“recommend this place for good service”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 September 2013

we have just returned from a 3 night stay (a treat to ourselves for first wedding anniversary) and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, we stayed in the courtyard area the rooms are cleaned every day the room was just right for us with a small kitchen area with coffee/tea and a small fridge, the breakfasts are very tasty and freshly cooked, we had 2 evening meals in the steak house and both the starters and main were nicely presented and tasted fab. the service from all staff is the best, would highly recommend this hotel, the out door pool is a good size, and sauna and steam room are good as well, think we also were lucky with the weather as the sun did not stop shining

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisa84Sissi
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on the Trip Advisor Website. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay more importantly the food and service. We have passed your comments back to our team, especially our Scottish Steak Club team who will be rewarded for such great feedback. The weather last week was superb and we wish for it to continue long into this Indian summer. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the not too distant future.

Resort General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,632)

Reviewed 3 September 2013

as soon as you drive through the gates this place stuns you.in its beutifull gardens n on the steps to the new forest its absolutely stunning...the old house hotel is magnificent and you can sense the years of history its steeped in...we stayed in one of the rooms cabins on the grounds and it was amazing..the food is fabulous the staff are friendly and extremely helpful ..the leisure facilities are great too from a workout in the gym to a relaxing sauna n swim in either indoor or outdoor pools ...all in all a wonderful experience and great value for money and we will be going back..see you next year guys ..dave and jordy xx

Room Tip: the room cabins out on the grounds sre a bit special n kids loved them.
1  Thank Disko67

Dear Dave, Jordy & family,

It is always so positive to receive great feedback like yours, and we were delighted to read that you enjoyed every aspect of you stay with. I have shared your feedback with the entire team, they would like to thank you for your kind words and look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

A perfect stay in the New Forest, for our family of 2 adults and 3 young children. The hotel was beautiful, our 2 bed cottage was better than expectation, we spent lots of time in the swimming pool and the food at the Scottish Steak House was superb. Also helped that the weather was perfect during our three days there. Only irritation was that there were wedding parties on two consecutive nights, which stayed noisy till past the kids bedtime. Lymington town is a short distance away and it helped to have a Tesco and Pizza Express nearby. Would definitely recommend for families and will probably be staying here again.

Room Tip: 2 bed cottages are next to the main manor house and offer excellent accommodation for families of up...
2  Thank FRA4308

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your great comments left on trip advisor website. It was great to read that your entire family thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Resort. Please accept our apologies for the noise created by our Wedding guests, unfortunately the West Court Cottages apartments are the closest to our Ballroom, maybe in the future you could request another apartment away from the Ballroom. We look forward to welcome you back very soon at the Resort.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I went for a spa day.

I was a little disappointed. I went for my treatment and the therapist thought I was having a different treatment.

In the relaxation area there was nowhere to put the tea bag wrappers, so by the afternoon there was quite a pile of rubbish on the tea table. I looked for someone to ask for some more hot water as the flasks were empty, but I couldn't find anyone.

I decided that the relaxation area wasn't that relaxing as I just wanted to relax with a cup of tea. So, I decided to just go home, earlier than I might have but there was still no one around to ask where to leave my gown so I left it in my locker and left the key on the keyboard of the spa reception. I hope this was ok.

The lunch that was included was lovely and the restaurant staff were very attentive.

I enjoy my spa days and I didn't feel as though the hotel were putting enough thoughts into the little finishing touches tat Mae the difference.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mandyeatwell

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to read that overall you did not thoroughly enjoyed your Spa day. I was pleased though to learn that your Scottish Steak Club experience was very good for both food and service. I appreciate all your constructive feedback on the relaxation room and I will ensure that they are actioned to avoid further guests’ disappointment.
If you were prepared to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will provide you with a good will gesture to restore your faith in our establishment.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

After walking 1.5hours from Brockenhurst my boyfriend and I wanted a treat at the finish line.
We booked in advance a table for afternoon tea at the Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel.

Upon arrival we were very impressed. We took a walk round the grounds; the hotel is stunning and the gardens were well kept.
We then sat down for afternoon tea and our experience was very low rate.

The man severing us (a manager) stood the end of the room rather than next to our table and asked loudly across the room what tea we would like, when we asked what tea they had it was a very bland response 'oh the usual, earl grey and regular tea' ...... oh dear
When the food arrived I was unimpressed. The sandwiches were below average and bland, the mini cheesecakes were soggy and went to mush when you tried to pick them up.

We had no waiters nearby at any point, twice I had to walk to reception to ask for water and jam. When we went to pay the one waiter nearby he did not know how to work the card machine so I was sent to reception. When I arrived at reception I was told I could not pay there and was sent upstairs. When I went up the stairs it just took me to the hotel rooms.

I was ready to walk out at this point.
When I came down the stairs I found a different employee and asked her to talk my payment. She took me to reception only for me to witness a disagreement about whether or not they are allowed to take payment at reception.

The service was awful. There was a wedding taking place at the same time as our afternoon tea, my only conclusion is that they were so focused on the wedding they completely forgot about us. Shame, I would have been interested in using there hotel in the future but they could not handle 2 people for afternoon tea

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Arnold83
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback left on the tripadvisor website. Please accept my apologies for the downfall in service you experienced, they are no excuse for such mistakes and I was really disappointed to read your comments.
I can assure you that, although it will be of little comfort to you, this was a totally isolated incident as we have been getting, lately, such great feedback regarding our afternoon tea standard of food and service. I have addressed your feedback with our senior team and they also offer their apologies for these mistakes.
If you were prepared to give us another chance, please contact me and I would be delighted to invite you back.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We booked quite late, two weeks before the visit: two nights for 2 adults and 2 children. We were offered an Executive suite with sofa/sofabed (for the children) as the rooms with separate room with bunkbeds were not available. The room was very pleasant but with the sofa bed open and already made up for the children it was a pretty tight squeeze. With hindsight I think we should have asked that we be allowed to make up the bed for the children so there would have been more room to move around!

Lots to do on the first afternoon's arrival - we had booked a tennis court so played for an hour then a swim in the indoor pool. Supper in the Fine Food restaurant was very good, though my Salmon filet was very over-cooked. The rest was excellent. Two breakfasts, plentiful, but the second breakfast the bacon was very watery and very greasy. All waiting staff throughout our stay were extremely polite and helpful, however a request at Reception for two extra cups for our room (they only gave us two) and my grandson does love his tea, was ignored.

Second evening we ate in the Steak bar (I think that is what it was called). Grandson, who is only nine, loves his food and had a very good sirloin steak, we other three had fish and chips which were served up in a mini fryer, with the chips(frozen,I am sure) underneath making eating the fish difficult. Excellent starter and no room for pudding. Very cheerful French waiter who could not have been more charming. The children discovered the pool table which they loved. In the afternoon we had a swim in the outdoor pool and transferred to the indoor pool when the sun went in. Also there had been a group of very roudy teenagers in the outdoor pool also which was a little upsetting as they had virtually taken over the middle of the big pool and it was not possible for the children to swim properly. They were not threatening at all, but far too noisy for the other guests, including us, who really wanted a relaxed time! No one around to keep these kids in check!

Lots to do in the New Forest, including a cycle ride and a trip to the Motor Museum at B.....(cannot spell this for the life of me). Be prepared to pay a lot of money to get in and also whilst you are there! Visit into the charming town of Lymington and a visit to the seawater pool well worthwhile.

1  Thank Elizabeth E

Dear Guest,

Thank your for your review left on the tripadvisor website. I was really pleased to read that you and your family really enjoyed your stay with us this summer.
You are right Elmers Court is the ideal place to spend a family break with children or grandchildren as it has so much to offer for all age brackets. We are very proud of our 23 acres of grounds and all the facilities we can provide our guest however our best asset is our friendly team who work hard at exceeding our guest’s expectations.
We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of August and it was really good. It was a last minute booking. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, the service was really good, and the food selection provided for breakfast was excellent. Our room was really clean, well serviced and very spacious. We have been here a few times before and the staff remembered us which was so nice and made us feel even more at home. Thanks for a lovely time. We will come again!

Room Tip: All the rooms we have stayed in on our various visits have been of the same good quality.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellen C

Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review. I have shared your feedback with our team as such great comments are a boost to their morale and such great reward for their hard work.
We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!