Stanwell House Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$300
US$258
  • Pool
South Lawn Hotel(Milford on Sea)
US$194
US$279
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
US$153
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Mayflower(Lymington)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,714 results
All reviewsseafood restauranthigh streetcourse tasting menugarden roomthe hotel car parkafternoon teaboutique hotelcream teaupgraded to a suitelovely hotelnew forestsconesfour postereggs benedictone night stayevening mealour wedding anniversary
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The owners have been gradually investing in this place over a number of years and much of the tiredness we saw on our last visit 2 years ago has gone. It now has a smart but quirky and stylish charm to justify its claim to be a "boutique " hotel. Have look at the wrought ironwork up the stairs.The layout of this evidently old Lymington house is hardly ideal, but their imaginative use of the nooks, crannies, stepped rooms and original stone floors has created something distinctive and charming - even down to the minsicule cocktail bar for 6 people - serving really nicely crafted drinks. But it's the staff that really make a place and they certainly do that here. There was that personal care that you often only get with privately owned places - the woman on reception being a good example. The hotel has 2 restaurants, concentrating on meat or fish. Both are aiming at high standards and we felt they achieved it, in terms of flavour and presentation. The dessert chef is particularly inventive. The only cricism I would have is that they need to do more work on the rooms - certainly the garden room that we had at any rate. Although it was nicely appointed the window was rotten and the shower weak and prone to running hot and cold. I'm sure this will be fixed as part of the continuing investment but it is a definite negative. That said we really loved our stay overall and will certainly go back soon. We liked its distinctiveness, the service and the food. If you're delivering all that you're not going too far wrong.

Room Tip: Our Garden room had a disappointing shower - I'm not sure if the others are any better but worth checking. Don't reject it just because of that though because it was nice in other respects.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rmhayes
Boss17, Owner at Stanwell House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

It's regularly pointed out by colleagues and peers within the industry that I don't respond to reviews on Trip Advisor , However having read the recent review I'd like to thank the guest for a very constructive and fair feedback of what we've been trying to achieve over the last few years.
The team will be equally delighted with your comments.
Thank you again and i hope i get to meet you on your return, to discuss our plans and refurbishment, with possibly a drink at the bar thrown in for good measure
Robert

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I just want to say a big thank you to all the staff in Stanwell. I and my husband wanted a lovely meal to celebrate our 5th anniversary, but the restaurant we had booked originally lost our reservation so we ended up in Lymington and what a perfect experience it was. Staff very polite and helpful even though we did not have a reservation they showed us the bar for a lovely cocktail and after 15 min our table was ready on a busy Friday night. The food delicious, service could not be more excellent, we said from the begging to the reception that we are celebrating our anniversary and at the end of our meal we were presented with a plate with lovely fudge wishing us 'Happy Anniversary'.- what a lovely end of our evening. We will be back Stanwell House and next time we will bring friends.

Room Tip: Unfortunately we only had a meal but next time we will stay, oh bring your dog with you because it's a god friendly hotel :)))
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was our last day on holiday at a nearby farm where we could walk into Lymington 'off road' via footpaths. We stopped out of interest outside the Stanwell House to see what we might grab for lunch, went inside and then out to the outside sunny patio. Ordered moules and frites followed by plum cobbler - delicious! And a very nice pinot to go with our meal too. Thank you.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My family and I visited the restaurant on Mother's Day and had a rather terrible time which resulted in me making a complaint to the hotel and writing a review on here. The owner contacted me following the review and we discussed the issues. Following our telephone conversation he invited us back for afternoon tea this time for my mothers birthday and I am so pleased we returned. As before the food was spectacular and the service was 100%. The staff were welcoming and friendly and the owner came out to introduce himself and have a chat.

The conservatory is light and airy and very comfortable and sets the mood for the visit. At the end of our afternoon tea my mother was presentation with some hand made basil fudge on a slate board wishing her a happy birthday, this was a lovely surprise.

On my first review I would not have returned but having gone back again and experienced the atmosphere and service as everybody states they have I wouldn't hesitate in coming back for afternoon tea and a meal.

Thank you for a lovely afternoon!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This is our second time at Stanwell House & won't be our last !! It has to be my favourite place to stay in the UK x we had a delicious cream tea on arrival , the homemade scones were gorgeous. We then took the stanwell Twizy electric car to explore the new forest & visited bucklers hard which was beautiful & worth a visit X our evening meal was 10/10 the best food we have had in a long time, breakfast in the morning was also brilliant . The hotel is clean and well maintained, the rooms are fantastic. What sets this hotel apart for others is all of the above and the staff, the were all so friendly & welcoming & couldn't do enough the accommodate our needs x it's well worth a visit .... Also you must try the cocktails .. Very nice ... Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful stay x

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple