“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I booked this for my wife's birthday, as a surprise Spa treat and luxury hotel stay. Upon arrival there was a power cut, no fault of the hotel and the staff did the best they could, lending us a torch and letting us know what the problem was etc.

The Grounds were very impressive, lovely entrance looking directly at the manor house. The disappointing thing is you don't actually stay there, as we were led out the back to some newish anonymous chalets, from the website it says "a minutes walk to the courtyard", which in my mind insinuated converted old stables - which would be lovely. There are no pictures of the outside of the chalets on the website.

The whole Hotel is open to the public, anyone can use the Swimming pool, gym, steak house and spa, which gives the impression of a leisure center. Also the resort has time share apartments, and a few of these had rubbish bags outside. The car park has 3 large orange Biffa bins in plain view, not even behind a fence, not the sort of image the website portrays.

Our room was fairly spacious, had some nice furniture, a heated mirror in the bathroom - never seen that before in a hotel, nice touch. But also had cobwebs on the ceiling, dust on a lot of the surfaces and air-con vents. The air condition was inoperative, but not a problem in January. The carpet between the twin beds was very dirty and had hairs everywhere. Luckily nobody was staying in the above chalet, the cleaner made a terrible noise, every movement went straight through the ceiling.

After the electric came back on, we went to the spa to discuss my wife's treatments for the following day. I had phoned beforehand and booked a full 4 hour session for whatever she wanted. But they had only actually booked for 1 hour, not impressed. After the let down with the whole hotel, we decided to cancel the spa.

The best points. The breakfast was very nice, good quality sausage, bacon and breads, good selection of cold foods also. Friendly staff in the whole hotel. Lovely manor house and gardens.

The next day we left early. Thankfully I booked it as a flexible rate. Well worth paying the extra as it minimised our losses on a disappointing hotel. It defiantly was not worth £144 a night, I expected a certain level of luxury for that price, it felt like a cross between Premier Inn and Center Parcs.

I didn't complain at the time, as it was mainly problems relating to miss selling from the website.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wussel1979
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I was really surprised to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and I have discussed these with our Head House Keeper and we have checked the room you stayed on, the room was cleaned however she has retrained her team and check all other bedroom on the point you made, to ensure of no further guest disappointment.
Regarding the air con, we do not have aircon in any of the bedrooms. The room you stayed in was partially refurbished few years ago and aircon access was put in place to facilitate further install.
Regarding the Spa booking, we have only record of your 1 hour booking, so please contact me directly to discuss as without further information I cannot take further action.
I was sorry to read that you felt it was not worth the rate you paid for and I would ask that you gave us another chance to demonstrate to you the great standards we are renowned for. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to book your next stay.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was very lucky to be here, in the hotel, during one of the warmest October on record, great outdoor swimming pool. So decided to come back with family and stay in one of the self-catering apartments for the New Year, it's a fully equipped flat, electricity is extra, paid around £4 p/day, you can shower in the changing room, very nice indoor swimming pool with sauna, they also have pool and table tennis. Beautiful place, good service.

Room Tip: if you pay for wifi in the room, quite cheap, pay per view films are included.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review placed on Trip advisor. It was great to read that on 2 occasion we were able to exceed your expectations. I have forwarded your feedback to the team and they thank you in return.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Firstly, the Hotel is in a beautiful area and is easy to find. First impressions don't disappoint either.
We knew from reading other reviews that we would be staying in 'chalet' style rooms away from the main house- and this was fine by us.
The room for myself, my Husband and 8 year old daughter was spacious with a large fold out sofa bed for her (which she loved). Unfortunately, ours was not one of the rooms which has recently been refurbished- and it showed. The decor was terribly dated and mis-matched, however the room was very clean and that is far more important to us. So we were happy.
Upon arriving we went for a swim in the lovely indoor pool (perhaps if anything, a little TOO warm!). The pool, steam room and sauna were great. Changing rooms ok- though not enough private ones for those of us who prefer not to disrobe in front of the general public.
Food at breakfast was average but dinner at the Waterford Restaurant was great ( other than soup on first night which was terrible- but we really believe that was the exception for the restaurant rather than the rule.
The only problem was service in the restaurant. After very enthusiastic welcomes and taking the orders we saw nothing else of the waiting staff. On both nights we dined there we were not once offered more drinks, or water. I found myself having to call staff over every time I wanted another glass of wine. This seems like bad business to me- and I bet they are losing a lot of money through lost sales of beverages. I heard other guests venting their frustration over this too, so really think it needs to be addressed.
I liked it at this hotel. I didn't love it.
We got a great deal through Secret Escapes for the stay and I think it was worth what we paid. I would be extremely unhappy had we paid full price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Camilla T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on the trip advisor website. I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your experience at the Resort.
Please accept my apologies for the less tan satisfactory service you received in the Waterford Restaurant. I can assure you that we are aware of this issue and have taken swift action to remedy it.
I can assure you that it was an isolated case and we have retrained our team to avoid further customer disappointment.
I have also discussed the less than satisfactory soup you were served with our Head Chef and I have asked for his team to be retrained to ensure of no recurrence of this drop in standards.
I sincerely hope that despite these issues you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations, please contact us for further booking.

Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We've recently returned from Elmer's Court and had a great time. We booked on laterooms.com and weren't expecting much as we were so late booking. Expectations were exceeded. The apartment was very spacious (2 bed Tudor apartment) and the staff were all very friendly. Pool was great for our 3 and 6 year olds (changing rooms NOT too small despite what an earlier reviewer said). If we were being critical the apartment decor was dated - but all very clean and spacious. Loved the groovy drinks cabinet and pull down sofa bed! Recommended. All the benefits of a hotel with the freedom of self catering. Everyone's a winner!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review placed on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay in one of our apartments. Elmers Court Hotel & Resort has 54 self catering apartments as well as 42 bedrooms offering an array of accommodation to suit most guests’ preference.
Thank you for recommending our pool facilities too as we have, lately, invested a considerable amount of money including full pool filtration and pool side refurbishment, brand new steam room generator, new sauna benches, new digital locker locks and other minor improvements to the pleasure of our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future, maybe next time you could book directly on our website or by calling our Reservation team as we guaranty the best available rate as well as getting a £10 voucher as a returning guest.

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We got married here in August and it was everything we could have wished for. The weather was great, so we were able to have the ceremony outside, which everyone has since commented made it really special. The venue is beautiful with the long lawn down to the Solent and Isle of Wight in the background.

On the day itself, the food was exactly as our taster meal (and a big hit with our wedding guests), the staff were excellent dealing with decisions with minimum fuss (for example setting up the ceremony outside) and the rooming was just right for a wedding our size (75 day guests/130 in total for the evening). They could go between the two rooms and the patio with ease and it felt intimate but not squashed.

A special thank you to Kirsty Bull, the wedding organiser, who handled everything so well, taking out all of the stress of the event. She was excellent in the lead up and on the day itself, with nothing being too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review left on the trip advisor website and belated Congratulation on your Wedding. it was a great privilege to be chosen as a venue for such a great event. We were all delighted to read such positive feedback more importantly Kirsty and the event team who works so hard to ensure they exceed your expectations. The entire team pass on their thank you as this is a great way to recognise them for their effort and dedication. We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back at the Resort soon.

Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Christmas Package 2013.Elmer’s Court Hotel & Resort Lymington in the New Forest.
Storms in the South East caused many problems such as floods, fallen trees, power lines down and electricity cuts in the area of Lymington, Hants.
Regrettably, Elmer’s Court suffered a partial power cut which affected our rooms over 4 days/nights.
May I compliment all of the Staff for their positive attitude and help in this situation which was beyond anyone’s control?
My thanks to the rain soaked House Keepers and maids who serviced the rooms with a torch in order to see. To Reception Manager Anthony Hickman, Danica and others who had the task to relocate those in immediate need of warmth, light and hot water in an already fully booked Hotel.
Thanks to Rebecca for setting up client’s Cloud Wi-fi ,the Restaurant /Bar staff and Chefs who kept us well fed and watered and Paul from the Maintenance Dept who kept up everyone’s spirit up and the log fires!
Many thanks to the resort General Manager Mr. Jean-Marc Poumel who was always available and kept us fully up to date with the ongoing issue of the power cut whilst dealing with other immediate problems.
Eventually I am pleased to say that Anthony was able to place both myself and my guest into an apartment in Solent View for the nights of the 25th/26th December for which we were very grateful. Thanks again to Paul for the speed at which our luggage was moved and the introduction to the workings of the Apartment.
This is my 3rd stay at Elmer's Court and look I forward to returning.
PS (We took advantage of the Sauna and booked three Spa Treatments which were all A1)

Room Tip: Talk direct to Mr Antony Hickman,Reception Manager and discuss any special needs as outside stairs l...
Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such rewarding review on the trip advisor website. I have shared your feedback with our entire team including Antony, Danica, Paul and our House Keeper Kim who had to carry out turndown despite the horrid conditions.
It was a really difficult time for the team however as always they prioritised our guests’ comfort and worked extremely hard to ensure the vast majority of our guests enjoyed their Christmas break.
We really look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Cardiff
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have stayed a few times now. Great for visiting Lymington and surrounding areas. We have stayed in one of the refurbished feature family rooms twice now - room number one - which was outside of the main house and at first floor level. These rooms are some of the best family rooms we have found wherever we have stayed. Big main room with small room off that for the kids with bunk beds and seperate flat screen tv. Good family bathroom. Standards of decor good, very comfortable room and very large beds. Main restaurant very nice but has a quieter atmosphere so not really one for the kids. Scottish steak restaurant okay but on our second visit just one chap Steve was having to do everything - which he did very well but clearly it would have been better for all concerned if he had received some help. Loads of local pubs offering good food so would recommend those. A very good all round hotel though.

Room Tip: If you want a family room, go for the refurbished feature family rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank teeee444
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your more than positive feedback left on the trip advisor website. I have forwarded these to our team as compliment such as yours is paramount to keep team morale on high.
I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your experience in our large family bedrooms on more than one occasion now, as return business is the best testament to good customer service.
I was sorry to read your comments regarding the Service in our Scottish Steak Club, I agree that on that particular evening additional help should have been on hands and I have asked our Operations Manager to ensure we have sufficient coverage at all time.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
Lime Wood Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,240 reviews

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!