“Jennie”

Fuzzacker Guided Walks and Tours
Ranked #11 of 21 Tours in Lymington
More attraction details
Owner description: We are based in the New Forest where we lead guided walks and provide commentaries for coach tours. We also lead walks in Dorset and other parts of the country. Friendly and knowledgeable guides provide information about history, traditions, flora and fauna etc and all are insured and 1st-aid trained. Walks are at a gentle pace and vary in length. Fuzzacker Tours work with a number of hotels in providing top-value weekend breaks and offer bespoke walks and tours as well as scheduled events. Children and dogs welcome.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Having driven through the forest many times it was time I put my walking boots on and really explored the wonderful landscape - my internal navigation system is not that good so it was appropriate to call in Fuzzacker - at least then I wouldn't have to be rescued. From the moment we set off for our walk the scenery was inspiring and the company fantastic. My eyes were truly opened to the beauty of nature in the forest with lots of added bits of information regarding kissing trees, bogs, fungi, animals and fruits. I can truly say that with Fuzzacker leading the way you will enjoy a light hearted, informative day's walking. I would like to do a walk every month as the forest will change so much and I still feel there is so much more to see. I would highly recommend this walk.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I would highly recommend Fuzzacker. I enjoyed a wonderful weekend in the New Forest with my walking group.The Forest Lodge hotel was perfectly placed for the walks in the forest. Steve and Sarah are wonderful hosts and incredibly knowledgeable about the working and management of the forest. If you would like good company and varied walks sprinkled with some education, then choose Fuzzacker.You will not regret it.

Fuzzacker, Owner at Fuzzacker Guided Walks and Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thanks for the great reviews. Sarah and I very much enjoyed the weekend too and appreciated the interest and enthusiasm of such a friendly group.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was also on walking weekend based at Forest Lodge Hotel in Lyndhurst, and i learned so much from our two very knowledgeable guides Steve and Sarah about life in the New Forest: its history, the ponies, its trees and its fungi. The walks gave us a real feeling for this National Park and we had two very enjoyable lunch stops at Forest restaurants so no picnics to carry with us. The weather remained dry throughout our stay but somewhat lacking in sunshine.
Our accomadation at this Best Western hotel was very comfortable and i especially enjoyed the indoor swimming pool and sauna after a days walking
Evenings were equally enjoyable with a quiz on one night and a quartet of musicians to entertain us on the other evening.
I would thoroughly reccomend Fuzzacker Guided Walks and Tours if you want to enjoy the countryside and learn about life in country

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Just returned from a weekend in the New Forest with my walking group which was organised by Fuzzacker. The whole weekend was very well organised - right from my inital contact in January. The hotel (Forest Lodge at Lyndhurst) was excellent, the walking interesting, guides (Steve & Sarah) well informed and the entertainment well recieved - special congratulations to the 'ukes of mass destruction'! - brilliant!
Would highly recommnend to any group organiser.

Thank you. It was a good weekend and one of the reasons for its success was the good organisation and communication of the walking group's leader which was really appreciated.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I wanted a walking tour (with my dog) of the New Forest to gain a deeper understanding of the ethos of the forest and those who maintain it. This forest is a semi natural landscape which has been shaped since prehistoric times by man and his animals. It is the largest remaining area of lowland heath in Britain and the mosaic of different habitats provide for a rich flora and fauna.
Steve arrived at the hotel promptly and informed me that The Drift was taking place. This event gave excitement to our walk. I was shown the distinctive markings on the trees left by the early settlers (builders of the railway). The oak trees had a strange twisted shape at the top whereby the wood had been cut away. Following this form of harvest, the oak tree continues to grow . Moss and holly become important in the growth of the trees. Holly leaves had sharp prickles at the grazing levels but higher up were soft and smooth to the touch. Interestingly, the ancient woodland as a unique butchers bush. This was used to create a witches like broom used for clearing blood and butchers waste. The weather switches like a light switch from sunny to drizzly rain.
The process of eugenics ensures that the strongest and fitteststags andstallions are placed onto the forest enabling the quality rather than quantity of offspring is high. The commoners rights are linked to land ownership. They have the right to graze their horses and livestock in accordance to strict guidelines. The horses processed by The Drift are identified by distinctive tail cutting(linked to ownership). The horses and roaming livestock create a unique landscape with peep holes to magnificent views. The role of the heathlands are essential for the maintenance of the forest. Native species such as adders, grass snakes, sand lizards and carabidae( New forest beetle)can be seen with a little patience. Steve spoke in detail about the forest trees. I came away with a deeper understanding of the forest ethos. Acorns were now ripened and about to drop onto the ground. Pigs were to be placed on the land for 60 days to clear the acorns. Horses can eat the acorns but not excessively. Locals spoke of a whiteass (donkey x deer) which was taken off the land after 2 years to prevent further inbreeding. There are a number of whitestags andHines seen near Lyndhurst. Cows are now on the land as part of the land management process. I enjoyed my walk and time flew so fast. I came away with an insiders knowledge and a deeper appreciation of the forest. I felt a sense of pride to see The Drift in action. Money could not put a price on that. Allow Steve's tours to open your eyes, you will not be disappointed, I promise.