“Poor Room”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Aylesbury
“Poor Room”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Booked this hotel as I was meeting some business colleagues for an evening meal on Friday – they were staying on their boat in the marina – being petrified of boats I chose this hotel. All going well until no WIFI in room (router problem I was told) – then at 3am the roof leaked – no one answered at reception so for the rest of the night was listening to the water dripping in through the ceiling!
Breakfast was slow – was joined by 5 guests - then they told us that the breakfast area was to be closed for a private wedding!
The hotel staff were friendly and tried to put things right but after very little sleep things feel worse!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Barry C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Turkish first
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed 1 night at the Angel and Blue Pig, and then two nights at the Stanwell House hotel. They are not comparable, even though the latter was cheaper! We had a fabulous stay at Stanwell House, the room was fantastice, and the service was great, nothing too much trouble. We had afternoon cream tea, which was the best I have had, and was lovely sat out in the garden.
We will return, it's the only place to stay in Lymington.

1 Thank Serena T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

A big thank you to the team at Stanwell House Hotel for a fabulous weekend. Our stay coincided with my wife's birthday, our first wedding anniversary and the news that we are about to become parents. The team at the hotel went to every effort to make us feel welcome from the moment we entered the hotel. We were also delighted to be able to take our four month old puppy with us who was also made to feel very welcome indeed. The service quality is excellent, made so by a great team of friendly staff who stop at nothing to ensure your stay is memorable. The little touches are always the best, down to the little treat for my wife at the end of a wonderful meal in the fish restaurant, and the phone call I received after we'd left to say they'd found my cuff links when preparing our room for the next guests and had sent them in the post to me that day, they arrived safely two days later. The hotel is a very relaxing place to stay, the town is a joy to explore, the local walks take you through town, seafront, marsh land and beaches all within short travelling distances from Lymington. The food was lovely, at breakfast, lunch and dinner and the service swift but not too swift. Definitely going to stay there again and a big thank you to Marilyn especially - what a star.

Room Tip: Rooms for dogs have patio doors to give easy access to the garden area - handy for the first and las...
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stanwell House Hotel does not represent value for money, does not offer a relaxing stay and does not have the resources to satisfy its guests. This is not a hotel I would recommend in the slightest to anyone!

Now, let me begin this review by telling you I am not someone who easily finds fault. I can forgive a lot and I am tolerant. However, what my partner and I experienced on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th April 2014 was so terrible that I need to warm other like minded people out there of the disappointment that they face by booking this hotel.

To begin, when we arrived we attempted to park in the hotel's car park. This was unfortunately full. Fair enough we thought, it was a busy Saturday afternoon in Lymington so we parked in the council park car and walked to the hotel. As we checked in I enquired about having our car parking reimbursed to our hotel account and was abruptly told ‘this is not hotel policy’. I was quite stunned considering we were staying in their premium room priced at a cosy £220 per night! Bad taste number one.

We decided to have a quick lunch in the dining room out the back of the hotel. Service was in full flow and we were casually brushed in the direction of ‘any empty table’ by a member of staff. After 15 minutes of waiting for either menus or an offer of a drink to arrive I had had enough and went to the main bar out the front of the hotel, past reception, to buy our drinks for dinner. Bad taste number two - extremely bad service in the restaurant at lunch time. This was a result of incredibly bad people management from a supervisor level. There was a decent amount of staff, but there was no clue of how to run a 15 table dining room. Terrible.

After lunch, we asked for the key to our room. Now, let me fill you in on why we were spending £220 on a room for one night. For Christmas 2013 we had received a gift voucher of £200 for Stanwell House from relatives who remember Stanwell House as being a very prestigious New Forest hotel. With this is mind, we booked the suite room expecting something very special indeed for what we would consider ‘London’ prices. There is nothing wrong with ‘London prices’, but with ‘London prices’ you expect ‘London luxury, service and detail’. In the case of Stanwell House, room 34, does not give you the ‘London experience’ despite charging the ‘London price’. The room was kitted out with cheap IKEA furniture - confirmed by checking it on the website and I wasn’t a student that long ago either. The bedding was again ‘student like’ - thin, limp duvet, sparky polyester covers, the cheapest fake fur throw known to man - probably from the famous Lymington Market right outside the hotel. None of the furniture matched - browns, blacks, purples and greys - and all in different styles. A solitary ironing board stood awkwardly against the wall in full sight of the bed. The tea and coffee area was located an incredibly low to the ground table - so much so my partner had to squat to make tea in the morning. Squatting in the morning does not shout £220 a night! The list goes on...the lounge area of the suite resembled a doctors’ waiting room, the carpet resembled an office block, the way the television leads trailed the walls and floors resembled a DIY disaster. This room did not warrant the ‘London price’ of £220 that Stanwell is kidding themselves charging. To rub salt in the wound, we were asked constantly throughout our stay by staff if we liked our room - have they ever heard of House Beautiful? Bad taste number 3 - a very deluded room!

In order to numb the pain of the dreadfully overpriced room we decided to try out some cocktails in the conservatory. We ordered one gin martini and a cosmo and asked to see the nibbles menu. Now, we have drunk cocktails all over the world and NEVER have been refused a nibble to go with them until Stanwell House. We were told there were no nibbles to be had with cocktails (despite them being £8-9 a throw) and our only option was to order a starter. We didn’t want a starter, we wanted some nuts or bread and dipping oils - not rocket science surely - but no, they stuck to their guns and served drinks without any nibbles and couldn’t understand why we wanted them in the first place. Bad taste number four - no nibbles! Oh, and as you can probably guess, we certainly were not going to dine with them after the lunchtime experience!

We spent the evening out of the hotel at the lovely local Indian at the bottom of the hill and then came back to bed. Indian was a big thumbs up...the bed part of the night however was a let down...hahaha. The bedding was cheap and the mattress was cheaper. Very poor. The window had to be propped open with the tissue box. What would English Heritage have to say?

Breakfast on Sunday morning was just like lunch on Saturday and our evening drinks - a massive disappointment. The service was just plain terrible. We were shown to a table with no glasses, menus or condiments and just left to fend for ourselves. We only ordered because I again got up and found menus from another table and collared the waitress. Incredibly poor management of the dining room again Stanwell House, well done!

Now, I don’t want you thinking I just complain, I will mention the things we found good about Stanwell House too...the food that did eventually arrive from the kitchen was good and Maureen on Reception is a diamond, such a friendly woman. In fact, Maureen was the only reason I did not complain on the day to the hotel as it would have ruined her day to hear some of these things and none of them were her fault. The faults are the responsibility of the management and the owners who have clearly lost touch with their business since retiring on a yacht in the Med somewhere - just a guess.

In total, I am relieved that we did not actually have to pay for such a terrible experience. We used our voucher and chalked it down to a terrible night in a hotel. I would wholeheartedly not recommend Stanwell House to anyone - not for coffee, not for lunch, dinner or an overnight. The service is very bad and the prices do not warrant the quality of the product or experience. Stanwell needs to wake up and quick - just make sure you never wake up their in a cheap duvet on a cheap bed - you’ll be highly disappointed!

Room Tip: Do not have room 34, or any room at all. Go somewhere else.
18 Thank taylor r
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We've just returned from a 3 day stay at Stanwell House on one of their special 'Gourmet Break' packages. From the booking (and other Trip Advisor reviews) I'd got high hopes, as Chloe had sounded very warm, friendly and very informative on the phone, and we were not disappointed; some great touches - warm reception, keeping our luggage and taking it to the room when ready, offering some recommendations in the town to spend a couple of hours, etc. Our room (26) far exceeded expectations, with a separate sitting room and private terrace. Cream Tea, Breakfast and Dinner were all part of the package, and the quality was superb - far better than some experiences I've had where 'inclusive' meals always seem to be of a lower standard. A great variety of choice, with the Menu changed on our second day - and was certainly popular as a destination to eat for non residents too. I can honestly say we spent more time in the Hotel than we'd planned to as it was a pleasure to just relax in the surroundings of the room, garden and conservatory - we'd hoped for a much needed relaxing getaway, and that's exactly what we got.
My only criticism was some of the waiting staff when busy were a little less accommodating - a small inconsistency in an otherwise exemplary offering. I heartily recommend and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: 26 (and I imagine 29 next door) are quiet rooms at the rear toward the Gardens, and each have privat...
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

After walking past Stanwell house on many occasions during trips to Lymington and always being drawn to its charm I held out no hope of finding a room available over the Easter weekend. My boyfriend and I had decided on a last minute break to the new forest and after phoning numerous places and often being abruptly turned down and basically laughed at by a couple of places who pointed it out I had left it quite late I thought I had nothing to lose in sending an email to Stanwell house to see if they could help. I was surprised when shortly after sending the email I got response confirming they had a room available. I rang the hotel and Chloe who dealt with my call could not have been more helpful. After speaking with her my boyfriend and I were very pleased and excited about our stay and we were not disappointed in any way. On arrival we were told we had been upgraded to a four poster room (at no extra charge) which was beautiful and a lovely surprise. We had read reviews about noise coming from the street but our room looked straight onto the high street and we had no issues at all. The hotel itself has a wonderful atmosphere and is a great mixture of stylish boutique and quirky charm. Breakfast was a real treat with plenty of choice and beautifully presented. We only had one slight issue which was quickly resolved....we couldn't find the car park! After popping in to the hotel we were shown were it was (just round the back of the high street) but it was quite small and we couldn't find a space. Not much of a problem though as parking was always available on the actual high street just outside and is free from 6pm - 10am. We had a really wonderful stay at Stanwell house and the staff made sure we didn't want for anything. We will definitely pay a visit in the near future.

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed at Stanwell House Hotel last week and wished we could have stayed for a second night. There was nothing to fault our stay. The room was beautifully furnished and the bathroom immaculately clean with gorgeous toiletries. The deluxe cream tea was yummy as was the six course taster menu, and most importantly the staff were willing to go the extra mile to make our stay just perfect. My husband and I would happily go back again to this enchanting hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
South Lawn Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!