by way of apology for the prolongued wait, but obviously there was a breakdown in communication over that. No doubt this was due in no small part to the very pronounced foreign accents displayed by almost all the waiting staff. They were VERY hard to understand.
The extremely low lighting levels, black floor, black table tops and black slate 'plates' made it very hard to see the food when it eventually arrived. Attempting to spear a piece of beetroot, I took a 'stab in the dark'. Luckily my white linen blouse remained inviolate, while the red stain was absorbed by the large napkin I had spread across my lap.The impractical slates were difficult for the staff to put down and pick up, leading to embarrassing contortions of arms, etc.
The food itself was delicious, if not overly generous portion-wise. The cappuccino coffees, served (surprisingly promptly!) in the conservatory lounge were of the best I've had in quite a while.
We slept well, despite worries regarding the down pillows and duvet. I think the hotel ought to warn guests that bedding is not non-allergenic. My son would have had a full-blown asthma attack as soon as he walked into the room.
Breakfast next day was in a different dining room, and served efficiently and pleasantly by a busy team. There was a good choice of cereals, pastries, cheeses, meats, juice, etc from a central farmhouse-style table, and fresh toast, tea, coffee and full English breakfast available to order from the staff. But why was only unsalted butter available on each table? I like my butter in the English manner, with a little salt, otherwise i'd rather have a health spread. Unsalted butter is just tasteless fat.
If I stayed again at Stanwell House, I would go elsewhere for dinner, and ask for proper butter at breakfast. Otherwise, not at all bad for a three star hotel.

Room Tip: Georgian rooms seem to be less luxurious, but the location is worth the money.
3 Thank HampshireCathy
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel as a guest at a wedding. I had a lot of problems whilst booking a room and the receptionist on the phone was utterly unhelpful on two occasions! The date of the wedding changed and when I rang to rearrange the date of the booking I was told that I would lose my pre payment of the full amount because the re booking was more than 6 months in advance! I found out that I had been overcharged as well. Another phonecall reinstated my payment along with a credit for the overpayment which under no circumstances could be refunded. Also we would not be able to have access to our room until 3pm.
We arrived on the day of the wedding and again, found the reception staff to be very unhelpful. They offered no welcome and didn't seem to know what the arrangements were for the wedding. We had the last parking space in the very small 'first come, first served' car park. I estimate that the car park holds approx. 6 cars.
We had a garden room which was quite pleasant but definitely not 'boutique' the dressing table had a drawer missing and pins held the curtain hems up. Other guests staying at the hotel kept us awake until the early hours as there is a lack of soundproofing.
The wedding was perfect by the way and the serving staff were very efficient and friendly.
Breakfast was average conveyor belt stuff, neither good nor bad. We didn't enjoy running the gauntlet of all of the dirty laundry that had been left in the corridor.
Upon check out the receptionist mentioned our credit and couldn't understand why it hadn't been refunded and made the refund. It was around the £50 mark so not insignificant.

I know this hotel is held in very high esteem by locals and regulars but I cannot see why.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room which hasn't got lots of other quests passing by
5 Thank SAK56
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Went to Stanwell House Hotel last night for dinner, which was not just a meal it was an eating experiance. The starters of goats cheese with beetroot and the crab ravioli were delicious. But the best was yet to come. The duck with orange was amazing and the pork three ways was incredible. The desserts of rice pudding and lemon meringue were nothing like you've seen before.
We are already planning our next visit to explore the rest of the menu.

1 Thank DDH1_10
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I booked to stay at The Stanwell House for Valentines this year (we have a 1 year old and getting away just isn't that easy nowadays). We both work long hours throughout the week so were thoroughly looking forward to our night away together. We had decided to rent the hotel's Renault Twizzy for the afternoon for a bit of fun and to explore the New Forest. Well firstly I was accused by the lady on reception of booking for the following day (which I had not as I had the confirmation email!). She made me feel completely panicked and belittled which did not bode well to begin with. So that was that. When we actually got to the Twizzy we were informed that it had only been charged to a half battery, not good enough. We managed to make it down to the Bartley Lodge in Cadnam whereby we had to charge the car. The manager Stuart here very kindly went out of his way to help us as the charging points did not fit together and in the end had to be connected via a household extension lead. Had this kind man not been on hand to help, we would have been completely stuck. So after 40 minutes of 'charging' the car appeared to have very little more battery than we had before we charged it. By this point we had approximately 15 miles left. Off we set again, to only lose battery again. Back on charge the car went, this time for 2 and a half hours!! Not happy. Being pregnant, I was none too amused with being stuck out in the cold waiting for a car battery to allegedly charge. After this long period of time we had only just enough battery to make it back to the hotel. By this point we were 2 hours late for dropping the car back, freezing cold and generally not too pleased as we had missed our dinner reservations and did not feel like leaving the hotel room after returning. To add to this the Twizzy does not have windows, so I am sure you can imagine the force of wind in your face for 15 miles back to the hotel at 8pm on a cold February night. We were met back at the hotel where we expressed our extreme disappointment. The lady on the desk was very nice and organised for a pot of tea to be sent to the room. We also at this time pointed out the issues with charging the car, God help them if any older people were to hire it! So we had a cup of tea in our room and the lady on the desk mentioned room service. We thought great, they will feed us as well considering we had missed our dinner arrangements and had the afternoon from hell. Well no, dinner was in fact charged to our bill the next day. However the charge for the afternoon car hire (a whole £25) was deducted from our bill, we were given a hellish afternoon for free! Bonus! The food delivered to the room, consisting of soup of the day and the Stanwell House burger were both mediocre. Had we not been so ravished, I would not have eaten it. Besides the fact it was barely warm when it arrived. But that was by the by, food is food when you are pregnant! The bed we slept on was so hard, we both spent the majority of the night fighting to get to sleep. Hence we awoke in the morning with sore backs and what felt like a hangover due to lack of sleep. Breakfast again was mediocre, you could certainly determine which parts of the breakfast had been cooked first, the eggs were cold whereas the sausage was piping hot when it had arrived. All in all the service at the hotel is generally good, however I feel not enough was done to compensate our awful stay. I will certainly not be returning which is sad as the hotel is genuinely beautiful. I hate to be a 'moaner' as such, and I do not generally leave online reviews but this 24 hours of what was meant to be relaxing time with my husband turned out to be awful. Not happy. Not impressed.

4 Thank stephaniepe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,136 reviews

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!