“It takes real skill to be this bad...”
Review of Wytes - CLOSED

Wytes
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Delicious Authentic Caribbean Cuisine.. All washed down with the best cocktails in Lymington!
Lymington
“It takes real skill to be this bad...”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Visited Wytes at 7.30 on a Saturday night without booking a table, but they said that they could just fit the two of us in if we ate straight away. An hour later, all of the other tables (except one) were still empty...

Ordered the Caesar salad, which smelt terrible - really odd. I sent it back to the Kitchen for the chef to check, but they assured me it was because of the mix of 'fresh' ingredients. I relented and ate most of it, only to take a mouthful of something near the end that tasted awful. When we politely pointed this out to the (new) waitress, she walked off mid-way! Paid the bill with no tip.

Bumped into friends in the bar area and tried to order drinks from the bar, but the two 'Paris Hiltons' serving were too busy stuffing crushed ice into glasses with their bare hands and making a total hash of some poor blighters cocktails. The TWO bar staff were too busy making FOUR cocktails to take my order, until eventual they did with a sideways glance - the whole bar, by the way, was almost empty.

They did deliver my pint to our table, which was nice, except that I ordered three pints. Back to the still empty counter (which is about three feet away, but they still avoided eye contact, even in the near empty room) to get the missing beers, I was again ignored for some time. Bearing in mind that the bar counter is only six feet long and the staff so close, its a bit like being ignored in a phone box - it takes real skill to blank someone that close. Even 'I'll be with you in a minute' would have been nice. The bar top has interactive graphics, which I can only assume is to amuse you whilst you slowly die waiting the get served

The old place had a sort of shabby-chic and half-decent cocktail waiters - the new place is a laughably bad London-on-sea, white leather, contemporary mess, staffed with over primped, perma-tan's (I'm trying not to be sexist here) who are indifferent in the extreme.

Pint of on-tap import Japanese lager only £3 (over a pound less than the pub only three doors away) - good. Glass of average house white wine - £6!!!!!

Wytes is expensive with bad decor, bad food, badly made drinks and bad service.

7 Thank Forked

Southampton, United Kingdom
“What an improvement after new management”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

WOW seems to be the only word that springs to mind for this establishment. Honestly couldn't fault anything. The only down side was my VERY sore head the next morning.. that was definitely down to the cosmopolitans... which I was delighted to see are now being garnished the correct way with flamed orange. Could have spent hours playing on the ibar which the girls tell me is the very first outside of London. how exciting. I think these bad comments below that seem to be very similar could be a taste of sour grapes.. Any one looking to visit a funky bar with great staff. professional cocktails and delicious food. I couldn't recommend anywhere better. I STRONGLY suggest you ignore the bad comments :)

7 Thank joanne w
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Great Night out”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

A group of girls went to Wytes last week to celebrate a birthday and what a great night we had. The platter that comes with each bottle of wine ordered is delicious and the other tapas dishes very good as well. Enjoyed the Chilean Cab Sav and the service was very good. Nice to have somewhere bright and cheerful to go in Lymington.

2 Thank Jackie B
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

Well..... I really don't think I visited the same establishment as these few 'rave' reviews claim it to be!

Having made a reservation a few days prior to our visit upon arrival they had no record of this. It didn't seem like we needed to book anyway as including our party there were 5 people in the restaurant (yes that includes the staff!)

Inefficient and rude is the best way to describe the staff!

Food was below average at best and the drinks tasted more like they were from a cheap bottled brand than a trained cocktail bartender!

I wish we hadn't bothered and we definitely will not be returning!!

3 Thank Greg T
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyed this new venue”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Were regular visitors to it's predecessor and was very pleased with the changes made. The furnishings are contemporary and tasteful. The Menu is interesting and the platter we had was first class. We sat outside and found the atmosphere very enjoyable.

• Visited July 2013