“excellent resort hotel in a beautiful setting”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
west sussex uk
“excellent resort hotel in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Elmers Court Resort is an excellent resort hotel in a beautiful setting. The larger than average rooms are in blocks of eight (at most) depending on the category of room. They are well appointed with excellent fittings and comfortable beds and furniture. The staff are very helpful in both the hotel and the restaurant. The Scottish Steak House restaurant is good value for excellent well presented food and the breakfasts were second to none that we have stayed in. Take time to wander the extensive gardens and grounds - they are well maintained and a pleasure to sit in. There is a separate play area for children (excellent idea). The main house has grand rooms with stunning Victorian features and is also worth exploring. All in all - a relaxing stay in a great location!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor of the blocks have a better view and are more private.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review posted on the trip advisor. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay. Thank you for reviewing all of our amenities especially our Scottish Steak Club, our Macdonald award winning breakfast and well maintained 23 acres of grounds. I have shared your feedback with our entire team and they would like to thank you for your kind words.
We all look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Resort General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Aylesbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed here for my husband's 50th birthday treat. The hotel was very nice, the staff were lovely but... we had no hot water in our room on the Saturday, which meant a cold wash and no shower before dinner (apparently there were boiler problems) and the main courses on the menu were the same on both nights (with only one, admittedly excellent) vegetarian choice. I had to ask them to adapt one of the other dishes (I eat fish).

Not quite what I would expect of a four star hotel!

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review posted on trip advisor. Thank you for your mention of our staff friendliness, I have shared it with them and they thank you in return. Please accept my apologies for the boiler issues, as it failed, the back up boiler does struggle to cope when all rooms are using hot water at the same time and it can take a while for water to come through the system. Regarding our Waterford menu although it does change regularly, as we using fresh and seasonal product it could be similar for a couple of days. I was really pleased to read that the team ensured you were offered an alternative.
Thank you also for rating us as a 4 star as we are only 3 star, hopefully we will be rated at 4 soon.
We all look forward to maybe welcoming you in the near future.

North Conway, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I decided on the morning of 10th May - my 50th birthday to go away on the spur of the moment. We chose the Macdonald Elmer due to the lovely photos and the good reviews. We were booked in by a lovely lady over the phone and when I told her it was my birthday she said 'oh they are really good there, you will probably have something nice laid on, I will make a note of it on your booking.'
When we checked in nothing was said, not even Happy Birthday so was a bit disappointed. There was certainly nothing nice laid on.
However, our stay was great, we had lunch in the steak house which was delicious, we had our evening meal and apart from one of the starters being the wrong order this was a lovely evening. Lovely waitresses and I have never been called m'lady in my life!!
The breakfast was delicious and loads of it and our room was clean and comfortable.
Would we go back.........I think we will.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your very constructive review posted on trip advisor. Please accept my apologies for the mistake which resulted in our team special treat for your 50th Birthday. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further details as I would like to ensure we retrain the member of our team which did not communicate this information.
We always try to make our guests celebrations extra special and again I am sorry we could not do this on this occasion.
I was pleased to read that the team looked after you in the Waterford Restaurant, that you enjoyed the room and our great breakfast.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and this time exceed your expaectations.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We booked Macdonald Elmore hotel as part of RCI time sharing . A beautiful hotel , lovely location . Very nice heated pool and spa . Amazing trees and huge gardens overlooking the pier . The apartment was very cosy , comfortable and well equipped , clean and artistic . The separate bedroom was spacious . Enjoyed our walks in the vast property . Kitchen had all the facilities . Really enjoyed our stay . One of the best RCI property . Will go back any day .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sushmash
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very great review posted on trip advisor website. As a RCI Gold Crown resort the quality of our apartments is second to none. I was also great to read that you really enjoyed your stay, Lymington and the New Forest.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon at the Resort.

Lymington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I just wanted to write a review 're spa and clubhouse. We as a family are members of this resort. The food is always good, staff very polite and helpful. I have just used the spa for the first time. Very impressed, had geleration nail manicure, Georgia was just lovely, very friendly and professional. My nails look fantastic, really really pleased. Have booked for two weeks time for a repeat. What better recommendation could you want. Never stayed in rooms as we are local, but looks lovely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Loraine B
Dear guest,

Thank you for your very great review posted on trip advisor website. I was really pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your treatment with Georgina and I have fed that back to her. I am glad that you will use our Spa services from now and I hope that we will always be able to exceed your expectations.

Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a family room at the very last minute as a bank holiday treat. Whilst aware at booking stage the accommodation was outside of the main building (something we normally avoid), the lodge style rooms were very clean, spacious and exceptionally comfortable and the separate bedroom for children worked out as a real treat for them. The indoor pool was big enough to keep everyone amused for a couple of sessions and the general setting of the hotel is stunning.
The ambience of the hotel is more 4 star than 3 and one would imagine the outdoor pool and refreshments would be great in the summer months.
The only slight disappointment was an evening meal in the Scottish Steak House on Sunday evening. By the time we arrived after a visit to Lymington there were only four other tables still eating. A language barrier I think, hindered our efforts to request missing cutlery and only a visit to the kitchen ourselves produced the elusive vinegar. We are still waiting for the fruit salad.
Breakfast on Monday also seemed a little disorganised. The breakfast manager himself appeared to be doing nearly everything single handed. It would have been comical had people not been queuing - something quite unacceptable at a Macdonald hotel.
However, this aside, as a connoisseur of hotel breakfasts the Elmers Court does not disappoint. Fine ingredients, great choice and plenty of it!
Despite the poor experience in the Scottish Steak House we will almost certainly be returning and look forward to trying the Waterford Restaurant next time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank juleseyboy
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another very constructive review on this website. I was pleased that you had a great stay and enjoyed most of your experience including our facilities and breakfast. Please accept my apologies for the poor service you experienced in the Scottish Steak Club, we are aware of the situation and have addressed this issue to avoid any further guests’ disappointments.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you in the very near future as you mentionned.

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked myself and my mum for a Spring break 1 night stay, and although the photos look good and part of the hotel is simply beautiful our room was slightly 'grubby' The walls by the mirror were marked where the tea and coffee box had obviously marked it which could easily be fixed with a bit of paint. There was tea stains on the wall and the dressing table which could of been wiped with a wet cloth and there was dust all over the skirting boards and underneath the dressing table. Which clearly shows the cleaning standards aren't very high, I know its only 3* but those things are simple errors that could of been dealt with easily and should be daily routine. But I have to comment how nice the shower was and the views in the garden are incredible. the only other thing that would of been nice would of been to have a table and chairs on the decking to sit in the nice weather outside of the room. Now In the room it states clearly that you can call room service for free fresh milk. We called and requested the milk and it was never brought to us. However all the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful apart from that occasion. We each had two treatments in the spa, a hot stone and facial and they were both simply amazing. Probably one of the best facials I have ever had, and the therapist I had was lovely, very professional. So I definitely recommend the spa, Although I would recommend checking when you arrive that your treatment is booked because ours was not and had to book again, (thank god they had space.) and then when we arrived only the facials were booked in not the massage, which is why I find it strange why the leisure reception take the booking and not the actual spa. There was rather alot of children too , which made the experience slightly less relaxing... now Free wifi is always a bonus! The breakfast was great. Presentation and selection for breakfast was fantastic! definitely the best selection I have seen. We had dinner quite late so it was lovely and quiet in a beautiful room, and it was very tasty! really good food! We didn't have to wait long at all and the waiter was very polite. Overall a really nice stay with a wonderful experience, Just hope that they pick up on the simple cleaning errors!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback left on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay however was concerned to learn of the cleaning issues experienced. I can assure you that this is not our usual standards. Please accept my apologies for this and I can assure you that after sharing your feedback with our Head House Keeper we have taken necessary actions to ensure of no further guests disappointment.
Thank you for recommending our Spa treatments and please accept my apologies for the confusion with your bookings again I have shared this comments with the Spa Manager and she will retrain both Spa and Leisure desk team.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Resort General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
Lime Wood Hotel
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,223 reviews

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!