“Family Event” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Family Event”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Once the suggestion had been made that Elmers Court Hotel, Lymington may be a fitting venue for our family event, I made an informal visit and subsequently arranged to meet with the Events Coordinator, along with my mother and sister, so we could discuss our requirements, We were shown the rooms available and the Waterford Room felt just right for our purpose, with pleasant decor and the additional benefit of having lovely views through the windows of the well kept grounds and across The Solent to the Isle Of Wight.

When I made my impromptu visit, reception staff were welcoming and helpful and they didn't hesitate to call a member of staff to show me around. The arranged meeting went very well with the Events Coordinator, who was professional in manner, very friendly and calm; nothing seemed to be too much trouble regarding our requests. We left the meeting to discuss things as a family, but we were all in immediate agreement about using Elmers Court.

During the event arranging stages, it was possible for most things to be dealt with over the 'phone, but if the Events Coordinator was not immediately available when I telephoned, I was always informed when she would be there and I found messages were passed on and communication was good - all very important. We had one further meeting before the day to confirm the lay out of the room, seating arrangements etc and to ensure we had all things covered.

On the day of the event, we found all our wishes had been accommodated. There was sufficient parking for our guests, the facilities were clean and all areas we used were very comfortable. The buffet food was very good in terms of amount and quality and vegetarians and gluten free diets were catered for. All catering staff were polite and helpful. The tables were sensitively decorated with fresh flowers and as a family we couldn't have been more pleased and satisfied with the day, which we will cherish positively and as a very memorable occasion.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ailuj2014
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review shared on Trip advisor. I was delighted to read your comments regarding your family event.
I was so glad that we were able to cater for your every need and that you found the team to be polite and helpful. I have forwarded your comments to the team and they send their gratitude to you and your family. Thank you again and we hope to see you at the Resort in the not too distant future.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I booked this hotel as a spa package through lastminute.com for a Christmas present for my mum and I feel that we got great value for money. The hotel is beautiful and we stayed in a chalet style room outside, the rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. The beds was very comfortable and the setting is very quiet and peaceful.

The spa is lovely, the treatments we had were excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. If we had paid for the treatments separately it would have been very expensive but booking with the package deal we found it very good value for money and left feeling relaxed and pampered.

We ate lunch in the steak restaurant and this was good. Again good value as I hold a tastecard and got 2 for 1 on the meal. If you were coming to this hotel for more than a few nights might be worth investing in a tastecard as we actually saved quite a bit of money on our food and drinks throughout the stay as you can use this in the Waterford Restaurant also. Our evening meal was booked as part of the package in the Waterford Restaurant and we couldn't fault the food or the service. Our waitress Becca, was lovely and very attentive, she was very knowledgeable about wine and gave us a little wine tasting lesson! We got 2 courses with our package and paid for dessert separately, which I was able to use my tastecard so got 1 for free. The dessert was amazing and definitely worth paying a bit extra for. We also enjoyed drinks in the bar after dinner and again the service was faultless. Breakfast the next day was very nice and there was a wide range of food on offer.

Overall the hotel exceeded our expectations, after reading some reviews on trip advisor I was nervous about staying here. Do not listen to the other reviews as I have found nothing to complain about unless you are a miserable, picky person that enjoys complaining for the sake of it. If you book this hotel as part of package you will get a good deal and wont be disappointed. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Becky M
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for such great feedback left on the trip advisor website. I have shared your feedback with the entire team especially Becca and they thank you in return.
Becca will be rewarded for her outstanding customer service and also thank you personally for mentioning her name.
I was also pleased to read that you felt your break was great value for money and I look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay at Macdonald Elmer's Court Hotel and Resort with 5 other girlfriends to celebrate a birthday.
The Hotel and Resort itself is lovely as well as the rooms we were allocated (myself and my friend stayed in 1A) and we were very impressed in the decor and furnishings. The staff are also friendly and welcoming and facility's are top notch.
The only downside we experienced was the lack of WiFi and the early closing of one of the restaurants - The Scottish Steak House.
All of the ladies including myself who tried to use 'The Cloud' to access the free Internet were unable to connect the whole time we at the resort.
We were informed on check in about the two restaurants available to us, however when we attempted to get into the restaurant on our first night we were informed it had shut at 6pm (we were not told about this when we checked in) so our only option was then to eat in the more formal restaurant (the food was however lovely but we were not really dressed appropriately for this restaurant). On the next day one of our party asked about the timings of closing and again it was going to close early, so we chose to take a cab to Lymington and had a fantastic meal in the Ships Inn.
Both the WiFi and early closing did not spoil our break but maybe need to be looked into.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Devondumpling2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback shared on trip advisor. I was pleased to read that overall you really enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for the Cloud issues, we did experience some technical issues which were remedied straight away once the fault was identified by the Cloud team. This has been a major improvement for our guests and it was really unfortunate that the only issue we have experienced since installation happened on your stay.
Regarding the Scottish Steak Club closure, during quieter period in the winter we do close on week days depending on the level of occupancy, however we do also offer a smaller version of its menu in our Manor House Tudor Bar and lounge.
Thank you again for mentioning the team friendliness as it makes a real difference to them to know that their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My boyfriend and I booked a 2 night stay here through Secret Escapes with breakfast and dinner. We were very pleasantly surprised - Elmer's Court is very easily accessible from London taking under 1hr30 from Waterloo and just is a stone's throw away from the Lymington Pier station. From Lymington Pier - you can hop on a ferry which takes you to the Isle of White.

The hotel itself has character and is on beautiful grounds which looks onto the water. I found it to be incredibly well maintained. The rooms are little two floored bungalows - each floor has it's own private access. I thought that these bungalows were fine - the rooms were very big, clean, there was free wifi, TV - everything that one could really need. There were no 'luxuries' - but everything was of a good standard.

The leisure centre facilities were good. I did not try the spa, but the gym was well equipped with Technogym apparatus. The pool was fine - there were a lot of families so a lot of children - fine for me but may not be so fine for others looking for a quieter getaway. The sauna and hammam facilities were also good.

For food, you have the choice of the Elmer's Court Restaurant and the steak restaurant. We ate at both and honestly - the highlight was the Elmer's Court restaurant for dinner. The menu changed each evening we were there - and we were pleasantly surprised by the excellent choices and the quality of the food and presentation. The staff were excellent. I do recommend eating here. The steak restaurant however - was distinctly average and okay for a quick lunch bite but I would probably avoid it... Breakfast was served in the steak restaurant - and there was a good selection of cooked/cold breakfasts - nothing special though! The Tudor's bar - don't order any cocktails. The wine selection is good but the 'bartender' had no idea how to make any cocktails and both cocktails we ordered were horrible! It is a nice atmosphere though to sit and have coffee/tea after dinner.

All in all, it was an enjoyable stay and I would return again. We didn't have a car when we went - but I do think a stay at this hotel would be better if one had a car.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aveens
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another great constructive review on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the all the facilities, especially the Waterford Restaurant to make your break so relaxing and special. Please accept my apologies for the quality of your cocktail we have since retrained our team on the cocktail on our list to ensure of no further disappointment.
We really look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight on 29 December 2013 for his '50th' birthday and overall had a great stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival, and unlike the last review, we found the chalets very nice, clean and spacious, although a little tired, the wallpaper had some marks and holes.
We visited the spa area before eating out in Lymington, the spa pool was a little strange as it was part of the swimming pool, which didn't really work as it wasn't really warm enough. Although the pool was really nice and the sauna was good.
We had a great breakfast the next morning, we expected buffet style as it was a big hotel, so we were pleasantly surprised when a gentleman came to the table to take our order.

I booked this hotel with Skoosh, and although I was a little apprehensive, they were extremely good and confirmed everything in advance and put my mind at ease, as stupidly I forgot the confirmation paperwork to take to the hotel.
I do have to say though, in agreement with the last review, I don't think that one night's stay is worth the normal price of £144. I paid £85, which it was worth.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ladydiver2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great feedback left on Trip Advisor. It is great for the team to read such positive comments as they work so hard at exceeding customer expectations.
I was so please to read that as most guests on this website you really enjoyed the excellent award winning Macdonald breakfast cooked and served to you on order.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Teignmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I booked this for my wife's birthday, as a surprise Spa treat and luxury hotel stay. Upon arrival there was a power cut, no fault of the hotel and the staff did the best they could, lending us a torch and letting us know what the problem was etc.

The Grounds were very impressive, lovely entrance looking directly at the manor house. The disappointing thing is you don't actually stay there, as we were led out the back to some newish anonymous chalets, from the website it says "a minutes walk to the courtyard", which in my mind insinuated converted old stables - which would be lovely. There are no pictures of the outside of the chalets on the website.

The whole Hotel is open to the public, anyone can use the Swimming pool, gym, steak house and spa, which gives the impression of a leisure center. Also the resort has time share apartments, and a few of these had rubbish bags outside. The car park has 3 large orange Biffa bins in plain view, not even behind a fence, not the sort of image the website portrays.

Our room was fairly spacious, had some nice furniture, a heated mirror in the bathroom - never seen that before in a hotel, nice touch. But also had cobwebs on the ceiling, dust on a lot of the surfaces and air-con vents. The air condition was inoperative, but not a problem in January. The carpet between the twin beds was very dirty and had hairs everywhere. Luckily nobody was staying in the above chalet, the cleaner made a terrible noise, every movement went straight through the ceiling.

After the electric came back on, we went to the spa to discuss my wife's treatments for the following day. I had phoned beforehand and booked a full 4 hour session for whatever she wanted. But they had only actually booked for 1 hour, not impressed. After the let down with the whole hotel, we decided to cancel the spa.

The best points. The breakfast was very nice, good quality sausage, bacon and breads, good selection of cold foods also. Friendly staff in the whole hotel. Lovely manor house and gardens.

The next day we left early. Thankfully I booked it as a flexible rate. Well worth paying the extra as it minimised our losses on a disappointing hotel. It defiantly was not worth £144 a night, I expected a certain level of luxury for that price, it felt like a cross between Premier Inn and Center Parcs.

I didn't complain at the time, as it was mainly problems relating to miss selling from the website.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wussel1979
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I was really surprised to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and I have discussed these with our Head House Keeper and we have checked the room you stayed on, the room was cleaned however she has retrained her team and check all other bedroom on the point you made, to ensure of no further guest disappointment.
Regarding the air con, we do not have aircon in any of the bedrooms. The room you stayed in was partially refurbished few years ago and aircon access was put in place to facilitate further install.
Regarding the Spa booking, we have only record of your 1 hour booking, so please contact me directly to discuss as without further information I cannot take further action.
I was sorry to read that you felt it was not worth the rate you paid for and I would ask that you gave us another chance to demonstrate to you the great standards we are renowned for. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to book your next stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was very lucky to be here, in the hotel, during one of the warmest October on record, great outdoor swimming pool. So decided to come back with family and stay in one of the self-catering apartments for the New Year, it's a fully equipped flat, electricity is extra, paid around £4 p/day, you can shower in the changing room, very nice indoor swimming pool with sauna, they also have pool and table tennis. Beautiful place, good service.

Room Tip: if you pay for wifi in the room, quite cheap, pay per view films are included.