“Disappointing 'spa'”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Disappointing 'spa'”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We booked as the area looked good and this was advertised as a spa hotel - the outdoor pool was not open, the steam room was not working and that left a sauna, a small L shaped swimming pool and a Jacuzzi with so much chlorine it hurt my eyes we only used it once. We booked treatments although had to be given one after the other as there was only one therapist. The hotel is laid out so you have to go in and out of all the buildings and there were no slippers or robes provided. The breakfast was nice and the staff were all friendly and helpful although the information given at reception didn't tally with the information in the room re: charging for towels and calling taxi's. The room was clean although small and not well maintained - light bulbs were out and there were cracks and chips in bathroom floor and sink unit. We will not be staying again as we felt to advertise this as a spa hotel was misguiding.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cdes81
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is extremely important to our establishment in order to maintain the high standards we are renowned for.

I was sorry to hear of the issues you encounter during your stay at the Resort. Following an investigation into the points raised, I would like to take this opportunity to formally respond to you as follows.

I was sorry to read that you felt mislead however Our Resort is advertise as “Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort” as we have to offer much more activities than a Hotel & Spa.

The outdoor pool is open during the summer season from May to the end of September weather depending, as most outdoor pool in Britain.

Please accept my apologies for the steam room being out of order, this broke on the Friday and due to a missing part could not be repaired before Tuesday afternoon.

Regarding our pool it is one of the biggest in this area 15 meters long by 7 metres wide, with a separate shallow end for children. We do not have a Jacuzzi only a whirlpool which does run off the same water as the pool which is chlorinated to safe levels however separate Jacuzzi water would still be chlorinated.

We have a team of 4 therapist and 1 Spa Manager although we usually have a minimum of 2 therapist on very quiet day we will only have one therapist covering treatments, which has no incidence on the quality of the treatment. Towels are free for all guests.

Although I appreciate your disappointment with your room, I can assure you that our company is dedicated to improve our Resort and we have seen a significant number of investment taking place in the last year. We have had 10 rooms refurbished to the higher standard, the majority of doors and windows replaced in each bedrooms to be completed before the winter, indoor pool tiles side retiling, Spa refurbishment as well as all our guests cloak rooms in the Manor House.

I was really please that you enjoyed the quality of our breakfast and would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the friendliness of our team.

I can also assure you that these issues were isolated incidents and not a true reflection of the high level of standards our establishment is renowned for. I sincerely hope that it will not deter you from using our company other property in the future as each is unique in their own style.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Everything in this hotel was excellent. This included the staff; the food (breakfasts were especially good); the room; the leisure facilities; even the location. We had D, B & B for three nights and if we'd stayed longer, would probably have over-eaten as the food was really good and plentiful! A couple of very small negatives - which in no way spoilt the holiday were 1) there was no free wifi (though I beleive this is soon to be remedied), and 2) the hotel's 'Club' system didn't seem to 'recognise' us - either when we reserved on the phone or booked in at the desk. This was despite the fact that we have often stayed at Macdonald hotels, which have always been very good - as they were again here.
The hotel was a perfect springboard for almost anything in the New Forest.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brindley R
Dear guest,

Thank you for such positive review left on the trip advisor website. It was such a great pleasure for me to share your feedback with the team and they thank you in return for your kind words. It is such a great reward for all their hard work at driving our company focus on quality especially on our standard of food and beverage service.
Please accept my apologies for the issues with your “Club” membership, if you contacted our “Club” team they will be able to get this issue remedied for you.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

west sussex
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is my 2nd visit here in the last 12 months. I decided to take my 3 friends and stay in a lodge so we could all stay together as they were celebrating 2 very special birthdays. I emailed Julia the head lodge housekeeper and asked her a few questions she was so professional and before we arrived I knew we were going to have a wonderful stay. Thank you so much Julia the company is very lucky to have you. The hotels is beautiful and the staff are excellent, although we did not eat in the restaurant this time we did have breakfast which was lovely and again the waitresses were great. A perfect stay, A hotel is only as good as its staff and Elmers Court have got a beautiful hotel and great staff. Well done planning my next visit already.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank debbiewestsussex
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review left on the Trip Advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Resort. I have shared your feedback with our team especially Julia as they work so hard to exceed our customers expectations and feedback such as yours is a real boost to the team morale.
On behalf of the entire team thank you again for your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Resort.

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Pleasant enough stay, lovely original main building set in well kept grounds with views sweeping down to the Solent. Well appointed and good sized and clean room.

Main reception entrance was blocked by x3 wedding cars on arrival with front door closed, not the most welcoming of receptions. Decor and furnishings of the interior reception are dated with pop up banners littering common areas.

Enjoyable breakfast in a functional dining area but worth giving the scrambled egg a wide berth. Waiting teams were very busy, welcoming and attentive as possible but suspect they were understaffed given how busy they were serving other guests and couple of our requests for more toast being overlooked.

My wife and I had a nice time

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matthew m
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on the Trip Advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Resort particularly the cleanliness of our establishment. I was sorry to read that the main entrance was obstructed for your arrival as we had a wedding on that day, I hope this was not too inconvenient to your experience. Please accept my apologies for your below standard scrambled eggs, I have asked our Head Chef to retrain his team to ensure of no further guest disappointment I have also asked our Restaurant Manager to brief his team regarding guest’s requests during breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I travelled with my husband and 11 year old daughter, and booked a family room. Upon booking in the receptionist informs us that unfortunately another guest had accidently entered and was using our room (they should have been next door)! So we had a double room and they had found a camp bed to put up for my daughter. A gentleman came along at that point and was so apologetic - he actually took our cases and took us over to the room. He came in and offered to move the folding bed to accommodate us better. He couldn't have been more helpful or pleasant.

The room was fantastic and so was the bathroom. Had all we wanted, immaculately clean and comfortable.

We found this for the whole of our stay - staff are very helpful and pleasant. The facilities are lovely but we did find that the bar drinks were a little expensive - but that's par for the course in the nicer hotels. Fantastic location for the Isle of Wight ferry, could walk it with ease. Beautiful grounds to walk too.

Would go back, its a lovely hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review left on the Trip Advisor website. I was really please to read that you had such a great time at the Resort and really enjoyed the Isle of Wight ferry to be only 5 minute walk form the Resort. I have forwarded your feedback to our team as comments such as yours are a great reward for all of their hard work.
I appreciate your comments regarding our bar prices however I can assure you that they are competitive within the New Forest area Hotels.
Thank you again for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We booked to have our wedding ceremony and reception at the hotel. The location was just perfect with the grounds leading down to views of the river. All staff were amazing, so friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble and they all did an amazing job of making our wedding day absolutely perfect. We had a BBQ reception with devious food and drink. We couldn't have wished for more. We stayed the night at the hotel in a lovely suite and had an amazing breakfast too. Would definitely recommend the hotel for weddings, and for holidays too. Thank you for making us feel so special on our wedding day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline S
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your review left on the trip advisor website and Congratulation on your Wedding. it was a great privilege to be chosen as a venue for such a great event. We were all delighted to read such positive feedback and the entire team pass on their thank you as this is a great way to recognise them for their effort and hard work. We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back at the Resort soon.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I booked Elmers court for a Spa day on the basis of their on line pictures and some of their reviews. i could not have been more disappointed with my 'Spa Day' and decided to leave after an hour. Reception was dusty and dirty and so first impressions already weren't good. The staff I encountered didn't really seem to know what was going on, and the massage I had was in a freezing cold room. Nothing about the lunch room or the rest of the day seemed inviting in any way, so I asked for my money back and decided to leave. The receptionist / spa manager decided to argue with me over the money and demand that I pay, with little interest in why I didn't think I should. I certainly won't be going here again, nor will I recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Littlewils21
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.
I was sorry to read your comments however as replied to you on email, I have thoroughly investigated your feedback and although I appreciate your disappointment I feel that our team members were never given an opportunity to make your Spa day a great experience. As witnessed on our CCTV cameras you declined your show round as you wanted to join a yoga class. The treatment room you were in after attending a yoga class had both radiators on and guests before and after commented how pleasant it was. We were fully booked on that day and our policy is “not refundable and not transferable” however as a gesture of good will our Leisure Manager agreed to only charge you for the treatment you had and not the entire day almost a 50% discount.
I was sorry to read that we could not meet your expectations on that day and that you will not be returning.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!