“The rudest Fish and Chip Shop in England” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 119 Restaurants in Lymington
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Cuisines: Seafood, Fast food, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a traditional British fish and chip restaurant and takeaway. Serving premium cuts of cod, haddock and plaice, all served in our own special crispy batter. We use only premium products and constantly review the market to improve products where we can. Our shop has been fully refurbished to provide a pleasant and comfortable dining experience.
snales of brighton
“The rudest Fish and Chip Shop in England”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited this restaurant on Sunday 4th May at about 7.15pm to purchase Fish & Chips. There was a queue out side which we joined. The queue did not seem to move very fast and others joined after us. At about 7.45pm an announcement was made that they were stopping cooking any amore and were shutting for the night. I looked around to see if I could see a notice regarding trading hours but there did not appear to be one. No apologies, just all go away. I am sure that they had had a very busy day being a Bank holiday but possible they could organise their business in a better fashion. I have no idea as to the quality of their products and I feel that I will never return to find out.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Anne H, Owner at Lymington Fish Bar, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I am really sorry that you had such a poor experience of our shop. On the date you visited the shop was due to close at 7:00pm which is our normal Sunday closing time in winter. The staff worked on due to the queue you mentioned and kept serving until they had run out of prepared chips and at that point on of the junior staff was asked to inform customers that we had only limited products left and would have to close. Our customers are very important and on reading your account I fully agree that it should have been handled much better and we will learn from that. The trading hours are posted on the door and we have now added a second sign in the window. We open longer hours from Friday 30th May and I hope you will visit us again and give us an opportunity to redress the issue. Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the poor service you experienced.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“freshly cooked”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had to wait as it seemed everything was cooked to order, meaning it was hot. Very good chicken and chips, which we enjoyed down by the waterfront.

1 Thank Serena T
Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Fish and Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visited Lymington Fish and Chips after a busy day exploring the local area. With a two year old in tow we were after something quick and tasty and this certainly didn't disappoint. We ordered a cod and chips and a sausage and chips and we were very impressed with the both the service and quality of food. We will definitely be back on our next visit.

1 Thank Clare J
London, United Kingdom
“Quality fish & chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Spent a long weekend in Lymington for May bank holiday & with the nice weather, we stopped for fish and chips. There were customers queuing out the door when we arrived but it went down quite quickly. Staff were very pleasant, especially taking into consideration their small working area and the heat from the cooking. Ordered a portion of scampi and chips along with a portion of cod and chips (not all for me, honest) & we really enjoyed it - especially the cod - would definitely recommend!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Essex
“Don't waste your time or money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We popped here today for takeaway fish and chips. We queued and waited 30 minutes for cod & chips and haddock & chips. The service was dire and they were the lest enthusiastic staff I've ever met. The shop had run out of forks so we had to eat our takeaway with our fingers. The portion size was very small and the chips were disappointing, as was the batter and the cod was overlooked. The only good thing was the haddock was tasty. I definitely would not go back.

1 Thank YsanneBean
Anne H, Owner at Lymington Fish Bar, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I am really sorry that your food was not up to the standard we aim to deliver. We took this shop over in March and have worked hard to improve the quality of the products we provide and we continue to make improvements every day. We use only premium cod and haddock and we have had the batter specially developed to provide a tasty and crisp accompaniment to the fish. We have had a lot of very positive feedback but that clearly was not your experience and for that I sincerely apologise. It was a busy weekend but inexcusable that we ran out of forks!
We can only learn from feedback and strive to improve and I hope you will visit us in the future and have a much better experience.