“Very Expensive!”

Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed over the May Spring Bank Holiday Weekend in one of the chalet rooms. Everything was just OK, nothing special I'm afraid which would be fine except for the fact that we paid £200 per night which is an awful lot of money for what we got. An lot of things incurred an extra charge; exercise classes, an extra £5, a game of croquet an extra £1 per person, etc etc. Many parts of the hotel and grounds looked a little tired and could do with an upgrade, although our room was recently refurbished and quite nice. The staff were very friendly on the whole, but the service in the Scottish Steak House was poor on most of the occasions we visited. We ordered tea for two on one visit and were given a pot of tea, plus extra water (well done!) but with only one tea bag! There were no staff available to complain to at the time as they were all very busy serving other customers. However, when we complained about this on checking out, the cost of one of the teas was deducted from our final bill without quibble. Not a major issue I know, but just an example of where standards were not really fitting of a £200 a night room bill. I think if our room rate had included breakfast, then this stay would have been much better value for money and this review would have been much better. However, as it was, it's a lot of money for a 3* hotel experience.

2  Thank Travellhound
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on this website. As explained on the previous review, I would like to sincerely offer my apologies for the service issue you encountered. We have taken the necessary action to ensure of no further guests disappointment.
I appreciate your comments regarding the price however for a May bank holiday week end in the New Forest with included in the price use of all the leisure facilities I feel that our price is excellent value for money. I am sorry if you do not feel that way, maybe it would be worth looking for our out of seasons offers, as they are extremely good value for money and would include Breakfast too.
We hopefully all look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Resort General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here 30 May - 1 June (2 nights). There were 11 of us in total staying in 3 rooms (6 adults and 5 children aged 4-10).

We stayed in one of the newer rooms next to the main hotel. The room was clean and comfortable with a sofabed for our 2 children. The room was a bit cramped with the sofabed, but to be hones we really only slept in the room. The grounds are sprawling with a croquet lawn and putting green, 2 tennis courts and an outdoor pool. The is also a fantastic indoor heated pool which the children loved.

I think the only letdown is the food. At both breakfasts we had to wait over 30 minutes for the cooked food to arrive - not ideal when you have hungry children. We had dinner in the informal steakhouse one evening but I found the food to be a bit overpriced and mediocre.

Notwithstanding the food, this place does have extremely helpful and friendly staff and there are lots of things for families to do on the grounds and it would be an excellent base to travel around the New Forest. I even found a room with a flatscreen TV and Wii which the children enjoyed.

I would return to this hotel, however I would simple choose to eat elsewhere.

1  Thank TrubbyDubby

Dear guest,
Thank you for your constructive review left on the Trip advisor website. I have shared your feedback with the team and they thank you for your kind words.
Regarding the breakfast and food, I agree that you should not have to wait 30 minutes for your breakfast. I was aware of the issues you and other guests encountered during these few days and we, with our Head Chef and Operations Manager, have taken immediate actions to ensure of no further guests disappointment. This applies to the Scottish steak club restaurant dinner too as we recruited the team to deliver the standards we are renowned for.
We hope you will stay with us in the near future and give us another opportunity to demonstrate the quality of our food and service.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We checked in today me my wife and my 2 kids , usually I give reviews after the stay but today I was shocked and I feel I was ripped off, this is ridiculous and I could not help bit give a review right away . We expected a room with a double and separate bunk beds but looks like they converted a double and extended the sofa, there is hardly any space to move! Also we got some mosquitoes for free:) . This is the worst room I ever got in my life and ptobably the most expensive. To top it all they gave 1 bottle of water and 1 small shower gel for 4 persons! ..and note there is no breakfast along with this.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anindya C

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on this website. I was sorry to read that you were expecting a separate room with bunk bed. Our website describes family rooms to have bunk beds or sofa beds, not to be in separate rooms.
Thank you for your remarks regarding the mosquitoes, it is the first time guests have commented on them however I will ask our reception team to have plugs on ready if guests require them.
I appreciate your comments regarding the price however for a May bank holiday week end in the new forest with included in the price use of all the leisure facilities for 4 persons I feel that our price is excellent value for money. I am sorry if you do not feel that way.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just back from a 3 night break and a Lovely hotel, staff very professional and helpful and very polite. Room was very nicely decorated and much bigger than expected. Food was great and breakfast was cooked fresh and was hot. Swimming pools both clean and good size although it wasn't hot enough to use the outside pool. The resort is very well kept with lovely gardens. Unfortunately for us we had a connecting room and this was occupied on the second and third days by a family with 3 noisy screaming children, they woke us up at 7am on both mornings whilst screaming, crying and running around, not sure if it was worse for us the people beneath them. Still gave the hotel top marks as seemed unfair to blame them for parents who have unruly children.

Room Tip: We had room 027A which is a connecting room, beware if those in 027 have kids cos you can hear them
1  Thank richie d

Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review posted on Trip advisor. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay. Thank you for reviewing all of our amenities especially our award winning breakfast. I have shared your feedback with our entire team and they would like to thank you for your kind words.
I was sorry to read that you were disturbed by the room next to you however I was please to read that it will not deter you from visiting again. Please let us know in advance and we will try our best to accommodate you away from family rooms.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed last year in May and we liked it so much we had to go back again for a birthday treat.

We arrived to a lovely room, however from our stay previously we had a fridge in the room. We assumed every room had a fridge in, I'm lactose intolerant so milk supplies for me is essential. We called down to reception and they were happy to help and gave us keys to a new room which everything we needed! Thank you. Perfect nights sleep with big duvets and quality pillows.

Having been here before we knew what to expect, we had to go for another facial...this time it was just as good as I remember. Staff were friendly and helpful. Highly recommend!

The indoor pool was clean and spacious, added bonus it was quiet and no kids to spoil the relaxed atmosphere. The facilities are great, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna (big enough for at least 10 people!).

We had breakfast both mornings with so much to choose from, there is a cold buffet with cereal, fruit, yoghurt, pastries, bread and fresh juices. Then you can order hot food and drinks, we both went for the poached eggs.

Our last night we spent in the Waterford restaurant, remember you have to book this one in advance. We couldn't wait to try the salmon (again!), we've never tasted salmon like it. This time was even better, we also tried pigeon for starter and cheesecake for pudding. Every plate of food was delicious, hats off to the chef! And another thank you to our lovely waitress 'Becca', we both remembered each other from last year, was so nice to have such a warm welcome.

All in all a fabulous stay and we are already planning another trip for the third time. Can't fault a thing, thank you for another wonderful getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a fridge as these rooms are more spacious and get you more facilities. And also ask...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
gmelmers, General Manager at Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for another great review on the trip advisor website. I was so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations once again and that our team went out of their way to accommodate your wishes. Thank you also for mentioning Becca, who is second to none at customer service, she thank you in return for your kind words.
Thank you again for your repeat custom and we look forward to welcoming you in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked to stay here because it was one of very hotels in Lymington taking 1 night only bookings at the weekends. We arrived to a room that felt like a sauna (it was 23c that day). I called reception immediately and they said there was no air con anywhere, and that nobody had ever complained about the heat before (I find this very hard to believe!). I always think that communicating gives a hotel a chance to rectify things, but she didn't offer a fan, or even send up some ice to go in the empty bucket in the room - both would have been logical and easy to do. We were in an upstairs chalet, and the following morning woke at dawn with the sun coming in through the pale coloured curtains - a very uncomfortable night's sleep. And I cannot recall the last time I stayed in a hotel in a standard double - aren't King / Queen size beds the norm in premium hotels? I stay in some of the best hotels in the world, and had an expectation when paying £189 per night (EXCLUDING breakfast) which wasn't met. The hairdryer was like a little low-power one I owned as a child. And there is no need to leave a bible on the side of bed in 2014 - in a drawer is adequate for the very few people who use them. A big over-priced let down all round. I don't require a response from the Management, my feedback and suggestions for improvement are all clear to see.

3  Thank MaryAF

Dear guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback shared on trip advisor. I appreciate that you did not require a reply however I feel that other readers may be interested in our comments.
Our receptionist was right in claiming that we do not usually get complaints regarding our rooms being too hot however to insure of your comfort our team member should have organise a fan for your room as we have them in house, we will retrain our team to ensure this happens in the future. I agree that the ice would have been a nice touch however a quick call to our room service and they would have delivered it to you free of charge. All of our rooms have net curtains and blank out curtains, which if closed would have insured no light could go through.
I am sincerely sorry we could not meet your expectations and that you did not take advantage of our facilities and beautiful grounds which are included in the room price.
I hope that you will reconsider giving us another chance to demonstrate to you the excellent level of service we are renowned for.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Elmers Court Resort is an excellent resort hotel in a beautiful setting. The larger than average rooms are in blocks of eight (at most) depending on the category of room. They are well appointed with excellent fittings and comfortable beds and furniture. The staff are very helpful in both the hotel and the restaurant. The Scottish Steak House restaurant is good value for excellent well presented food and the breakfasts were second to none that we have stayed in. Take time to wander the extensive gardens and grounds - they are well maintained and a pleasure to sit in. There is a separate play area for children (excellent idea). The main house has grand rooms with stunning Victorian features and is also worth exploring. All in all - a relaxing stay in a great location!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor of the blocks have a better view and are more private.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review posted on the trip advisor. I was pleased to read that you really enjoyed your stay. Thank you for reviewing all of our amenities especially our Scottish Steak Club, our Macdonald award winning breakfast and well maintained 23 acres of grounds. I have shared your feedback with our entire team and they would like to thank you for your kind words.

Resort General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Passford House
#1 of 1 in Milford on Sea
Stanwell House Hotel
Stanwell House Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!