“Lovely, family orientated hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford
“Lovely, family orientated hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife, two little boys (2 & 4) and I stayed here for 3 nights for my wife's 30th birthday; we stayed in a family chalet room situated by the leisure centre. My main gripe is that much of our interaction with the hotel was via the leisure centre rather than the main building, which was disappointing after the website led me to believe otherwise. Highlights: The breakfast was to die for and the rooms were superbly furnished and prepared for a family stay.

THE ROOM: Despite the initial disappointment of arriving in the grand, old house only to be told we had to walk outside, around the building to our room, we were pleasantly surprised on entering the spacious, nicely decorated room to find the boys had a separate room within our room which had a junior bunk bed and kids welcome pack; it was perfect to be able to put them to bed in the evening and be able to sit comfortably in front of the TV. Our king size bed (2 singles joined) was very comfortable indeed. The only feedback to the hotel is that the bathroom could definitely do with a decoration refresh, as it looked very tired around the tiling. Please note, there is NO Wi-Fi connection in any of the rooms, or mobile data signal, so the only internet connection was via a BT FON connection in the restaurant); this was a shame, as internet was needed each day.

THE FOOD: Breakfast and main meals were served in the leisure centre restaurant with only afternoon tea and fine dining being situated in the old house, which was disappointing at first. We had breakfast each day, which consisted of a breakfast buffet (pastries, fruit, cereal, bread) and a cooked breakfast; put simply, the breakfast experience was an absolute dream, with polite service and delicious food; to date, Elmer Court served the best black pudding I have ever eaten! What was utterly bizarre was how such an inviting breakfast room can be such the opposite by night... I couldn't put my finger on it, but after breakfast the restaurant divides into a seating area with sofas and a dining area; it just wasn't inviting, at all... I really felt like I'd walked into a Premier Inn or Travelodge restaurant and as a consequence, I didn't want to eat in for our evening meal. Fortunately, with Lymington just down the road, there were plenty of alternatives. I should note that the menu did look decent onsite, it was just the restaurant that didn't capture me. We ordered afternoon tea on my wife's birthday, which was a generous helping of sandwiches and cakes, but the quality was not exactly as I'd expect; the cakes seemed bought, rather than prepared onsite. Nonetheless, the serving was generous and the price was very reasonable, so, on balance, I do feel we received value for money.

THE SERVICE: The service was generally pleasant and polite, but I expect that in any place that I stay; the fact our room was situated outside of the main building, I would have expected someone on hand to show me the way and perhaps offer to help with the bags, as I had my pregnant wife and 2 little boys, which meant 3 trips to and from the car were needed. As mentioned above, we ordered afternoon tea on my wife's birthday, which we were told would be served in the drawing room; when we arrived the receptionist pointed the way, rather than show ed us, and when we arrived at the room, the lights were off and it was very cold. If we'd turned up as a surprise, I could have forgiven this, however, we'd be asked to give a time, which we did, so I would have expected the room to have been made ready for our arrival. Fortunately, the staff agreed to move us into the sitting room, which was a lot warmer and inviting. The night we arrived, we did order a pizza in the bar in the leisure centre, but this arrived 35 minutes after ordering and only then arrived as I chased up the front of house... That's all the negativity (sorry!), so now for the positivity; the breakfast staff were a delight, as were the guys on the desk for the leisure centre, so well done!

THE FACILITIES: Being October, the main attractions on offer were the leisure centre and kids playground; the swimming pool, which was large and water temperature warm, was perfect for our boys and their favourite thing each day. The playground was OK, but, like the bathroom, could do with some modernisation.

THE LOCATION: Very easy access to Lymington, which was very pretty with shops and eateries, and very quick to get into the New Forest including Beaulieu.

THE VERDICT: Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and my wife and two boys really, really enjoyed themselves; for me, that was the most important thing and despite my personal high standards, the hotel was good value for money, but would benefit greatly from some thorough work on the ethos behind the staff service and some minor modernisation. It should probably also be made clear on the website that the majority of the accommodation is situated outside of the main, old house building. Note to management: I should add that, despite some of the comments above, I would be happy to return to stay at Elmer Court with my family in the future, so please take the above as constructive feedback.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lancio
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback left on the trip advisor website. I have shared these with our team as this is a great way to reward their hard work.
I am sorry if you felt that our website was misleading however it states clearly that all bedrooms are situated in their own Courtyard a minute walk from the Manor House.
As replied to many guests we have installed free WIFI in all bedrooms and outlets however this was done after your stay.
Regarding your bedrooms we are running a maintenance programme including refreshing bathrooms in our non refurbished bedrooms.
I was sorry to read your comments regarding the ambiance in our Scottish Steak Club, I will discuss your comments with our executive team to ensure we remedy this issue.
I was really pleased to read that overall you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here first weekend of December for two nights pre Xmas shopping break with my husband. First impression of the hotel was a lovely old Tudor style mansion. Not disappointed when entering the hotel. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Allocated a room outside which was strange at first as resembled a lodge park rather than a hotel. Room very nice but cold. Only one small heater which was not adequate at this time of year - bathroom freezing. Unpacked and explored the leisure club opposite. Great facilities here - swimming pool, sauna and steam room - heaven! Not really a big fan of swimming pools except in hot countries but this was lovely - hardly anyone there. Came here both days so very happy. Dinner both nights in the Waterford restaurant - absolutely wonderful. Credit to the chef and waiting staff. Food first class in taste and presentation and the staff so attentive and professional. Breakfast in the Scottish restaurant again very good and food freshly cooked to order. Looking forward to returning next year sometime but hopefully when a little warmer or in the main hotel building.

Room Tip: Rooms arranged both in and out of main hotel- check when booking.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review posted on the trip advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Resort especially the food, service and leisure facilities.
Please accept my apologies if the room temperature was not to your liking. Although guests are normally satisfied with our room temperature setting, on request, we can provide our guest additional heaters please let us know in advance and we will ensure this is in your room on arrival.
I have forwarded your feedback to our Team and they thank you in return for such complimentary comments as they are a great boost to their morale.
We look forward to welcoming you in the New Year, in the meantime we would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2014.

Resort general Manager
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Arriving in the driveway, across a bridge, the main building was like entering a National Trust Stately Home. After parking the car, a walk to reception found a very friendly and helpful Anthony and checked in with a roaring fire and large Christmas tree giving it a homely atmosphere. A printed map guided us to our room which are all located in separate blocks, thankfully it wasn't raining! Rooms on 2 levels with stairs only to upper floor rooms.
Very large room with comfortable bed, settee and even a kitchen with fridge and sink, the bathroom was large, clean and with a power shower. Plenty of heating and easily controlled.
As we were on a 2-night Secret Escapes deal, a 3-course dinner was included on both nights. Arriving at the bar, we checked in for dinner and were invited to take a drink, but unfortunately no draught beer available so only bottles of lager. The staff were very polite and friendly, a menu offered to select our first 2 courses and then we were invited to the lovely dining room which became full to take our seats. Service was good with just enough time between courses. Food was very well presented and very good especially the Lamb Shank (they ran out!).
After a good nights sleep, with no noise from neighbours (if there were any?) and newspapers ordered hanging on our door, breakfast was served in the Steak Room in the Leisure Centre (the pool looked enticing). There was an excellent choice from a well stocked buffet, but cooked breakfasts, porridge, etc orders were taken and served by friendly waitresses - far better than the help-your-self buffets in most hotels of this type where the food is piled high, often cold and people take too much and waste it. Cooked breakfast was very good and plenty of tea or coffee and toast if required.
The grounds of Elmers Court are extensive and well worth a walk down to the river and this would be a great setting in the Summer with warmer weather for drinks on the terrace.
Checking out was easy and a friendly au revoir from Anthony.
We will definitely be back, probably in the Summer next time. The area with the New Forest, Lymington and Milford-On-Sea (great view of The Needles and Isle of Wight) is fantastic.
Have joined the Macdonalds rewards scheme.

Room Tip: Probably a first floor room if mobility and stairs not a problem.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great detailed review on Trip Advisor.
I have shared your positive feedback with the team which gave them such a positive boost to their morale as they work so hard to exceed our guests’ expectations.
Thank you for also mentioning our great location so close to the New Forest, Isle of Wight ferry terminal and other great attractions of the New Forest.
I was also please to learn that you really enjoyed our food choices and as a result joined our “Club” Scheme.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

West Sussex UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel is situated just past the IOW ferry, and across the water from the town. The main house and grounds are attractive - however all bedrooms are in detached blocks - ok if it is not cold or wet! The spa and pool are in a separate block too. Some of the apartments in the complex are privately owned. Rooms are spacious and well heated, with all usual facilities. Some have small kitchenettes or bunk beds for children. Our room was slightly careworn, but overall quite acceptable.

We were on an inclusive break with Secret Escapes which included an excellent dinner in the attractive Wedgwood Restaurant, and a full buffet breakfast in the informal restaurant, with all hot choices freshly cooked. Staff were at all times friendly and attentive, and we were made to feel most welcome.

Overall, most satisfied with the value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,
Thank you for such great comments left on Trip Advisor.
I was pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time at the Resort, especially the food and friendly service. Although you liked your room thank you for your objective feedback regarding some of the aspect, I am please to say that after our 10 rooms full refurbishment we are carrying the improvement with another 8 rooms having carpets replaced and balcony painted.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Bognor Regis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was our second visit to the Elmers and we were not disappointed. The hotel is in a beautiful location with views across the water to Lymington.
This was a birthday treat and I had a back massage and a facial - really relaxing!! We used the indoor pool and the steam room as well. The pool is fairly small but if you choose a quiet time it is fine and you can swim lengths.
The only disappointing part of the trip was the dinner package. We ate in the main part of the hotel as this was part of the package - we could have eaten in the Steak Room, but as I am a vegetarian we hoped the main restaurant would be better. The restaurant and the bar area is very pleasant and the entrance hall with the Christmas tree was lovely. However the only vegetarian main that was offered was pretty dire. It was the usual risotto that is offered to vegetarians and was bland, sloppy and had I not been hungry I would not have eaten it. Actually if I had been blind folded I might have mistaken it for porridge!! We did not complain at the time as there were not a lot of diners there and we did not want to make a scene. There were two non meat starters and I wish I had just had those instead of the main. However my partner had the steak and he was not too impressed with that either and he found the forest fruits eton mess a big disappointment as well. Next time it will be the bed and breakfast WITHOUT the dinner!!! However I would thoroughly recommend this lovely hotel as a relaxing place to stay although avoid school holidays if you have not got children as I believe it gets very busy during the summer months. I would also like to mention ALL the staff who without exception were delightful, friendly and helpful. Thank you.

1 Thank TeenyBognorRegis
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your outstanding review on this website.
It is great to receive such great comments from return guests and to know that overall you had a splendid stay highlighted by the customer service provided by our team. I was mostly concerned to read your comments on the food you experienced, I have shared these with our Head Chef and asked him to ensure great care is taken to provide outstanding dishes for our vegetarian guests. He ensures me that he will be retraining his team to ensure of no further guest disappointment. Graham has suggested that next time you are at the Resort you ask to see him and he will design a vegetarian dish especially for you to restore your faith in our Waterford restaurant food.
Please do not hesitate to contact me before you make your booking to ensure your booking is processed swiftly.

New Forest, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

To celebrate our wedding anniversary we were bought afternoon tea at Elmer's Court - really looking forward to returning as we had our wedding reception there 8 years ago,

This experience was such a disappointed return, after our previous great experience

We arrived on time and were shown to the tea room, only guests there, after short while we were offered tea and the food was then brought through, we then saw one staff member five minutes later. After that we didn't see anyone else for the next 45mins - no offer of any more tea or food, in fact we finally got fed up and decided to leave.

At which point we then had the massive hassle of trying to explain that it was a prepaid experience and we didn't need to pay, this took a long time to sort out.

It's such a shame the hotel has fallen to this level as it has seriously tainted our memories of what was a great place very unfortunate .

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nessylotus
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review posted on Trip Advisor.
I was sorry to read your comments. I have thoroughly investigated your feedback and will reply as follow.
Our afternoon teas are increasingly popular and we do at week end up to 40 afternoon teas per day, the feedback is in the vast majority very pleasing.
During our quiet period, our afternoon tea team is also responsible to setting the Restaurant ready for the evening service which explains why the team member did not stay in the Glenville lounge for the duration of your afternoon tea as this could have been perceived as intrusive. However that person should have checked on satisfaction and ask if you needed additional items. Please accept my apologies if this was not the case.
Please also accept my apologies for the miscommunication regarding the payment, our procedure is to process the payment and attach the payment reference to the booking to ensure it is traceable, the person who took the payment did not follow this procedure, the leaflet you presented was not a voucher only an advertising leaflet and the Receptionist on duty was right not too accept it as a method of payment. Once the payment was promptly traced back she was able to settle the account.
I appreciate your disappointment and I agree that the standards experienced were not to the level expected by our guests however I can assure you that it was a totally isolated incident and I hope you will give us another chance at restoring your faith in our establishment.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We had a two night stay here and you can't help be impressed by the sight that greets you as you approach the hotel from the road. The period exterior is mirrored inside with panelled walls and open fires. There was some confusion over our booking but it was dealt with professionally. Our room was situated in the, frankly, ugly new addition where most of the rooms are. Very comfortable but quite a walk (outside) from the either restaurants...ok if it's not raining. We ate in the Waterford restaurant and although the food was good the service was not as you would expect. The breakfasts are fantastic and can't fault. Probably picked a bad time, but the spa was also disappointing. The pool was cold, the showers didn't work and the steam room was broken....needs improving!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bandyrobs
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review posted on tripadvisor.. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and some aspect of the service while staying at the Resort. Regarding the evening Restaurant service we have had a new team and on a couple of occasion have experienced some inconsistency in quality of organisation. We have retrained the entire team and now our team is back to its original strength quality of service is well improved and we are receiving great feedback from guests.
The steam generator has been replaced with a bigger model, and guests have also positively commented on this.
We did have an issue with our Leisure boiler which was repaired in a timely manner.
I can assure you that these issues were isolated incident and I hope you will give us another chance to restore your faith in our establishment.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
Balmer Lawn
Balmer Lawn
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,527 reviews

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!