“Very relaxing”

Stanwell House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Brief review of the hotel - very clean, staff were very friendly and the food was lovely. The only downside of the hotel itself was that our shower was just a dribble. Very weak. Not sure if this was just our room ( 39 ) or the hotel in general.

Although the hotel does state on its website, I wanted to reiterate the parking is pretty awful so do be aware of this.

The hotel did book bikes for us which was great to ride around the new forest which was lovely. Please be aware though that of the bikes coem from 'cycleExperience' the map they will provide you with is horrific and might aswell be of Dubai. My wife and I got horribly lost and ended up calling the firm to pick us up ( Thankyou Tom !! ). Make sure you buy a proper map !

Other than that 'The Ship Inn' round the corner from the hotel is lovely for dinner.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,679)

Reviewed 15 January 2009

I loved this hotel, from the first conversations on the telephone, (with Yannick,) to the warm welcome we received on arrival. A 'boutique' hotel with a lovely atmosphere and a cosy room, (even during exceptionally cold weather,) with all the creature comforts we could ask for. Lovely friendly staff, with good service and delicious food.
So good to know that 'privately owned' hotels, (met charming owner, Robert, when checking out,) still exist, at sensible prices. I would highly recommend this hotel to any of my friends, in fact, to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We got married on 27th Dec in nearby Beaulieu, and we stayed at Stanwell House with our guests and family for the nights both before and after the wedding. All the management and staff were extremely kind and patient in helping us to plan and arrange the event, and were incredibly helpful and attentive whilst we stayed there. The food was excellent and the staff were happy to keep the bar open all night if required, as well as providing food late at night. The setting was excellent and both Lymington and the New Forest area are delightful. We will definitely be returning for both meals and short breaks and I would absolutely recommend Stanwell House to anyone staying in the area.

Thank you for an excellent stay and for looking after us so well.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We are writing to express our complete and total satisfaction of the way Stanwell House Hotel catered for the Wedding Breakfast Celebration of our daughters Wedding celebration on Saturday 22nd November 2008. We cannot praise the staff too highly in the way they looked after ourselves and our guests. On their arrival our guests were courteously and efficiently checked in by the staff that then served and managed the drinks and canapes before dinner while the wedding party assembled. Through out the evening the staff, working under the excellent leadership of the duty manager, attentively served a superb dinner exquisitely cooked by Hotel Chef and kitchen staff. I cannot praise too highly the work of and the staff and the duty manager under whose watchful eye the whole event ran smoothly and was superbly managed. For the duty manager, nothing was too much trouble and whose personal efficiency and professionalism through overseeing the wedding breakfast event from start to finish meant that nothing went on unnoticed or was left to chance. When we retired, our rooms the very high standard ensured a continuation of the excellent guests experience and was soundly rounded off by a first class breakfast we enjoyed in the morning. We believed in Stanwell House Hotel as our choice location from the moment we first visited and saw how a unique and individual experience your guests enjoy when they visit your hotel. We can only restate how well you have lived up to your reputation by exceeding our expectations and carrying off for us a truly wonderful day and overnight experience. I would unreservedly recommend Stanwell House Hotel to any future wedding parties as an excellent and unique venue based on the attention, service and experience we enjoyed during our stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2008

I booked the Stanwell House Hotel some time ago through an offer in the Waitrose magazine for £126, dinner, bed and breakfast for me and my husband earlier in the year. I had to cancel as I was rushed into hospital for some time, when I went to re-book some months later they agreed to book my stay at the same rate that I had booked it earlier in the year. Brilliant service. We stayed in room 6 which had a 'back door' that opened out in the garden area. As it was November it was to cold to go out there but would be great in the summer. Fantastic room, the decor was lovely, clean and the bed was comfortable. Like the touch of Rollo the soft toy on the bed, which you can buy his family members in reception if you wish. Tea, coffee, mineral water etc., all in the room for you. I would definitly stay in this hotel again when in the area. The food on the Bistro menu was the best that we had had for a very long time. It was fantastic. Well done chef. The service was great, the staff very helpful and friendly. The breakfast in the morning was lovely as well, cooked to order. I will say that I thought that where you ate breakfast was a little cold, need a jumper/jacket. However, it was very cold outside. Downside of the hotel - the parking!! On street parking, there is a car park near by but it was busy and also had to carry bags back to the hotel. You can park on the main street it is free until 10am the next morning but spaces are limited. Have change on you for the pay and display as well. The one we parked in was for only 3 hours and then we had to move the car or go back and put another ticket on it. However, this would not put me off staying again at the hotel and I would recommend that people stay here. 10/10 to the hotel and staff - thank you for a lovely weekend away. I definitly ate to much food!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We booked just a night which was unfortunately the most we could get away with following the birth of our triplets at the beginning of the year. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, which was booked as part of a Dinner, B&B package. The room was stylish and clean, fronting onto the garden. The Dinner was delicious, but because it was a quiet-ish Wednesday night all diners were seated in one dining room, but still with the choice of both bistro and seafood menus. The staff and management were very friendly...I even left a shirt behind at the end of the trip but the Manager was kind enough to send it out to me without any bother! Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blades1
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We stumbled across Stanwell House Hotel on a visit to Lymington and realised straight away that it was where we'd like to get married.

The beautiful decor and relaxed atmosphere made it the perfect venue for us. The staff were extremely efficient and friendly, and the food was of a very high quality, especially considering the numbers they were catering for. There was a real personal touch that you don't get in larger chain hotels. Our suite (room 29) was large and luxurious and had a great balcony overlooking the garden.

All of the guests commented on how lovely the venue was and how good the staff were. I would definitely recommend Stanwell to anyone looking for an intimate, relaxed venue.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank em3011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!