“Perfect place for a break”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Slough, United Kingdom
“Perfect place for a break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed in the studio apartments with friends in late February, not long after the area suffered from the flooding ( although it didn't affect the Hotel / Spa ). Our apartment was one of the lodges which formed a square to the side of the main Hotel building and near the spa. It was large, clean and had a small kitchen area which had a fridge, sink and kettle. The only complaint was the lack of a view as it overlooked only the other lodges, although hardly a "Problem".
We ate with our friends each night in a another apartment which overlooked the Sea ( they paid the near enough the same amount for a 2 bedroom apartment with included a good size kitchen ) so if you visit try and get into those apartments, or where our other friends stayed, again in a 2 bedroom apartment overlooking the outdoor pool.
The spa was included in the price and we used the pool which was clean although the changing rooms and shower area could do with a proper clean and update. Some of the fixtures and fittings needed maintenance.
Now for the bad news.
We had a drink in the spa's bar and where shocked when 2 Lagers, 2 Rose Wine sprizters and a J2O share between two children came to..??.. £30.50p... We checked and the Rose spritzer worked out at £9.. You have been warned..
But overall, we did have a nice relaxing stay with friends in a nice Hotel in a nice area. Take time to out to drive to Mudeford and walk the beach or go to Christchuch and enjoy the Harbour area.

Room Tip: Get a Sea or Outdoor Pool view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ian B
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you really enjoyed your stay in your apartment. You are right some of our Solent View apartment overlook the isle of Wight, Lymington Marina on the other side of the river, our beautiful gardens as well as the Solent sceneries.
Thank you for your comments regarding some aspect of our changing room we are in the process and have started remedying these to the delight of our guests and members.
Regarding the prices, we carry out competitor analysis and I would say we are reasonably priced compare to some of our competitors. The rose wine selected is a premium as we have cheaper options and this was served as a large one to which is 250 ml which is a 1/3 of a bottle. I will ask the team to always ensure they offer both alternatives to our guests.
Thank you again for your valuable input and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We made a sudden decision to stay at this hotel. Our feelings are very mixed since we do not
normally visit the U.K coast at this time of year .The staff we encountered were very good. In
other seasons the hotel would no doubt be more appealing. However the structure is mainly such that you have to walk outdoors to visit either restaurant or the spa facilities. Not fun when
it is raining !!! .The fine dining restaurant food was excellent but without supplements, at a price of £29.95, it should be good. Breakfast £ 17.50 is too expensive, for what it is.The room was fine
once we were shown how to get the extractor to work. The key system is also a little tricky in the
pitch dark. The rooms are fine but show cost cutting in terms of no clock, no safe, very limited
toiletries no flannels .We now find that better B& B,s supply all of these.
As said the staff we met were very good .We did not meet housekeeping. If we had we would
have asked why a previous visitors socks were still very obviously present.
I had the impression that room had been prepared in haste. A nearby crying child late at night and early in the morning certainly did not help.
in the mr

Room Tip: There do not appear to be any if it is raining !!!!!!!
2 Thank 2Foogs
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback shared on trip advisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your feedback regarding the room location, as you can see on this website other guests find it to be a positive point. Although I appreciate that rain can affect guest satisfaction on a glorious day like this Saturday, in my opinion there is no better place to be staying or working. This also is reflected in your feedback regarding our team customer service and genuine determination to exceed our guests expectations as well as the quality of our fine dinning Restaurant food.
Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast and dinner prices, dinner can booked on line previous to your arrival at £25 a head and if you book your breakfast on arrival or prior to your stay it is discounted to £15 which, I feel, for a full English breakfast, choice of hot drink, toast, full buffet with cereals, pastries, cold meat, cheeses, fruit juices is real good value for money.

Thank you again for mentioning the team friendliness as it makes a real difference to them to know that their efforts are appreciated.
We look forward to welcoming you in the near future maybe now the weather is improving.

Bournemouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel & spa is absolutely awful. The facilities are extremely outdated. I booked a spa day for my husband and I for my birthday. I was told by the company I booked through that our spa treatments were booked for 10am and to arrive at 9.45am which we did. When we arrived the staff could not find us on the system so they went to the spa to look at the bookings which could not be found. After 10/15 mins one of the members of staff decided to show us around as the spa manager was doing a treatment so the error/issue could not be discussed with her. We were shown around the facilities and given towels and then decided to use the pool (where we hoped the spa manager would find us). The pool is small and a rather cold temperature. It was quite busy and loud because of children. At around 10.30/11 the spa manager found us to say that we had been booked in the following week (but admitted this was their error), we could have treatments at 1.45 and 2.45 (but this was at 10.30/11 - I wouldnt have come so early had I been given those treatment times in the first place but with the lacking facilities there was no way we were going to spend the whole day there) or a refund, so we agreed the refund - I was told this would have to go through the partner company I booked through which I accepted at the time. The steam room is fine, the sauna was lacking much heat (and to be honest I would find similar, maybe better facilities in my local council run leisure centre)! We had booked our afternoon tea at 12.30 but on the way there I popped to the loo just before the spa reception - All the locks were broken on the doors and only one of the toilets actually locked!!!! We sat down for our 'afternoon tea' and what a diabolical sight it was (although I must admit the jam and cream portions with the scones were good!), the sandwiches were laughable (I will try and upload a picture I took!) and the egg sandwich had shell in (I did tell the waitress who looked rather surprised that I had said anything negative) and she rather nonchalantly walked away. After not eating all of the tea (stale bread, bought in and propably previously frozen stale cakes) we were just leaving the 'steak house' when a young couple walked in requesting a roast dinner but were told that this was not on the menu today (obviously being Sunday), we later found out that the reason a roast was not being served was because of a large group!!! What?!? We got back out to reception (whilst their the young couple from the restaurant who had decided, luckily for them, that they wouldnt have lunch, asked the staff member if the movies in the rooms were free and the staff member said I don't know and turned around!) where I requested confirmation that I was going to get my money back. The member of staff went to speak to the spa manager and when he returned told me that she stated she hadn't emailed the cancellation yet however would cc we into the email when sent. I didnt find this appropriate (but by this point the spa manager was doing another treatment!) so the staff member went to find the duty manager and about 20 mins later returned to say that the manager had stated he couldn't do anything (it was a clear case of no one wanting to take responsibility). At this point my husband got a bit irate and stated this wasn't acceptable and another member of staff, Nick, stepped in (the only person who understands the term customer service and I hope finds a career well suited and not working for the numptys at this hotel!)! He took us to reception where staff seemed very surprised that we hadn't had a nice time (at one point the duty manager came over and asked whether we were going to come back?? What??? Are you having a laugh!!!). We were given a full refund - but my god was the process painful! I would avoid this place at all costs - There are some fabulous spas and hotels in the area and this one is not one (and really deserves to close!). Do not waste your time or money!

3 Thank katebates
Dear readers,
See reply for previous review as it is the same posted on a different account.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We booked in for a spa day including treatments. When we arrived we found out the treatments had been booked in for the wrong day and were told, after about an hour, that we would have to wait about another 4 hours to have our treatments. We declined this offer and used the pool etc for a bit before having our ' afternoon tea'. The tea turned out to be just about the most depressing thing I've ever eastern served by the most indifferent staff. A few dry, bland sandwiches (the cheese sandwich had 4 tiny pieces of grated cheese in it, I kid you not) and a couple of completely tasteless cake. When my wife stopped a waitress to say there was egg shell in one sandwich she just said 'oh' and walked off. It was time to go so headed to reception for a refund for our prepaid treatments that never where. This is when what had been a comically disorganised experience went too far. No one knew what to do and there seemed to be no management to speak of. After getting fairly angry we were eventually helped by a very nice member of the spa reception staff (called Nick, FYI Mr general manager the only person we encountered with a concept of what customer service is, he deserves better than you) who managed to get us our refund from the main reception. At this point we did encounter the duty manager I suppose who rather amusingly was shocked to hear that we didn't want to come back and showed the same indifference to us we had experienced all day.

Overall a well below par product being delivered by incompetent staff lacking any direction or support from the management. There is much better close by therefore I would steer clear.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank MarkCuth86
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the tripadvisor website following your Spa Day here at the Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort. Your feedback is extremely important to our establishment in order to maintain the high standards we are renowned for.

I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with some aspect of your day. Following an investigation into the points raised, I would like to take this opportunity to respond to you as follows:

Please accept my apologies for the genuine mistake which resulted in this disappointing experience for you and your husband. Unfortunately the treatments for your booking were placed on the same day of a different month, not week as previously mentioned to you. This was a complete oversight by one of our most reliable member of the team and totally uncharacteristic. She also sends her sincere apologies for this mistake. I have asked that to avoid further guests’ disappointments we check every bookings against treatment for each day.

I was pleased to read that our Spa Manager managed to reorganise her full Spa to accommodate you and I was sorry to read that this was unsuitable for you.

Regarding our facilities, you are right, they are family friendly as part of a Resort and we do not advertise our Spa to be exclusive as some of our competitors do. This is also reflected in the price as, I feel, we do offer very good value for money and get great feedback and reviews from the majority of our Spa guests.

I can assure you that our afternoon tea sandwiches and cakes are prepared on the day and I can only apologise if they were stale on that day. Our Head Chef has retrained his entire team. In addition I am spot checking quality on a regular basis and I have asked both our Head Chef and Sous Chef to monitor quality personally on a daily basis.

Although I am really sorry that despite our team effort to rectify this genuine mistake by giving you a full refund of your payment as well as free afternoon tea and use of the premises which, I feel was adequate compensation, you feel so dejected by your experience.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed one night for convenience for the Isle of Wight ferry, it is really a timeshare resort with some bedrooms. Bedrooms are entered by glass patio doors from a courtyard or walkway or a balcony if on first floor. We had a ground floor room, which lacked privacy if you didn't want to have curtains shut all the time. To reach the leisure centre and the restaurant for breakfast, you have to walk outside and as it was raining during our stay, it was not very pleasant.
Staff at breakfast were very attentive but at £17.50, we thought breakfast should include choices such as salmon and haddock and not make them supplemental. Two restaurant choices on site but both overpriced, better experiences and prices to be found in Lymington.
Probably good if you want to stay with children, as the lodges looked nice plus indoor and outdoor pools and other activities.

1 Thank Yvonne H
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review left on the trip advisor website. I appreciate your feedback regarding the room location, as you can see on this website other guests find it to be a positive point. Although I appreciate that rain can affect guest satisfaction on a glorious day like this Saturday, in my opinion there is no better place to be staying or working. This also is reflected in all guest feedback regarding our team customer service and genuine determination to exceed our guests expectations.
Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast, if you book your breakfast on arrival or prior to your stay it is discounted to £15 which, I feel, for a full English breakfast, choice of hot drink, toast, full buffet with cereals, pastries, cold meat, cheeses, fruit juices is real good value for money.
Maybe we will have the pleasure to welcome you back during the summer months.

Hythe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our Ferry to Yarmouth was cancelled. We decided to try to book a room here. We were offered a dinner B&B night. A special valentines dinner was offered in the main dining room which we enjoyed. Our ferry was cancelled due to high winds, our room was some distance from the restaurant. It was not clear how to get to the dining room, this involved wandering around in the dark in storm conditions, not what you would expect from a hotel of this standard.
We were very grateful to get a room at short notice but I did arrive at my valentines meal with my hair in a mess, my wife didn't mind though.

Room Tip: If available try to get a room on the old house to avoid messing you hair up in high winds.
2 Thank Annepaull
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another great review on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed our fine dining Waterford Restaurant. I was sorry to read that your stay was affected by the storm we experience on that evening. Unfortunately all our bedrooms are situated away from the manor house.
We really look forward to welcoming you in the near future, maybe when we experiencing nicer weather like today, as we have beautiful sunshine on the Solent cost and New Forest.

Hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I came to Elmers Court for a weekend away for my other half's birthday. We both wanted to go somewhere from which we might explore the New Forest... But we were realistic enough to not expect great weather... So wanted somewhere with a pool and other indoors activities if necessary.
The hotel itself is a bit schizophrenic - the main building is an old manor house that is truly gorgeous. However our room was out in the new buildings to the side which are sort of two story terraced chalet affairs. Each opens to the outside - and we had very windy, rainy weather.
Our room was upstairs at the end of one of the terraces. It was clean and quite well appointed with a nice bathroom, sofa, chairs and a kitchen-ish area. It was a big comfortable space but, at this time of year, it took a long time to warm it up with the little convection heater.
As an aside: The kitchen was a bit odd - there was a fridge, a sink and a tray with the usual tea-and-coffee making stuff, but no hob or microwave or means to self cater. I get the impression that the room might have been a timeshare apartment that's currently surplus to requirements... Not that it matters as it was a nice room! Just slightly odd.
The leisure complex was very nice. Big pool, with a jacuzzi corner and a separate kids section, sauna and steam room. Having said that, the pool area is more municipal leisure centre than luxury experience. Not unpleasant, but more functional than an "experience".
We also made use of the spa facilities having a lovely hour long full body massage. The experience was really very good and well worth it. The spa is well designed, beautifully set up and smelled amazing. Very relaxing.
The bar was gorgeous - oldy worldy wood panelled with a wood burner fire and there are two restaurants, both of which we used. The first night we weren't all that hungry and ate in the family steak place. We both had a salad (one Caesar and one blue cheese and pear - both lovely and the pears were exactly ripe) and shared pumpkin ravioli with sage butter sauce (which was fantastic - one of the nicest pasta dishes I've had). The second night we ate at the posh restaurant in the main building. Very lovely setting next to the bar. They serve a restricted three course menu which changes daily. Unfortunately, while it was nicely presented and well cooked, neither of us fancied much on the menu on the night, so we didn't have the great time we might have, which was a shame.
Finally the grounds - gorgeous. We were there after some terrible storms. Some trees were down, the ground was saturated and covered in puddles. It was still beautiful. A lawn with an avenue of trees and hedges either side sweeping down to the outlet of the river into the sea.
Overall, it's a beautiful location, a very nice hotel, lovely helpful staff and a great base to explore into the New Forest or along the coast towards Bournemouth.
Nearly a 5, but having to face the weather upon leaving the room was unexpected and unpleasant and, if you're going to give us a kitchen, give us a full kitchen that would let us self cater.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YomperLondon
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such great feedback left on the trip advisor website. I have shared your feedback with the entire team and they thank you in return.
I was sorry to read that the choice menu was not of your liking in the Waterford Restaurant, our Chef, if asked, would have been delighted to create dishes to suit your taste providing he had the ingredient.
Thank you for describing our 23 acres of landscape grounds, despite a couple of fallen trees.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
Lime Wood Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,223 reviews

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!