Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
South Lawn Hotel(Milford on Sea)
US$127
PremierInn.com
US$242
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
US$79
The Cloud Hotel(Brockenhurst)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
1,657 results
All reviewswaterford restaurantspa breakmain buildingsteak clubleisure centrespa facilitiesthe scottish steak houseexecutive roomnew forestoutdoor poolbunk bedslymington piersauna and steam roombreakfast bartennis courtswedding venuegrounds are lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Elmers Court is a lovely friendly resort, in a stunning location overlooking the estuary where the Lymington - Isle of Wight ferries come and go. We go every year as we have a timeshare there in the Holbein apartments. We go every February in Week 6. The minute we pull up outside the big Tudor Style Manor House we feel instantly relaxed. We've been here as a couple and a family in the past, and its perfect for both.

The staff at Elmers Court are exceptional, and always have been. Very friendly and courteous and nothing is to much trouble. Even the housekeeping staff will do anything to help you and will bring you new bedding or an extra towel. I love the home from home feel in our apartment. The complex is always very quiet and the children who come on holiday are always impeccably behaved. No kids running around and screaming etc. The pool, sauna and steam rooms are always clean, but the pool can get busy during weekends and in school holidays as the locals can use the facilities and become members of the leisure club.

There's also a river running through Elmers at the entrance gates. There's often a goose there who has been a local resident for years and his mates (a few ducks). The children have fun feeding them. They often approach the apartments and can be seen on your patio in the morning. We've seen 2 New Forest Ponies in Elmers in previous years too. They seem to have just wandered in one night. There's also a large outside draughts board to play with, a woodland play area, outside pool for the summer months, an outside tennis court (for hire), croquet on the lawn, 18 hole mini golf course, a beautifully warm indoor pool with swim-in Jacuzzi, a sauna and steam room, table tennis tables, a gym, organised activities for the kids in holiday times and a health spa for that much needed massage, a bar and restaurant plus the stunning Waterford silver-services Restaurant. Its all there at Elmers. You need not leave the grounds.

The Waterford Restaurant is well worth a visit. The silver service in the historic dining room is a wonderful experience. The food is out of this world and always of a very high standard. Exquisite dining experience. The large open log fire in the bar, the old Tudor wood furnishings etc. all add to a very romantic stay away. You won't be disappointed. You feel like your a million miles away from the hubbub of your everyday life at Elmers. A little haven and escape in a beautiful setting on the outskirts of the New Forest, within a 15 minute drive of Bealieu (which is well worth a visit too).

Would we ever do a timeshare exchange and go elsewhere..............never in a million!! Been going to Elmers for 15 years +. Its our escapism for a week and we love it ! See you in February 2014 Elmers! :)

Room Tip: We've not stayed in the main hotel, but Holbein 7 where we stay every year is a timeshare apartment. Its a 2 double bedroomed place with lounge/diner overlooking the 18 hole mini golf course out the back and the estuary. Its lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review on the trip advisor website. I have shared your kind words with the entire team and they thank you in return.
It gives the team such satisfaction to read that they can make a great difference to our guests experience in a great positive manner.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at Elmers Court for your week, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you need anything to be organised before your stay.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

my partner and myself stayed for a week. We were greeted very warmly at reception and during the week were helpful with any info we needed.
We used the pool Sauna and steam which was lovely, towels provided. There is a squash court which is not shown on website. We had a meal first evening with a 6 o clock deal very nice in the steak house.I did think food was pricey but enough facilities to do your own food. There is a Waitrose in the town. The steak bar was nice to sit in for a drink. The whole complex is just lovely. We walked to the town half hour stroll, lovely shops also went foot passengers to Yarmouth then used bus pass. On the way home went to Sammy Millers motorbike museum. Went to Saturday market Lymington ,was okay for us to leave car on site after vacating room.

Room Tip: We were in Solent View 2nd floor. Fabulous 2 beds ensuite plus bathroom. Large balcony which we sat out on with vino and book watching ferries in the sun.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments left on the trip advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities and made the best of our great location.
You were also right to mention that our 6 @ 6 offer in our Scottish Steak Club is extremely good value for money. I can assure you that all of our prices are measured on our competitors and are very competitive baring in mind our location and services offered.
Thank you again for such positive feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Resort soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

My wife, two little boys (2 & 4) and I stayed here for 3 nights for my wife's 30th birthday; we stayed in a family chalet room situated by the leisure centre. My main gripe is that much of our interaction with the hotel was via the leisure centre rather than the main building, which was disappointing after the website led me to believe otherwise. Highlights: The breakfast was to die for and the rooms were superbly furnished and prepared for a family stay.

THE ROOM: Despite the initial disappointment of arriving in the grand, old house only to be told we had to walk outside, around the building to our room, we were pleasantly surprised on entering the spacious, nicely decorated room to find the boys had a separate room within our room which had a junior bunk bed and kids welcome pack; it was perfect to be able to put them to bed in the evening and be able to sit comfortably in front of the TV. Our king size bed (2 singles joined) was very comfortable indeed. The only feedback to the hotel is that the bathroom could definitely do with a decoration refresh, as it looked very tired around the tiling. Please note, there is NO Wi-Fi connection in any of the rooms, or mobile data signal, so the only internet connection was via a BT FON connection in the restaurant); this was a shame, as internet was needed each day.

THE FOOD: Breakfast and main meals were served in the leisure centre restaurant with only afternoon tea and fine dining being situated in the old house, which was disappointing at first. We had breakfast each day, which consisted of a breakfast buffet (pastries, fruit, cereal, bread) and a cooked breakfast; put simply, the breakfast experience was an absolute dream, with polite service and delicious food; to date, Elmer Court served the best black pudding I have ever eaten! What was utterly bizarre was how such an inviting breakfast room can be such the opposite by night... I couldn't put my finger on it, but after breakfast the restaurant divides into a seating area with sofas and a dining area; it just wasn't inviting, at all... I really felt like I'd walked into a Premier Inn or Travelodge restaurant and as a consequence, I didn't want to eat in for our evening meal. Fortunately, with Lymington just down the road, there were plenty of alternatives. I should note that the menu did look decent onsite, it was just the restaurant that didn't capture me. We ordered afternoon tea on my wife's birthday, which was a generous helping of sandwiches and cakes, but the quality was not exactly as I'd expect; the cakes seemed bought, rather than prepared onsite. Nonetheless, the serving was generous and the price was very reasonable, so, on balance, I do feel we received value for money.

THE SERVICE: The service was generally pleasant and polite, but I expect that in any place that I stay; the fact our room was situated outside of the main building, I would have expected someone on hand to show me the way and perhaps offer to help with the bags, as I had my pregnant wife and 2 little boys, which meant 3 trips to and from the car were needed. As mentioned above, we ordered afternoon tea on my wife's birthday, which we were told would be served in the drawing room; when we arrived the receptionist pointed the way, rather than show ed us, and when we arrived at the room, the lights were off and it was very cold. If we'd turned up as a surprise, I could have forgiven this, however, we'd be asked to give a time, which we did, so I would have expected the room to have been made ready for our arrival. Fortunately, the staff agreed to move us into the sitting room, which was a lot warmer and inviting. The night we arrived, we did order a pizza in the bar in the leisure centre, but this arrived 35 minutes after ordering and only then arrived as I chased up the front of house... That's all the negativity (sorry!), so now for the positivity; the breakfast staff were a delight, as were the guys on the desk for the leisure centre, so well done!

THE FACILITIES: Being October, the main attractions on offer were the leisure centre and kids playground; the swimming pool, which was large and water temperature warm, was perfect for our boys and their favourite thing each day. The playground was OK, but, like the bathroom, could do with some modernisation.

THE LOCATION: Very easy access to Lymington, which was very pretty with shops and eateries, and very quick to get into the New Forest including Beaulieu.

THE VERDICT: Overall, we had a very pleasant stay and my wife and two boys really, really enjoyed themselves; for me, that was the most important thing and despite my personal high standards, the hotel was good value for money, but would benefit greatly from some thorough work on the ethos behind the staff service and some minor modernisation. It should probably also be made clear on the website that the majority of the accommodation is situated outside of the main, old house building. Note to management: I should add that, despite some of the comments above, I would be happy to return to stay at Elmer Court with my family in the future, so please take the above as constructive feedback.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lancio

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback left on the trip advisor website. I have shared these with our team as this is a great way to reward their hard work.
I am sorry if you felt that our website was misleading however it states clearly that all bedrooms are situated in their own Courtyard a minute walk from the Manor House.
As replied to many guests we have installed free WIFI in all bedrooms and outlets however this was done after your stay.
Regarding your bedrooms we are running a maintenance programme including refreshing bathrooms in our non refurbished bedrooms.
I was sorry to read your comments regarding the ambiance in our Scottish Steak Club, I will discuss your comments with our executive team to ensure we remedy this issue.
I was really pleased to read that overall you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here first weekend of December for two nights pre Xmas shopping break with my husband. First impression of the hotel was a lovely old Tudor style mansion. Not disappointed when entering the hotel. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Allocated a room outside which was strange at first as resembled a lodge park rather than a hotel. Room very nice but cold. Only one small heater which was not adequate at this time of year - bathroom freezing. Unpacked and explored the leisure club opposite. Great facilities here - swimming pool, sauna and steam room - heaven! Not really a big fan of swimming pools except in hot countries but this was lovely - hardly anyone there. Came here both days so very happy. Dinner both nights in the Waterford restaurant - absolutely wonderful. Credit to the chef and waiting staff. Food first class in taste and presentation and the staff so attentive and professional. Breakfast in the Scottish restaurant again very good and food freshly cooked to order. Looking forward to returning next year sometime but hopefully when a little warmer or in the main hotel building.

Room Tip: Rooms arranged both in and out of main hotel- check when booking.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review posted on the trip advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Resort especially the food, service and leisure facilities.
Please accept my apologies if the room temperature was not to your liking. Although guests are normally satisfied with our room temperature setting, on request, we can provide our guest additional heaters please let us know in advance and we will ensure this is in your room on arrival.
I have forwarded your feedback to our Team and they thank you in return for such complimentary comments as they are a great boost to their morale.
We look forward to welcoming you in the New Year, in the meantime we would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2014.

Resort general Manager

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Arriving in the driveway, across a bridge, the main building was like entering a National Trust Stately Home. After parking the car, a walk to reception found a very friendly and helpful Anthony and checked in with a roaring fire and large Christmas tree giving it a homely atmosphere. A printed map guided us to our room which are all located in separate blocks, thankfully it wasn't raining! Rooms on 2 levels with stairs only to upper floor rooms.
Very large room with comfortable bed, settee and even a kitchen with fridge and sink, the bathroom was large, clean and with a power shower. Plenty of heating and easily controlled.
As we were on a 2-night Secret Escapes deal, a 3-course dinner was included on both nights. Arriving at the bar, we checked in for dinner and were invited to take a drink, but unfortunately no draught beer available so only bottles of lager. The staff were very polite and friendly, a menu offered to select our first 2 courses and then we were invited to the lovely dining room which became full to take our seats. Service was good with just enough time between courses. Food was very well presented and very good especially the Lamb Shank (they ran out!).
After a good nights sleep, with no noise from neighbours (if there were any?) and newspapers ordered hanging on our door, breakfast was served in the Steak Room in the Leisure Centre (the pool looked enticing). There was an excellent choice from a well stocked buffet, but cooked breakfasts, porridge, etc orders were taken and served by friendly waitresses - far better than the help-your-self buffets in most hotels of this type where the food is piled high, often cold and people take too much and waste it. Cooked breakfast was very good and plenty of tea or coffee and toast if required.
The grounds of Elmers Court are extensive and well worth a walk down to the river and this would be a great setting in the Summer with warmer weather for drinks on the terrace.
Checking out was easy and a friendly au revoir from Anthony.
We will definitely be back, probably in the Summer next time. The area with the New Forest, Lymington and Milford-On-Sea (great view of The Needles and Isle of Wight) is fantastic.
Have joined the Macdonalds rewards scheme.

Room Tip: Probably a first floor room if mobility and stairs not a problem.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great detailed review on Trip Advisor.
I have shared your positive feedback with the team which gave them such a positive boost to their morale as they work so hard to exceed our guests’ expectations.
Thank you for also mentioning our great location so close to the New Forest, Isle of Wight ferry terminal and other great attractions of the New Forest.
I was also please to learn that you really enjoyed our food choices and as a result joined our “Club” Scheme.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.