1,735 results
All reviewswaterford restaurantspa breakmain buildingsteak clubleisure centrespa facilitiesthe scottish steak houseexecutive roomoutdoor poolnew forestlymington piersteam roombreakfast bargrounds are lovelytennis courtswedding venueisle of wight
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Most of the rooms here are in separate 2 storey blocks around the grounds - a mixture of motel and time-share - so in early April, it was a cold and frosty journey from our upper floor room down slippery steps and across the grounds to the restaurant or breakfast room.

Bedroom was spacious and well appointed - loads of drawers, bottled water provided, reasonable bathroom, bed quite comfortable.

As part of a group of around 20 on a car tour, we dined in a separate room - where we had been crammed in like sardines to the point that you almost had to take it in turns to lean forward, or cut your food - ludicrous! The food itself was fine and service OK - it was just a shame no-one had had the sense to add a couple of extra tables to the row so we were not shoe-horned in.

Room Tip: If you don't want a long and potentially wet/cold walk to the restaurant, ask about a room in the main house.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for placing your review on the Trip Advisor Website, we were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I was surprised to read that your Dinner in our private Glenville lounge was crammed as we normally fit up to 34 people comfortably. I have asked our Operation Manager to retrain his team to ensure that the maximum space per person is allocated per guests to ensure of no further guest disappointment. Hopefully, we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a mix of a hotel and time share resort, part of the MacDonald chain of hotels. The presence of the time share means that the range of additional facilities on offer is wider than a smallish hotel alone could probably offer (2 restaurants, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, gym etc.). Although I didn't eat in the Waterford (posh) restaurant, the menu looked impressive and maybe one day I will give it a go. The (not so posh) Sails offered good quality food, although the range was limited. Rooms were clean, well furnished and a decent size, although the layout was a bit eccentric, and a bit of furniture re-arranging was needed to watch TV in comfort! To my delight the bath was full length, I get a bit fed up of hotels putting in short baths, saves money and water, but after a long drive I for one want a relaxing stretch and soak.

The big downer for me was the lack of internet access, only available via BT openzone. My objection is not only that this can be expensive, but that if you don't know in advance, the only way to sign up is over an insecure connection. Internet access does seem to vary greatly between hotels, and seems fairly unconnected with room rates. I've stayed in cheap places with free high speed wi-fi, and more expensive ones (like here) with problematic connections.

The grounds of the resort are extensive and exquisite, long lawns leading to views of the Isle of Wight.

This is the second time I've stayed here, and I am sure I'll be back. However the lack of internet access would prevent me giving it an unreserved recommendation to anyone who has a need to keep "on grid".

Room Tip: Many of the rooms are up a flights of stairs, anyone with mobility issues should be aware
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank dem98_12

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we have passed your comments back to our team, as comments such as yours is a great moral boost. I have forwarded your feed back for review to the Macdonald Senior Executive team regarding wi-fi. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed at Elmers Resort for three nights in rooms 24 and 24A around Easter 2012. These particular rooms, situated on the 1st floor accessible by stairs, were comfortable and the adjoining arrangement was very convenient as we had 83 year old granny staying in the adjoining room.

During our stay the weather was cold. This was not a problem though as there were electric heaters which were welcome and effective. I suspect the rooms might perhaps be too hot during the summer in the absence of air conditioning? The bathroom was clean and the shower was hot and powerful. There was a decent TV. There was no safe and the door lock seemed old and potentially inadequate. Security was not an issue during our stay but I did not feel inclined to leave valuables in the room. Whilst comfortable the room style was rather old-fashioned, in line with the resort generally, which would benefit aestetically from a makeover.

The main restaurant, in the same bulding as the health club, was rather tired looking to say the least - a flash back to the 80's actually, The windows were filthy - no excuse! The breakfast, which was included in our room rate, was unimpressive. Certainly, had we paid the GBP17.50 or so per person directly we would have been disappointed, not that the breakfast was bad more so because what was presented was poor value for money. The coffee was filtered and a bit of a let-down. There's no excuse for not having having a decent coffee machine these days where guests can help themselves. The eggs benedict, at a supplement of GBP2.50, were poor - not worth paying extra for. Service was prompt and functional (but even the staff looked like they were from the 1980's!). The uninspiring decor discouraged us from eating in the restaurant aside from breakfast time where we had no choice. So we tried the fine dining restaurant one evening.......

The main building in which the fine dining restaurant is located is full of character, although again would benefit from a lick of paint. In the adjoining bar (also lots of old world character) we started with champagne by the glass at around GBP11 each. We followed with a bottle of white wine - neither of which were cold enough. We did not complain. The food was very tasy indeed. The service was good, certainly prompt and attentive but pretentious with no hint of personality. The cost for five at GBP185 was not good value for money.

Would we go to Elmers resort again? Probably not, although I'm sure the beautiful grounds (including an outdoor pool) would be even more stunning and useable during the summer months/better weather. In summary, Elmers resort occupies a lovely location, the grounds are beautiful, but overall the decor needs updating to the current decade and attention should be paid to providing good value for money. Personally, I don't mind paying a premium for quality, but if you charge a premium you have to deliver.

Room Tip: Make sure you select ground floor if access is an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank drbhongkong

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website. I appreciate your comments regarding your experience however I do have to point out that we have, on a rolling basis grandly improved the Hotel & Resort, this despite the economic climate. New flat screen TVs in each bedrooms, on a rolling basis we are replacing every bedroom windows and doors with new UPVC energy efficient material this will be completed before the end of the year. We are refurbishing every public area toilets to a highly modern standards across the entire Resort, as well as 10 bedrooms. We replaced all bedrooms headboards in every bedrooms and 5 rooms have had new carpets. We have totally refurbished our Gym and made huge improvement to the leisure facilities. I do strongly disagree regarding our Breakfast as it is regarded as one of the benchmark breakfast in our industry. Regarding the Waterford Restaurant again I feel that we are extremely good value for money in this area £37 pp is very reasonable for fine dining with views across the Solent and considering the premium ingredients we are using. I have spoken to the team in the Restaurant to ensure all beverages are served to recommended temperature. I am sorry we could not quite meet your expectations, if you were thinking of visiting the New Forest again please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will offer you a complimentary upgrade including afternoon tea.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Having previously stayed with just a few issues, we thought it could only be better a 2nd time. Booking a month in advance, out of season, all the normal rooms were half price, but we needed the facilities of a suite, with full kitchenette, which was still full price.
On arrival, discovered;
Torn curtains, very dirty kitchen sink & taps (scaled up), 8 forks, only 1 (dirty) knife, no teaspoons, no glassware, the fan oven did not work, the shower-head fell off, dirty walls & ceiling, wine-stained & grubby carpet, very 'tired' decor, and a front door that wouldn't shut. Sails was very reluctant to supply teaspoons & 2 glasses, saying they were 'separate' from the hotel. No housekeeping staff to help (gone home). Maintenance man got oven working on non fan setting, & fixed the front door. Shower was fixed next day, along with curtains swapped from other suite (did not fit & also ripped), and a much-needed room clean. The offer to move to the other suite was ruled out as it was so dark in that room at that time of year, and other reasons clearly explained to hotel management.
Local manager did what he could with lack of staff, but the limited compensation was not acceptable.
To cap it all, the regional manager who was insure the day we left couldn't have cared less, and couldn't even be bothered to come to the room to see the problems for himself.

Book here if you must, enjoy if you can, but if anything goes wrong, don't expect any genuine care to get it resolved.
We will NEVER go back.

• Stayed: February 2012
6  Thank Alitigger

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review placed on the Trip Advisor Website. I was chocked to read your comments. First of all I need to point out that, as the Hotel does not have self catering untis, you did not stay in the Hotel part of the Resort you stayed in the Time share lodge apartment. I appreciate that the apartment you stayed in the Manor House apartments which are in need of replacement curtains and carpets. This should be carried out this year. I was glad to read that the team managed to rectify the issues you encountered promptly however I have spoken to them to retrain their team to ensure of no recurrence of these issues. We certainly do not experience a lack of staff on the Resort team and I am not sure who you refer too as Regional Manager as we do not have such a person on site. I would have come to your apartment if you asked for me to do so however I trust my team and our Senior Managers to be able to deal with a customer complaint. I would be delighted to discuss this further if you would, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have just returned from our long weekend stay at Elmers Court, for the second year running and again, have had a lovely, relaxing break. There is nothing you can fault about the rooms, the service, the food - all excellent. The main restaurant - Waterford - serves lovely food and has an excellent children's menu, our little girl thoroughly enjoyed both her meals here. They cannot do enough for you and will change things about on the menu if not quite to your taste. The Sails bar is more relaxed, we only snacked and had breakfast here but what we had was very enjoyable. The breakfast's are substantial with a buffet and hot full English to set you up for the day.
The only reason I have given our stay this year only 4 stars is that upon arriving we were given a £15 discount voucher which I decided to use against a spa treatment. I booked in for a full body massage, usual cost £65 but with discount, reduced to £50. I must say, I was extremely disappointed and very glad that I didn't pay the full £65 although £50 I thought was too much. The masseur was very indifferent and not at all friendly (unlike the rest of the staff I would add which were very helpful). The massage itself was nothing special at all, she applied no pressure and at times it was as though I was being tickled which in my opinion is not a massage. She spent a lot of time just resting her fingers on me which I know is something to do with pressure points but there was no pressure and I feel that this was done too often! To top it all off, at the end, after she had brought me a cup of water, her first words to me were "how are you going to pay for this" - at this point I was still on the couch covered in towels!!!

This was just a blip in our whole stay which we thoroughly enjoyed and most definitely will be returning again next year as the hotel and staff are superb however, it is very unlikely that we would take any more treatments.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be spacious and family friendly.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsFizz

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website, we were delighted to read that, overall, you enjoyed your stay and we have passed your comments back to our team. I was sorry to read that you were very disappointed with your massage. I can assure you that this is not in line with our Vital brand standards, our senior therapist has retrained the team to ensure of no recurrence. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will arrange for a complimentary massage on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort.