“Bank Holiday Treat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Bank Holiday Treat”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a family room at the very last minute as a bank holiday treat. Whilst aware at booking stage the accommodation was outside of the main building (something we normally avoid), the lodge style rooms were very clean, spacious and exceptionally comfortable and the separate bedroom for children worked out as a real treat for them. The indoor pool was big enough to keep everyone amused for a couple of sessions and the general setting of the hotel is stunning.
The ambience of the hotel is more 4 star than 3 and one would imagine the outdoor pool and refreshments would be great in the summer months.
The only slight disappointment was an evening meal in the Scottish Steak House on Sunday evening. By the time we arrived after a visit to Lymington there were only four other tables still eating. A language barrier I think, hindered our efforts to request missing cutlery and only a visit to the kitchen ourselves produced the elusive vinegar. We are still waiting for the fruit salad.
Breakfast on Monday also seemed a little disorganised. The breakfast manager himself appeared to be doing nearly everything single handed. It would have been comical had people not been queuing - something quite unacceptable at a Macdonald hotel.
However, this aside, as a connoisseur of hotel breakfasts the Elmers Court does not disappoint. Fine ingredients, great choice and plenty of it!
Despite the poor experience in the Scottish Steak House we will almost certainly be returning and look forward to trying the Waterford Restaurant next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank juleseyboy
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another very constructive review on this website. I was pleased that you had a great stay and enjoyed most of your experience including our facilities and breakfast. Please accept my apologies for the poor service you experienced in the Scottish Steak Club, we are aware of the situation and have addressed this issue to avoid any further guests’ disappointments.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you in the very near future as you mentionned.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked myself and my mum for a Spring break 1 night stay, and although the photos look good and part of the hotel is simply beautiful our room was slightly 'grubby' The walls by the mirror were marked where the tea and coffee box had obviously marked it which could easily be fixed with a bit of paint. There was tea stains on the wall and the dressing table which could of been wiped with a wet cloth and there was dust all over the skirting boards and underneath the dressing table. Which clearly shows the cleaning standards aren't very high, I know its only 3* but those things are simple errors that could of been dealt with easily and should be daily routine. But I have to comment how nice the shower was and the views in the garden are incredible. the only other thing that would of been nice would of been to have a table and chairs on the decking to sit in the nice weather outside of the room. Now In the room it states clearly that you can call room service for free fresh milk. We called and requested the milk and it was never brought to us. However all the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful apart from that occasion. We each had two treatments in the spa, a hot stone and facial and they were both simply amazing. Probably one of the best facials I have ever had, and the therapist I had was lovely, very professional. So I definitely recommend the spa, Although I would recommend checking when you arrive that your treatment is booked because ours was not and had to book again, (thank god they had space.) and then when we arrived only the facials were booked in not the massage, which is why I find it strange why the leisure reception take the booking and not the actual spa. There was rather alot of children too , which made the experience slightly less relaxing... now Free wifi is always a bonus! The breakfast was great. Presentation and selection for breakfast was fantastic! definitely the best selection I have seen. We had dinner quite late so it was lovely and quiet in a beautiful room, and it was very tasty! really good food! We didn't have to wait long at all and the waiter was very polite. Overall a really nice stay with a wonderful experience, Just hope that they pick up on the simple cleaning errors!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay however was concerned to learn of the cleaning issues experienced. I can assure you that this is not our usual standards. Please accept my apologies for this and I can assure you that after sharing your feedback with our Head House Keeper we have taken necessary actions to ensure of no further guests disappointment.
Thank you for recommending our Spa treatments and please accept my apologies for the confusion with your bookings again I have shared this comments with the Spa Manager and she will retrain both Spa and Leisure desk team.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We have a relaxing week at Elmer's the restaurant does great food in a lovely old part of the building. It's very child friendly and the room was lovely. The bed was big and sooo comfortable. The spa is a little dated but the treatments were great and a great price. Service was very good can't complain about anything.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another great review on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your week stay. Thanks you also for recommending our Spa which is getting really popular and has restricted space so we would recommend for bookings to be done in advance to avoid any disappointment. We really look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is only the second time I have written a review on a hotel, and felt this was worthy enough to take time out and write a second.
Having visited Elmers Court twice before we felt it worthy of a 3rd visit. Like the previous two occassions the staff were very friendly and accomodation very clean and spacious enough for two adults and two children.
I feel a 3 star rating is harsh and having stayed in other 4 star venues, this is also worthy of an extra star.
Myself, wife and two children stayed in the chalet style accommodation and will do so again.
The grounds were stunning and walked them every morning before and after breakfast.
With regards to the location, it is ideal only being a short distance to the ferry going to isle of wight, we walked to the ferry (only 5 minutes away) and went over as foot passengers saving money on taking the car and parking the other side. The tour bus on the other side runs every half hour.
May I thank all the staff again at Elmers Court and look forward to making a 4th visit this year.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review left on the Trip Advisor website. It is great for the team to read such positive comments as they work so hard at exceeding customer expectations and they would like to thank you in return.
Thank you for mentioning our ideal location and stunning grounds as they are such an asset to our Resort.
We really look forward to welcoming you in the very near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel looks good - in photographs and brochures. However, all is not what it seems. Like many hotels, some are good and of a high quality, some are deserving of constructive criticism. Let me deal with the latter. There is a misconception that guests will be accommodated in the lovely stately house. Alas, what is on offer is a wooden-type chalet in the grounds. Upstairs or on ground level. Personally I didn't mind, as being upstairs reminded me of being in a balcony room on a cruise liner. The exposure to the open air meant a walk in the rain to find other places on site. Beware of the term Fine Dining. No good restaurant worth its reputation would serve a starter, consisting of chilled melon with sorbet on a bed of cut lettuce and to be eaten with a knife and fork. In my case the sorbet melted and ran off the slate on to the table, only to be wiped clean by the staff. And it is good practice to offer water. Sorry, not as fine as it should be. Improvement required here. Also, the restaurant menu was poor and far from appetising. However, the grounds are lovely and the accommodation clean and comfortable. This hotel has all the making of a 4 star with some innovation and creative planning across all the departments. In spite of criticisms it should not be written off. It has real potential, provided the management team can get its act together. I held a positive conversation with a member of staff at the end of my two day Easter break. And it proved helpful. At present rating the hotel would seem over-priced, and compared with some other venues does not offer value for money. There is really no need to add a charge for breakfast or to offer a discount token. A good inclusive meals package should be offered, with fine dining or not. There is a need, here, to improve. I look forward to another visit, and hopefully to see some changes.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lyoncat9
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive review left on the Trip Advisor website. Although I was sorry to read that you were let down by some elements of your stay I would like to thank you for the positive element of your stay and the fact that you would like to give another chance.
I appreciate the comments regarding the food you experienced in our Restaurant, we have just appointed a new Head chef with great accolade restaurant background to offer our guests a new dining experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally when you would like to come back to the Resort.
We really look forward to welcoming you back before long.

Worthing
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a wonderful time at Elmers Court.

Our first contact was with the lovely gentleman on reception who was charming and so friendly. Our room was upgraded as it was my husbands 60th birthday and there was a lovely bowl of fruit in the room on arrival. We had been reserved a table for dinner overlooking the gardens and we were served complimentary champagne. All the staff were friendly and polite.

The food was delicious, the leisure facilities were extremely well kept.

I wont hesitate to come back as soon as I can to repeat the experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise W
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great comments left on the trip advisor website. I have forwarded your feedback to the team who would like to thank you in return. I was really pleased to read that we were able to make your husband 60th Birthday a great one.
Thank you for recommending our venue and we hope to see you back at the Resort very soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I personally think three star is harsh accommodation is very good standard of your rooms is good as well the grounds are stunning and the old manor house is great as with all MacDonald establishments the staff are second to none in their field our room wasn't ready when we turned up so free drinks while we waited.
I did notice they were stretched with breakfast on the first day but reinforments were on hand for the next day.

Please ignore negative reports we stay away a lot and really enjoyed it

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kevan L
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review placed on Trip advisor. It was great to read that we were able to exceed your expectations. Thank you for being so complimentary of our team and you are right their dedication to please our guests is second to none.
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
South Lawn Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lymington
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!