“A return visit to Stanwell House”

Stanwell House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“A return visit to Stanwell House”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel more than 10 times over many years for single occupancy when attending a sailing corporate event

This time my partner stayed for a two night Dinner/Bed and Breakfast and it exceeded expectations with regard to food, ambiance ,quality and originality on décor and fittings. The staff are friendly ,helpful and really attend to every request

An experience difficult to fault and excellent value for money

Room Tip: Room 17 suite is amazing and very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Turkish first
bournemouth
Reviewed 7 March 2014

"Magical Christmas and New Years Eve"

Have eaten here on many occasions sampling almost all of the menus and I can honestly say, that the food is always outstanding !
I decided this year I wanted a stress free Christmas. Wow! without any doubt Stanwell House Hotel on Christmas day delivered, delicious food, sumptuous champagne and fine wine, courteous happy staff and stress free! From the bar to the restaurant with reception staff in-between they were all so helpful and all seemed to genuinely want to make our day special.
Our meal was excellent - every course was beautifully presented, some wonderful flavours and a few imaginative twists, all cooked to perfection.
I can say no more, other than -GO AND HAVE THE "STANWELL HOUSE EXPERIENCE"! Not just at Christmas, it’s great at any time of the year in fact we had such a memorable day we booked for the New Year's Eve Black Tie Dinner and Dance and what a fantastic time we had, very memorable again thanks to the team.
Our meal was amazing we had a 7/8 course taster menu which was brilliant and once again the service was second to none we had a first class evening.
On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful young lady we were then served some very inviting champagne and canopies, all very relaxed with no panic or rushing around.
Our meal had both quality and quantity, so much so that we didn't finish all the courses!!!
It was a great occasion and we enjoyed it so much that we fully intend to return next Christmas and New Year
We would recommend this Hotel to anyone who is visiting the New Forest Area at any time of the year and we are sure that you will have a great experience as the whole team at Stanwell's just seem to have got it right!
Well done to them all and thanks for making our Christmas and New Year so special.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked a room in this hotel for 2 nights for my Birthday based on the reviews on trip advisor. I must say the service and Food was outstanding. We reached the hotel a bit early before the actual check in time but the receptionist was very welcoming and great. She was very kind to ask if we wanted a room with a bath and she immediately got us the keys to garden facing room with a bath. Staffs there are extremely polite, kind and make you feel at home. We opted for the afternoon tea and we thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Again, that night we opted to have dinner in the hotel and they offered me to tailor the menu as per my requirements as i am a vegetarian. The food was very good and lady who was serving us was quick to get a coloring paper and some colors to keep my daughter occupied so we can enjoy our dinner. Next day we arrived at the breakfast room and there was a huge selection of freshly baked croissants (a must try!), fresh fruits, Juices, cereals and egg and a lot more! On checkout the receptionist gave my daughter a soft toy which she adored and was playing with it all day long  . I would definitely recommend this hotel and will go back for sure!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
london
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have just come back from a one night stay having booked on a Waitrose offer which included afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast. Afternoon tea consisted of 2 scones and a hot drink..not what I would personally call Afternoon Tea, so was disappointed by this. Dinner was good, but like other reviewers have said, service was a bit slow and we were not asked if we wanted more drinks, however having just checked my bill on getting home I realise we have been charged for drinks that we did not have! Room was ok, though sheets stank of bleach (if you suffer from sensitive skin this could be a problem), I felt a bit like I was sleeping in a swimming pool. Dressing table mirror was broken so you could not move the angle. Breakfast was good. I would not choose to stay in a hotel that welcomed dogs, so for me that was a real shock/disappointment to see dogs staying (however they were well behaved), I would have preferred this to have been made very clear to me, but understand that they probably don't make it clear as they would loose bookings. For me I would not go back, but would recommend it to my friends with dogs.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Toulouse
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have nothing but praise for Stanwell House following our 3rd visit in he last 5 months. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff, all of whom are very friendly. Stanwell House is a lovely old coach house in the very centre of town, rooms are spacious and well equipped and the restaurants serve good thoughtfully prepared food, breakfast is delightful with plenty of choices and at the other end the Seafood Restaurant turns out some delicious innovative meals. We will be back again next month.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
Hampshire
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I booked a one night 'Winter Sunday Getaway' for my husband and myself, as a treat for us following his diagnosis and treatment for cancer. We wanted a positive, relaxing, fun 'time out'.
We'd heard on the news that residents of Lymington were being evacuated due to flooding fears, a few days before our planned stay, so I emailed the hotel the day before travel, asking if all was OK for our stay. I never got a reply.
On arrival we were dismayed to find that the car park is behind shops on the opposite side of the street. There are thirty nine rooms, and only twelve parking spaces. We left our car on the street, and had to make sure we were out before ten next day to move the car before parking restrictions came into force.
The climb up narrow and twisting stairs to the top floor was rather taxing and off-putting, but the room was nice when we made it there! It was one of the Georgian rooms, quite large although the bathroom was tiny and a bit tired. The bedroom was comfortable and nicely furnished in period style, with views both over the ancient tiled rooftops of the town and towards the harbour and marina full of masts.
We'd booked dinner for 7.30, and took our seats just after that. We didn't get back to our room till after 10pm, despite not lingering over coffee!! The service was indescribably slow. We ordered fairly promptly, and were served with our wine quite quickly, but things just got slower and slower after that. By the time we got any food, our glasses were almost empty. I like my wine WITH dinner, not on an empty stomach.
There was some confusion about the appetiser, which we thought was served as a 'complimentary' course by way of apology for the prolongued wait, but obviously there was a breakdown in communication over that. No doubt this was due in no small part to the very pronounced foreign accents displayed by almost all the waiting staff. They were VERY hard to understand.
The extremely low lighting levels, black floor, black table tops and black slate 'plates' made it very hard to see the food when it eventually arrived. Attempting to spear a piece of beetroot, I took a 'stab in the dark'. Luckily my white linen blouse remained inviolate, while the red stain was absorbed by the large napkin I had spread across my lap.The impractical slates were difficult for the staff to put down and pick up, leading to embarrassing contortions of arms, etc.
The food itself was delicious, if not overly generous portion-wise. The cappuccino coffees, served (surprisingly promptly!) in the conservatory lounge were of the best I've had in quite a while.
We slept well, despite worries regarding the down pillows and duvet. I think the hotel ought to warn guests that bedding is not non-allergenic. My son would have had a full-blown asthma attack as soon as he walked into the room.
Breakfast next day was in a different dining room, and served efficiently and pleasantly by a busy team. There was a good choice of cereals, pastries, cheeses, meats, juice, etc from a central farmhouse-style table, and fresh toast, tea, coffee and full English breakfast available to order from the staff. But why was only unsalted butter available on each table? I like my butter in the English manner, with a little salt, otherwise i'd rather have a health spread. Unsalted butter is just tasteless fat.
If I stayed again at Stanwell House, I would go elsewhere for dinner, and ask for proper butter at breakfast. Otherwise, not at all bad for a three star hotel.

Room Tip: Georgian rooms seem to be less luxurious, but the location is worth the money.
3 Thank HampshireCathy
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel as a guest at a wedding. I had a lot of problems whilst booking a room and the receptionist on the phone was utterly unhelpful on two occasions! The date of the wedding changed and when I rang to rearrange the date of the booking I was told that I would lose my pre payment of the full amount because the re booking was more than 6 months in advance! I found out that I had been overcharged as well. Another phonecall reinstated my payment along with a credit for the overpayment which under no circumstances could be refunded. Also we would not be able to have access to our room until 3pm.
We arrived on the day of the wedding and again, found the reception staff to be very unhelpful. They offered no welcome and didn't seem to know what the arrangements were for the wedding. We had the last parking space in the very small 'first come, first served' car park. I estimate that the car park holds approx. 6 cars.
We had a garden room which was quite pleasant but definitely not 'boutique' the dressing table had a drawer missing and pins held the curtain hems up. Other guests staying at the hotel kept us awake until the early hours as there is a lack of soundproofing.
The wedding was perfect by the way and the serving staff were very efficient and friendly.
Breakfast was average conveyor belt stuff, neither good nor bad. We didn't enjoy running the gauntlet of all of the dirty laundry that had been left in the corridor.
Upon check out the receptionist mentioned our credit and couldn't understand why it hadn't been refunded and made the refund. It was around the £50 mark so not insignificant.

I know this hotel is held in very high esteem by locals and regulars but I cannot see why.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room which hasn't got lots of other quests passing by
5 Thank SAK56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!