“Frustrating. So close to great... Yet so far to go!”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Frustrating. So close to great... Yet so far to go!”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Firstly, the Hotel is in a beautiful area and is easy to find. First impressions don't disappoint either.
We knew from reading other reviews that we would be staying in 'chalet' style rooms away from the main house- and this was fine by us.
The room for myself, my Husband and 8 year old daughter was spacious with a large fold out sofa bed for her (which she loved). Unfortunately, ours was not one of the rooms which has recently been refurbished- and it showed. The decor was terribly dated and mis-matched, however the room was very clean and that is far more important to us. So we were happy.
Upon arriving we went for a swim in the lovely indoor pool (perhaps if anything, a little TOO warm!). The pool, steam room and sauna were great. Changing rooms ok- though not enough private ones for those of us who prefer not to disrobe in front of the general public.
Food at breakfast was average but dinner at the Waterford Restaurant was great ( other than soup on first night which was terrible- but we really believe that was the exception for the restaurant rather than the rule.
The only problem was service in the restaurant. After very enthusiastic welcomes and taking the orders we saw nothing else of the waiting staff. On both nights we dined there we were not once offered more drinks, or water. I found myself having to call staff over every time I wanted another glass of wine. This seems like bad business to me- and I bet they are losing a lot of money through lost sales of beverages. I heard other guests venting their frustration over this too, so really think it needs to be addressed.
I liked it at this hotel. I didn't love it.
We got a great deal through Secret Escapes for the stay and I think it was worth what we paid. I would be extremely unhappy had we paid full price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Camilla T
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on the trip advisor website. I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your experience at the Resort.
Please accept my apologies for the less tan satisfactory service you received in the Waterford Restaurant. I can assure you that we are aware of this issue and have taken swift action to remedy it.
I can assure you that it was an isolated case and we have retrained our team to avoid further customer disappointment.
I have also discussed the less than satisfactory soup you were served with our Head Chef and I have asked for his team to be retrained to ensure of no recurrence of this drop in standards.
I sincerely hope that despite these issues you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations, please contact us for further booking.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We've recently returned from Elmer's Court and had a great time. We booked on laterooms.com and weren't expecting much as we were so late booking. Expectations were exceeded. The apartment was very spacious (2 bed Tudor apartment) and the staff were all very friendly. Pool was great for our 3 and 6 year olds (changing rooms NOT too small despite what an earlier reviewer said). If we were being critical the apartment decor was dated - but all very clean and spacious. Loved the groovy drinks cabinet and pull down sofa bed! Recommended. All the benefits of a hotel with the freedom of self catering. Everyone's a winner!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review placed on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay in one of our apartments. Elmers Court Hotel & Resort has 54 self catering apartments as well as 42 bedrooms offering an array of accommodation to suit most guests’ preference.
Thank you for recommending our pool facilities too as we have, lately, invested a considerable amount of money including full pool filtration and pool side refurbishment, brand new steam room generator, new sauna benches, new digital locker locks and other minor improvements to the pleasure of our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future, maybe next time you could book directly on our website or by calling our Reservation team as we guaranty the best available rate as well as getting a £10 voucher as a returning guest.

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We got married here in August and it was everything we could have wished for. The weather was great, so we were able to have the ceremony outside, which everyone has since commented made it really special. The venue is beautiful with the long lawn down to the Solent and Isle of Wight in the background.

On the day itself, the food was exactly as our taster meal (and a big hit with our wedding guests), the staff were excellent dealing with decisions with minimum fuss (for example setting up the ceremony outside) and the rooming was just right for a wedding our size (75 day guests/130 in total for the evening). They could go between the two rooms and the patio with ease and it felt intimate but not squashed.

A special thank you to Kirsty Bull, the wedding organiser, who handled everything so well, taking out all of the stress of the event. She was excellent in the lead up and on the day itself, with nothing being too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review left on the trip advisor website and belated Congratulation on your Wedding. it was a great privilege to be chosen as a venue for such a great event. We were all delighted to read such positive feedback more importantly Kirsty and the event team who works so hard to ensure they exceed your expectations. The entire team pass on their thank you as this is a great way to recognise them for their effort and dedication. We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back at the Resort soon.

Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Christmas Package 2013.Elmer’s Court Hotel & Resort Lymington in the New Forest.
Storms in the South East caused many problems such as floods, fallen trees, power lines down and electricity cuts in the area of Lymington, Hants.
Regrettably, Elmer’s Court suffered a partial power cut which affected our rooms over 4 days/nights.
May I compliment all of the Staff for their positive attitude and help in this situation which was beyond anyone’s control?
My thanks to the rain soaked House Keepers and maids who serviced the rooms with a torch in order to see. To Reception Manager Anthony Hickman, Danica and others who had the task to relocate those in immediate need of warmth, light and hot water in an already fully booked Hotel.
Thanks to Rebecca for setting up client’s Cloud Wi-fi ,the Restaurant /Bar staff and Chefs who kept us well fed and watered and Paul from the Maintenance Dept who kept up everyone’s spirit up and the log fires!
Many thanks to the resort General Manager Mr. Jean-Marc Poumel who was always available and kept us fully up to date with the ongoing issue of the power cut whilst dealing with other immediate problems.
Eventually I am pleased to say that Anthony was able to place both myself and my guest into an apartment in Solent View for the nights of the 25th/26th December for which we were very grateful. Thanks again to Paul for the speed at which our luggage was moved and the introduction to the workings of the Apartment.
This is my 3rd stay at Elmer's Court and look I forward to returning.
PS (We took advantage of the Sauna and booked three Spa Treatments which were all A1)

Room Tip: Talk direct to Mr Antony Hickman,Reception Manager and discuss any special needs as outside stairs l...
Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such rewarding review on the trip advisor website. I have shared your feedback with our entire team including Antony, Danica, Paul and our House Keeper Kim who had to carry out turndown despite the horrid conditions.
It was a really difficult time for the team however as always they prioritised our guests’ comfort and worked extremely hard to ensure the vast majority of our guests enjoyed their Christmas break.
We really look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Cardiff
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have stayed a few times now. Great for visiting Lymington and surrounding areas. We have stayed in one of the refurbished feature family rooms twice now - room number one - which was outside of the main house and at first floor level. These rooms are some of the best family rooms we have found wherever we have stayed. Big main room with small room off that for the kids with bunk beds and seperate flat screen tv. Good family bathroom. Standards of decor good, very comfortable room and very large beds. Main restaurant very nice but has a quieter atmosphere so not really one for the kids. Scottish steak restaurant okay but on our second visit just one chap Steve was having to do everything - which he did very well but clearly it would have been better for all concerned if he had received some help. Loads of local pubs offering good food so would recommend those. A very good all round hotel though.

Room Tip: If you want a family room, go for the refurbished feature family rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank teeee444
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your more than positive feedback left on the trip advisor website. I have forwarded these to our team as compliment such as yours is paramount to keep team morale on high.
I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your experience in our large family bedrooms on more than one occasion now, as return business is the best testament to good customer service.
I was sorry to read your comments regarding the Service in our Scottish Steak Club, I agree that on that particular evening additional help should have been on hands and I have asked our Operations Manager to ensure we have sufficient coverage at all time.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Elmers Court is a lovely friendly resort, in a stunning location overlooking the estuary where the Lymington - Isle of Wight ferries come and go. We go every year as we have a timeshare there in the Holbein apartments. We go every February in Week 6. The minute we pull up outside the big Tudor Style Manor House we feel instantly relaxed. We've been here as a couple and a family in the past, and its perfect for both.

The staff at Elmers Court are exceptional, and always have been. Very friendly and courteous and nothing is to much trouble. Even the housekeeping staff will do anything to help you and will bring you new bedding or an extra towel. I love the home from home feel in our apartment. The complex is always very quiet and the children who come on holiday are always impeccably behaved. No kids running around and screaming etc. The pool, sauna and steam rooms are always clean, but the pool can get busy during weekends and in school holidays as the locals can use the facilities and become members of the leisure club.

There's also a river running through Elmers at the entrance gates. There's often a goose there who has been a local resident for years and his mates (a few ducks). The children have fun feeding them. They often approach the apartments and can be seen on your patio in the morning. We've seen 2 New Forest Ponies in Elmers in previous years too. They seem to have just wandered in one night. There's also a large outside draughts board to play with, a woodland play area, outside pool for the summer months, an outside tennis court (for hire), croquet on the lawn, 18 hole mini golf course, a beautifully warm indoor pool with swim-in Jacuzzi, a sauna and steam room, table tennis tables, a gym, organised activities for the kids in holiday times and a health spa for that much needed massage, a bar and restaurant plus the stunning Waterford silver-services Restaurant. Its all there at Elmers. You need not leave the grounds.

The Waterford Restaurant is well worth a visit. The silver service in the historic dining room is a wonderful experience. The food is out of this world and always of a very high standard. Exquisite dining experience. The large open log fire in the bar, the old Tudor wood furnishings etc. all add to a very romantic stay away. You won't be disappointed. You feel like your a million miles away from the hubbub of your everyday life at Elmers. A little haven and escape in a beautiful setting on the outskirts of the New Forest, within a 15 minute drive of Bealieu (which is well worth a visit too).

Would we ever do a timeshare exchange and go elsewhere..............never in a million!! Been going to Elmers for 15 years +. Its our escapism for a week and we love it ! See you in February 2014 Elmers! :)

Room Tip: We've not stayed in the main hotel, but Holbein 7 where we stay every year is a timeshare apartm...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review on the trip advisor website. I have shared your kind words with the entire team and they thank you in return.
It gives the team such satisfaction to read that they can make a great difference to our guests experience in a great positive manner.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at Elmers Court for your week, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if you need anything to be organised before your stay.

Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

my partner and myself stayed for a week. We were greeted very warmly at reception and during the week were helpful with any info we needed.
We used the pool Sauna and steam which was lovely, towels provided. There is a squash court which is not shown on website. We had a meal first evening with a 6 o clock deal very nice in the steak house.I did think food was pricey but enough facilities to do your own food. There is a Waitrose in the town. The steak bar was nice to sit in for a drink. The whole complex is just lovely. We walked to the town half hour stroll, lovely shops also went foot passengers to Yarmouth then used bus pass. On the way home went to Sammy Millers motorbike museum. Went to Saturday market Lymington ,was okay for us to leave car on site after vacating room.

Room Tip: We were in Solent View 2nd floor. Fabulous 2 beds ensuite plus bathroom. Large balcony which we sat...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments left on the trip advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed our facilities and made the best of our great location.
You were also right to mention that our 6 @ 6 offer in our Scottish Steak Club is extremely good value for money. I can assure you that all of our prices are measured on our competitors and are very competitive baring in mind our location and services offered.
Thank you again for such positive feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Resort soon.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#3 of 11 in Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!