“PENSIONERS SHORT BREAK SPOILT”
Review of The Mayflower

and 1 more site!
The Mayflower
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lymington
Reviewed 12 July 2013

After a long drive from Stoke-on-Trent searching for a room with a sea view - found this - ideal!
or so we thought!
Room (Ferry View) spacious and clean, lovely view as name suggests. Booked for the Monday night and Tuesday requested we stay for 3 more.
Problems started; first night starter and main meal served at same time, third night ordered whisky, dash of lemonade, NO ice, arrived drowned, WITH ice, TWICE!
Thursday night arrived back 8.30sh after spending the day with friends, went up to our room and could not believe our eyes, all our belongings had been removed, someone else's case on the bed.
An embarrassing and humilitating conversation took place in the bar with the Duty Manager,
Aneta, she being the one who booked us in on the Monday and the one I spoke to the following morning., She was adamant we had only booked 2 extra nights, I was adamant it was 3, I saw her write 3x£85 in the Register, there appeared to be no other bookings on the page. As she passed the Housekeeper in the bar (on her way to get me a hairdryer and jug of water) I heard Aneta tell her 2 more nights. I caught up with Aneta in the corridor near our room after she had delivered the hairdryer and water and told her it was 3 nights not 2. It was no use arguing further.
She presented the bill, I immediately noticed drinks that we had not had, she shouted at one of the bar staff for this error. She offered to go to a nearby B&B to see if they had a room for us.
We declined this offer as by now we were in no mood to be pleasant to anyone. I asked where our luggage was, she said they had packed it and kept it safe, I was upset at the thought of strangers going through our belongings especially our 'dirties'.
I paid the revised bill, we asked for them to fetch our luggage and went outside to our car. Aneta and a young man duly arrived with it and put it in our boot. We just stood there in complete shock as to what was happening. We drove onto the Quay to calm down, I decided to look at the bill again , we had been charged a total of 4 nights !!! Back to the bar much to the amusement of the staff, showed her the bill, her only comment was "o she (?) must have made a mistake" not a word of apology, she gave me my refund in cash. I said a sarcastic 'thank you' and we left.
Have since e-mailed the Manager asking her for comments regarding the fiasco. Naturally I had a reply that made me out to be a liar, according to what she had been told they had already booked us into a B&B, also the Housekeeper had stood next to us when I requested more nights.
So if you want a sea view B&B in a pub with reasonably priced food and drinks and staff that listen to customers requests GO ELSEWHERE but if you prefer to pay £17.50 for a bottle of House wine and £4.30 a pint of Guinness, be humiliated and embarrassed, thrown out and branded a liar,by all means book into THE MAYFLOWER, LYMINGTON.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pam186378

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Varied menu with daily specials and plenty of locally sourced food, reasionably priced and very good service - would definitely use again. Mostly on one level so suitable for people with minited mobility - just one step at front door I think.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

Over 3 years I've lived here the food prices at the Mayflower have more than doubled and the food is no better than average. £4.50 for a pint if cider was robbery. I certainly won't be visiting it again.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Mrchuff
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Just visited The Mayflower on a busy Bank Holiday evening - they coped well with a party of 13 and the food was delicious. It seems to me that the pub has acted quickly to resolve some of the issues raised recently.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2013

we visited the Mayflower whilst in the New Forrest from the outside it looked pleasant...we sat down and ordered food..i ordered a Baguette with ham and Dijon Mustard..the Baguette duly arrived i took one bite and it nearly blew my head off!!my eyes were watering and i couldnt catch my breath!1 opened the Baguette and it was smothered in Mustard i scooped copious amounts out and started again same reaction so much so i had to drink some of my husbands beer to calm my throat..whoever had made this Baguette had obviously put way to much mustard on it and it was inedible..after a few bites i approached the bar and explained i couldnt eat it the chap behind the bar said he could se what he could do.he returned to say that orders from the Kitchen(the manager actually) was that i new it had Mustard in it so tough luck i had eaten to much of it anyway i had two bites and that if i wanted another i would have to pay for it!!!i stressed i asaked for a Baguette with ham and mustard not a Mustard Baguette with a little ham it cut no ice!! we didnt finish our meal we paid the £25 bill and left....this Manager can obviously afford to lose Customers!!i i did e mail him but still havent had the courstsey of a reply..there are some very nice pubs in Lymington who value thier customers this isnt one avoid AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank billa63
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just as the original Mayflower crew sought sustinance before departing on their one way cruise, our combined crew of 15 hungry pilgims sought a farewell meal before venturing out on the briny for a spring weekend.
Our booked visit met some organisational problems. Although happy to accept a booking for a table for15, they were not able to accept a meal order for 15. They wanted everyone to order, and pay separately at the bar. Eventually, after an hour of indecision, arising from an otherwise crowded restaurant they decided that they could possibly find someone to take a table order and a gross billing..
It took another hour to start to deliver the ordered meals, with the rare steaks arriving first, finishing with the well cooked ones, and eventually the more esoteric dishes.

According to the experts, the required French mustard was a bit on the bright yellow side, but the girl guaranteed it was French mustard and deigned to bring out the bottle, real 'French's' mustard all the way from New Jersey!, just the thing for a hot dog. Whatever happened to that brown sticky but sweet stuff of childhood? The Manager said that the EEC had banned it? and now only a French company in Dijon can make and sell French Mustard.

Otherwise a reasonable meal, in a themeless restaurant, with live guitar in the background, benefiting from its proximity to parking, the yacht haven.and both yachting clubs

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KentishPilgrim
Reviewed 14 March 2013

An attractive building by the marina with plenty of parking and only 15 minutes` walk from the town centre. The rooms were fairly large and well-equipped with a modern bathroom. However, the rooms lacked sufficient lighting and were cold as the windows are single-glazed, metal-framed and lead-lit thus letting in the very cold March wind.There was tea and coffee but not even a biscuit.
The evening meal represented good value for money but breakfast was poor.Although the cooked breakfast was of a good standard there was no menu and no cooked alternative to the components of a standard English breakfast. A request for kippers was met with total incomprehension by the Polish waitress.Cereals were the usual packets with a bowl of powdery muesli as well.The toast was better than in most places as decent bread was used.I asked for fruit and an apple and a banana were brought but the next day a bowl of fruit appeared.
This place could be so good but lets itself down by lack of attention to detail.

Room Tip: It would be nice to have a view of the marina which we didn`t get even though we booked early.