“Don't waste your time or money”
Review of Lymington Fish Bar

Lymington Fish Bar
Ranked #40 of 119 Restaurants in Lymington
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Description: We are a traditional British fish and chip restaurant and takeaway. Serving premium cuts of cod, haddock and plaice, all served in our own special crispy batter. We use only premium products and constantly review the market to improve products where we can. Our shop has been fully refurbished to provide a pleasant and comfortable dining experience.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We popped here today for takeaway fish and chips. We queued and waited 30 minutes for cod & chips and haddock & chips. The service was dire and they were the lest enthusiastic staff I've ever met. The shop had run out of forks so we had to eat our takeaway with our fingers. The portion size was very small and the chips were disappointing, as was the batter and the cod was overlooked. The only good thing was the haddock was tasty. I definitely would not go back.

1  Thank YsanneBean
Anne H, Owner at Lymington Fish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I am really sorry that your food was not up to the standard we aim to deliver. We took this shop over in March and have worked hard to improve the quality of the products we provide and we continue to make improvements every day. We use only premium cod and haddock and we have had the batter specially developed to provide a tasty and crisp accompaniment to the fish. We have had a lot of very positive feedback but that clearly was not your experience and for that I sincerely apologise. It was a busy weekend but inexcusable that we ran out of forks!
We can only learn from feedback and strive to improve and I hope you will visit us in the future and have a much better experience.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

No competition. Needs updating, should offer less popular types of fish like hake or pollack. Restaurant needs redoing and the drinks and bread are like a throwback to the seventies! Still always a queue....

1  Thank Out to lunch P
Reviewed 14 April 2014

On a recent family Sunday day out we drove to Lymington. We found that the pre chosen fish shop in Pennington was closed so we drove back into town and were lucky to park in the busy high street. Lymington Fish and Chips was open and we ordered, three Cod, one Haddock and a battered sausage. We then drove to the coastline. The Cods were nothing special, average taste and disappointingly of varying small sized portions. The Haddock was definitely the winner, being an enormous piece of very tasty fish, which we shared. All portions were salted and peppered, but the condiments, tartar etc. came in small plastic sachets priced at 25 pence each. However, the deal of the day was a small bottle of tomato ketchup for one pound.

1  Thank charles s
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Can't complain as it's a fish and chip restaurant. The portion size was plenty and certainly filling! However as with many fish and chip shops, the owners are limited by the cost of what they're buying in and perhaps I'm nostalgic for chips in cones of grease proof paper, plenty of chips, and those crispy bits in the bottom sitting in a little pool of vinegar!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I don't eat fish so what I am doing reviewing a fish and chips though I' ve had disappointments too. I go to Lymington occasionally. It's a nice town and the walk along the Solent to Keyhaven is abut my favourite in the UK. I make a point of having lunch in this restaurant as, over the years, It has never let me down. The chicken is the best I've had from a fish and chip shop, fried and crispy just the way I like it. The chips are good too and the portion size is generous. Ditto the onion rings. Service is friendly and I can't fault it.

1  Thank Davidofepsom40