“Nice place but so so service.”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on15/11 having booked with Secret Escapes. The room itself was fine (23a), neat and clean with free wifi, flat screen tv and the usual tea making facilities. We ate in the steakhouse and the Waterford restaurant. The waterford was lovely with excellent food. The steakhouse was nice too but lacked atmosphere in the evening. We were the only ones in there, quite bright and with football on a large screen tv! Though the serving staff were very polite and helpful in the restaurants, the reception and room service let the hotel down.
On arrival (in the dark) you are given a map to find your room, after 2 laps of the rooms we finally found it was upstairs but it is so dark it is impossible to read the door numbers on the posts or the map. They really need to show you to your room. They also offer fresh milk from room service for your room( you have a fridge) but when I phoned up I got a short "it may be a while Madam." I'm still waiting! When we phoned to say we would have breakfast in bed (£3 surcharge) and to say we would leave the menu outside as it says to,I was told curtly told to bring it to reception instead. Think they forgot who the guest was. There was a wedding going on so perhaps they were busy but we were paying customers and shouldn't be doing their job for them.Very minor issues but politeness costs very little.
Overall, it's a nice place, with pretty grounds and good food but we wouldn't return as we have had better service for less money elsewhere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on trip advisor. Although I feel that we are excellent value for money and you would struggle to find inclusive dinner bed and breakfast in this quality location at a cheaper price I appreciate some of your comments regarding the quality of service.
Please accept my apologies for the downfall in service as you should not have had to bring your breakfast order to reception or the restaurant, these should be collected from your room if required, however because of the distance to the rooms I am sure you can appreciate that it can take our restaurant team sometime to deliver items to rooms, and I would prefer for guests to be informed rather than waiting and thinking they have been forgotten.

Jean-marc Poumel
Resort General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,626)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed over for 2 nights over this weekend and I suppose our mistake was in not asking for a room that had already been refurbished? But how were we to know (in advance), that certain rooms were far more impressive, having already been fully refurbished? We never thought of asking at the time of booking. It simply hadn't crossed our minds. However, we would now recommend to anyone reading this review and wanting to stay at Elmers Court, that you do carefully check at the time of your booking. Whilst the room allocated was spacious, it was tired. The main door lock was on its last legs and the bathroom loo didn't flush properly, and when it did, it then took ages to refill. Reported both of these to housekeeping immediately and was fobbed-off with the door fault and the maintenance chap that was promised to fix the loo, just didn't attend! We also had cob-webs on and around the ceilings and some old tired furniture, that needed replacing. If it had been our hotel and our paying guests told us that there was a problem or two with their rooms that needed sorting, we would have been on it like a shot. Sadly, their customer service is left to the those on reception, who are simple not trained properly on how to deal with any genuine queries. On leaving today, one of those on reception wasn't even prepared to listen to the wife, who by now, was beginning to get up a real head of steam and understandably was then getting quite cross. From the reception staff, we had no form of apology, no real understanding nor of wanting to understand and no offer of any price reduction or of any Macdonald vouchers that could be use in the future, for our inconvenience and disappointment! Not the way to deal with paying guests and the experience has since turned us completely off the Macdonald hotel chain. We have stayed in much better hotels than this in the UK, for a lot less money. Outside of this, we had no problems with any of the other staff around the restaurants and in the leisure complex. These girls' and guys' were excellent and they were all genuinely attentive. The food was superb though. High quality in both restaurants, although the main building's Waterford restaurant can work out costly? The grounds are lovely to walk around and the main building viewed from the outside is impressive. In conclusion; we feel that we were unlucky in being allocated a naff room and considering we had supposedly booked a special weekend offer, it did work out far more expensive than we anticipated. Cost breakdown was for; 2 nights bed and breakfast, one single spa treatment, one Waterford restaurant evening meal and one Scottish Steak Club evening meal (no excessive drinks bill), and this equated to a whooping £448. Not value for money and as I now type-up this review, my personal feeling is that, perhaps, we have been ripped-off by the uncaring face of corporate hotels? When all we wanted, was a nice quiet weekend away. How disappointing!

Room Tip: Ask first, for rooms that have already been refurbished!

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review left on trip advisor website. I was sorry to read that although you enjoyed the food and service in the Restaurant you did not enjoy your room at the Resort. Although some of the rooms have not been refurbished completely they all had new flat screen TVs, new headboards, new bed throws as well as a rolling maintenance plan improving bathrooms and repainting bedrooms. We have replaced the majority of all doors and windows with the remaining few, which are in a descent state of repair to be completed in the next 3 months.
I do not feel that a £448 2 night stay including breakfast, dinners and drinks on a week end in the New Forest area overlooking the isle of Wight with all the leisure facilities provided is at all excessive.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Jean marc Poumel
Resort general Manager

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I would just like to say iv not arrived at the hotel yet iv booked my stay for next tuesday and wednesday night. I made a few errors myself when booking this maybe something to do with being pregnant...but after a phone call to anthony on the reservations desk he has sorted everything out for me all i can say is thank you very much and am really looking forward to my stay. if this is the level of service iv received before my arrival then it looks set to be an excellent stay...cant wait and thanks again anthony
penny lawrence

1  Thank Penny L

Dear Ms Lawrence,

Thank you for your kind words, I hope you will enjoy your stay at the Resort. I have passed your thank you to Antony and he thank you in return.

Jean marc Poumel
Resort general Manager

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Booked 3 nights in an Executive Double room which was on the upper floor of the two storey 'chalet' style rooms which are separate from the main building. Our room was large with a kitchenette, settee, dressing table, lots of both wardrobe and draws for clothes and a small bathroom. It was adequate without being particularly impressive and in need of being refurbished and especially the exterior with it's slippery stairs and deck after rain.

As described in other reviews, the grounds are lovely with views down to the River Lymington though this isn't visible from most of the hotel rooms (if any) - just from rooms that are for time-share residents. The manor house from the grounds looks inviting and inside The Waterford Restaurant and adjoining Tudor Bar are nicely furnished and are an ideal environment for either eating or drinking.

We were surprised and generally impressed with the quality of the ingredients and cooking in The Waterford Restaurant with the lamb on one evening and the venison on another being excellent. Also, starters and desert were freshly prepared and enjoyable. Our one disappointment about the food was that the menu didn't change much. There's enough choice if you are staying just 2 nights but if you are staying any longer then you run out of starters, mains and deserts that you haven't already had.

Breakfast was served in the Scottish Steak Club which is in the same building as the spa. The buffet was extensive with a huge range of cold foods, excellent fresh breads, fresh orange juice etc - it was an impressive spread. Hot breakfast was cooked to order as was toast.

Staff throughout were friendly and generally attentive though, on occasions, there were some long wait times for service in The Waterford Restaurant - both when it was quiet and busy !

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and your constructive comments. I was pleased to read your feedback regarding the quality of the food and service.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the menu not changing enough fro a long term stay, I have shared it with Chef and although he will try to ensure of a greater variety he feels that in order to deliver a great consistency he has to try to keep dishes on it for a considerable amount of time. However on future long visit do not hesitate to ask him to create additional dishes for you and he will be delighted to oblige. We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We recently visited the New Forest and stayed in Elmers Court for a two night break. The Hotel was very good offering an ideal location to tour the area, and was only half a mile from the Ferry terminal to the Isle of Wight. The Food was excellent both at Breakfast and Evening Meals and the Staff were very friendly and welcoming. The Hotel had excellent Leisure facilities on site and the Grounds made for a pleasant evening walk. I would highly recommend this Hotel for a visit to the New Forest and surrounding coastal areas.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have a balcony offering better views
1  Thank John K

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review placed on the Trip Advisor website. It was a pleasure to read your feedback and how much you enjoyed our facilities, the food and service at the Resort. You are so right to point out that Elmers is in such an ideal location to visit the Isle of Wight and the new Forest.
We, hopefully will be welcoming you back very shortly.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful old building with newer additions in the grounds over looking the harbour at Lymington.

I booked via Secret Escapes but for whatever reason my booking did not show up on their system although I had all of the confirmation details. Luckily they had spare rooms so there was no problem but it could have been an issue on another occasion. The reception staff were not as helpfull as they might have been and I was left feeling that it was somehow my fault they did not have my booking!

We took advantage of the all inclusive deal which included dinner in Waterford restaurant. The staff were attentive and helpfull if a little inexperienced. The food was excellent but the wines were overpriced in my opinion with no bottle under £21.

The room was in a block set apart from the hotel. It was spacious and well equipped with a very large bed. The shower was probably the most powerfull I have ever encountered but there was mould around the bath and tiling which needs addressing.

Breakfast is taken in a separate restaurant in an adjacent block. It is a bit cramped and was very busy. The food was excellent; I judge breakfast by how well my eggs are cooked and the poached egg was nigh on perfect.

All in all the stay was very good just spoilt a little by the booking hastle.

1  Thank Evan J

Dear guest,

Thank you for your very constructive feedback. I was really pleased to read that overall you really enjoyed the food the service and our great Macdonald breakfast!!!
Please accept my apologies for the booking issue, I am sorry you were made feel this way and I have shared your comments with the reception team to ensure of no further guest disappointment.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Located adjacent to the Isle of Wight Ferry terminal this hotel offers excellent facilities. The Hotel building is a former country house of some size, offering interesting rooms and architecture. Many rooms are chalets surrounding the grounds which offer excellent accommodation. The restaurant is excellent being part of a 'clubhouse' facility with adjacent health facilities. A walk around the extensive grounds to the river offers great views across towards the Isle of Wight, whilst the well kept grounds allow post dinner walks. Recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon E

Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor. We were pleased to read that you thouroughly enjoyed your stay at the Resort. Including all the facilities and its ideal situation.
We look forward to welcome you at the resort in the not too distant future.
Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
The Crown Manor House Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
South Lawn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!