“Not worth the money”

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed 28 April 2009

My husband booked a weekend at The Stanwell House Hotel as a surprise because
I had fallen in love with the building on a previous visit to Lymington.
When we turned up the whole building was clad in scaffolding - something
my husband had not been told when booking. The 'Premier' room smelt
of cooking smells so badly my husband went over to Tesco Express and
purchased a plug in air freshner!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Turkish first
essex
Reviewed 27 April 2009

iv'e stayed in alot of top class hotels in my time and this is by far one of my favouites.The atmosphere,ambiance and staff are really amazing. if there is any where your were looking to stay you would be foolish to stay any where but here! trust me the rooms are delectable, each one has a real personal touch and the food from the breakfast to dinner in the restaurant is matched to any michellin stared establishment! i relly have enjoyed my self there, and im not an easy judge to please as i feel friendliness and cleanliness is key and they supassed that in my opinion.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 20 April 2009

My wife and I spent a fabulous weekend at The Stanwell House Hotel in early April and due to the friendliness of the staff and the general quality of the hotel and restaurant we will be returning as soon as possible.

We were in the New Forest to enjoy a weekend of cycling. The staff at the hotel arranged a room for us to use to store our bikes and were never less than 100% helpful. I spend a lot of time in soulless corporate hotels and it was a pleasure to stay in such a unique independent family run establishment.

Our room had a view over the harbour and was spotlessly clean and well equipped.with flat screen tv etc. The room was slightly small but this was mainly because we had lots of cycling kit with us.

We opted for an inclusive package with breakfast and dinner included. This can prove a mistake in many hotels but the food and wine here were both excellent. The service in the restaurant was as faultless as in the rest of the hotel and was staffed mainly by charming, intelligent European personnel.

To sum up: as perfect a weekend as you can have in the UK

Torpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2009

My husband and I stayed 1 night at the Stanwell House Hotel in one of the garden rooms. The room was decorated in relaxing cream and red and had a flat screen TV. The Molton Brown shower gel etc was a nice touch although the bathrooms could probably do with a revamp soon. There is nothing wrong with them - they just seem a bit dated. The room had a good selection of teas, coffee, water and hot chocolate.

Breakfast was nice - good selection of fruit juices, cereal and cooked foods. My only thought would be that I would have preferred a larger range of fresh fruits. We did have to share a table with another couple which we don't really mind. I got the impression that they try to avoid doing that if possible though.

Be warned that there is no car park with the hotel - to be fair to the hotel they do make this clear on their website and when you ring to book. There is a car park is quite close however and we had no trouble finding a spot to park in.

We decided not to dine at the hotel for our evening meal and instead went to the Bluebird restaurant down by the quay which was lovely - would recommend.

Overall we enjoyed our stay :-)

London
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Spent Easter in a suite at Stanwell House. We arrived too early to check in but were able to leave our bags. When we returned later, the bags were waiting in our room. We had a suite with a large decked area overlooking the garden. The room was huge with a TV in the sitting area as well as in the bedroom. The bathroom, again, was large with great walk in seperate shower (Room 29).
The hotel is right in the high street, so great for shops and restaurants. Less than a 5 minute walk to the quay.
The staff were all fantastic and friendly. The service in the 2 restaurants was a little slow, but no big deal. It was nice to relax over some great wine. We preferred the food in the saefood restaurant over the bistro, but both were good.
We also had some great food in the Ship, a few minutes from the hotel.

The weekend at the Stanwell was a real treat - could not have been better. Will be back.

London
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Brief review of the hotel - very clean, staff were very friendly and the food was lovely. The only downside of the hotel itself was that our shower was just a dribble. Very weak. Not sure if this was just our room ( 39 ) or the hotel in general.

Although the hotel does state on its website, I wanted to reiterate the parking is pretty awful so do be aware of this.

The hotel did book bikes for us which was great to ride around the new forest which was lovely. Please be aware though that of the bikes coem from 'cycleExperience' the map they will provide you with is horrific and might aswell be of Dubai. My wife and I got horribly lost and ended up calling the firm to pick us up ( Thankyou Tom !! ). Make sure you buy a proper map !

Other than that 'The Ship Inn' round the corner from the hotel is lovely for dinner.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
oxon
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I loved this hotel, from the first conversations on the telephone, (with Yannick,) to the warm welcome we received on arrival. A 'boutique' hotel with a lovely atmosphere and a cosy room, (even during exceptionally cold weather,) with all the creature comforts we could ask for. Lovely friendly staff, with good service and delicious food.
So good to know that 'privately owned' hotels, (met charming owner, Robert, when checking out,) still exist, at sensible prices. I would highly recommend this hotel to any of my friends, in fact, to anyone!

• Liked — Stylish, friendly, unpretentiously chic, sensibly priced
  • Disliked — no 'on site' parking (but not their fault!)
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
South Lawn Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Stanwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!