“Superb bed and breakfast. Very relaxing stay”

Leyland Country House
Ranked #8 of 43 Lymington B&B and Inns
Wellingborough, Northants
“Superb bed and breakfast. Very relaxing stay”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We booked this bed and breakfast to have a few days away for our 10th anniversary (the New Forest was our very first holiday as a couple). The owner, (Liese Cairnes), met us upon arrival and immediately made us feel so welcome. She also recommended places to eat and things to see. We had the purple room which was absolutely gorgeous! We fell in love with the decor of the en suite which is stunning. The bedroom itself is very stylish and has some great touches such as a proper coffee machine. Liese also provided us with fresh milk upon request. All the staff were really friendly and the service was exceptional. Breakfast was very tasty and fulfilling. In summary we couldn't fault the place and had a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place. 5 stars!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cccccjjjjj
leyland1, Owner at Leyland Country House, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
What an amazing review! Thank you so very much! It is reviews like this that make all the hard work behind the scenes worthwhile.
All we want and our job is to ensure that all guests have the best time we can possibly deliver. All my staff are British and we are the classic in modern BRITISH bed and breakfast. I do feel this is what clients wish, to sample and be give an insight in to proper British culture.
Many Thanks
Liese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed for three nights just a couple of days ago. Welcoming and friendly my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed in the "White" room which was lovely in all respects. Would recommend if available. Food plentiful and of very good quality. Location superb with short walk to Lymington centre of around 15 mins and room to sit outside in patio area. Very friendly indeed. Would stay again without hesitation if choosing to stay in the Lymington area.
Thank you.
Keith and Judy

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Keith and Judy
Many many thanks for a wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you both again,
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Lovely guest house in walking distance of Lymington. Room was clean,and appreciated all the extra little touches. Breakfast was lovely and a warm welcome received. Here is the but, the house is old and has original doors which are very noisy,especially when other guests are inconsiderate enough to let them bang in the early hours. This meant our sleep was disturbed and the following day was a bit short due to being tired. I wouldn't stay there again but would recommend to heavy sleepers!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry your sleep was disturbed by an inconsiderate guest. It is an unfortunate hazard for all owners I am afraid. The doors are not old, they are original doors with very modern, expensive door handles. There are only 3 doors that have 'closers' on them, that completely reduce the door noise to virtually nil. However guests on the very odd occasion, force these doors, particularly if they may have had the odd too many glasses of wine! It is annoying, we have checked and re-positioned the 'closers' this has reduced the issue. Thank you for making us aware of it, please do come back again and see us.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Myself and two others have just stayed in the 2 bedroom cottage along with our two dogs. on arrival we had a very warm and pleasant greeting from the owner who showed us into the cottage, the cottage was immaculately clean and well maintained and offered all the essential items necessary for a self catering holiday, there was also a doggy welcome hamper on arrival containing blankets and treats which i thought was a really nice touch. we were not disturbed at all during our say and felt free to come and go as we please but also comforted at the fact if we needed someone they were only meters away we also had family come up to visit us for one day and I wanted to check this was ok with the owner as they would be bringing a car, she was more then happy with this and said they were welcome to stay around the cottage and make use of the gardens as well, the cottage is in a great location set close to the town centre and everything thing else the new forest has to offer, overall we have had a fantastic stay and I would recommend leyland country house to anyone planning a holiday in the new forest.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for all your kind comments. We feel the cottage is of an extremely high standard, we are delighted you felt at home and relaxed, we have achieved our aim!
Please do tell your friends as we now do take doggies in both units, offer breakfast and both units are ground floor.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend for our wedding anniversary. We would normally stay in a hotel, but decided to stay somewhere different. We had the 'Barn' which is set in the large grounds.
It was possibly the cleanest place i have ever stayed in, it was immaculate, not even a hint of any scuffing on the walls, kitchen and bathroom spotless. Huge bed in the bedroom, nice bedding and pillows, slept really well.
The owner, Liese came tio see us to make herself known, very friendly and helpful, lovely lady.
Had read a very negative review of the Barn, so was concerned we would not like it, but i can honestly say it is a lovely place to stay for a private, romantic weekend.
The negative review i read was a total load of rubbish, the person concerned was obviously never going to be happy, and would probably find something wrong with the best suite at the Ritz.
We will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chris j
Thank you so very much for taking the time to do such an amazing review. If I had read the review you had, one has to think 'what is going on here?' I am glad that we won through, as the barn is a great, romantic, value for money accommodation that is extremely popular with all types of guests.
Many many thanks
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This was our first stay in a B&B, and we were worried about finding it, so we hired a car (rather than our usual public transport journeys). We needn't have worried, the train station was less than a ten minute walk anyway, but for April it was quite cold, not worth the walk.
We were greeted promptly at 5pm when we arrived, and the door was opened by a woman before we even had the chance to knock. The house was gorgeous, big and bright and away from the road, so as to avoid traffic noise (I am a very noise sensitive person.)

I cannot name the woman who we spoke to unfortunately, but she was there for the two days that we were, and she was lovely. We stayed in the pink room which was on the top floor, and was fantastic. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had a bathroom to ourselves (which was unfortunately just outside the bedroom, but not far and was not an issue - we never saw anyone up there, very private). Shower pressure was fantastic, as was the hot water, and all the facilities were pristine.

We were asked if we needed any advice on where to eat, and originally we were going for chinese. We were instead advised of a pub just up the road, which apparently had a limited but fantastic menu (among several other places). We chose the pub as it was close to the country house and it was honestly the best meal I have had in a long time.

We got back to the house quite late but it was easy to get inside (code on the door) and nice and quiet.

The only complaint I could possibly think of is that all rooms seem to have little storage areas in the walls, which the sound seems to travel through a little, but as i said, I am very noise sensitive and my boyfriend was not bothered at all.

Thank you to the lovely woman who greeted us - breakfast was fantastic as well, sorry we didn't see you before we left!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am glad you loved the house, we do and the location. It is daunting the first time you stay in a bed and breakfast as we all think of Fawlty Towers! I am delighted we have shown you that it is the best option to stay in a bed and breakfast! We think so anyway!
Many thanks hope to see you both again
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This negative review is based on 3 main areas:
The accommodation is rated as 4 star and neither the accommodation nor the owner's attitude could be described as anything near 4 star.
The accommodation was (and still is) being mis-sold: it is not as advertised on the web-site.
The owner took £300 from my credit card at the end of the holiday without my knowledge or consent.
Please take the time to read this review which I hope you will find helpful.
I stayed at 'The Barn', Leyland Country House, with my son at the beginning of July 2012. The price was agreed at £550 for one week (no breakfast included) which is the high end for the size and type of accommodation. I booked on the basis of the description and supporting photographs of 'The Barn' as advertised on the web site. This information was and still is inaccurate and the owner is mis selling this accommodation.
On making the telephone booking with the owner, Ms Cairnes, I advised her that I was looking for self catering accommodation and she suggested 'The Barn'. I particularly wanted this type of accommodation as I plan all our meals beforehand, shop and bring everything with me so that no time is wasted during the holiday and enabling me to cook what I wanted, when I wanted. I checked the details and the photos which showed that 'The Barn' had the necessary equipment for my requirements and the description reads "The Kitchen is equip with “all mod cons”, including washing machine, microwave, grill with a 2 ring electric hob, up to the minute oven, fridge and freezer".(cut and pasted from web site).
On arrival I was amazed to find that the 'up to the minute oven' had been removed and a swing bin stood in the gap. The advertised '2 ring electric hob' had been replaced with 2 FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY camping butane gas burners which posed a significant health and safety risk (The Health and Safety Executive have advised Ms Cairnes to remove these).
The owner was nowhere to be found and, as there was no cooker, I was unable to cook the meal I had planned. I complained to 2 members of staff who advised me that there was a microwave and that Ms Cairnes would be informed of my complaint when she returned the following day. After a planned day out in the New Forest with friends, we returned to 'The Barn' and went in search of the owner. Ms Cairnes suggested that she did not know of my complaint and not only refused to listen but was hostile and abusive to myself and my son. She said that the microwave was also an oven and a grill (which did not work independently of the oven) and that "no-one else had complained". I politely informed her that this was not adequate self catering equipment and was not as advertised. She had ample time to inform me of the changes made before we came but had failed to do so and I was therefore not given the opportunity to make an informed decision on whether to accept the changes or not. She agreed that she should have let me know. I made her aware that I would not have booked this accommodation if I had been told of the removal of the cooker and changes to the equipment as it was not suitable for my requirements. I was left with no option but to use the dangerous gas burners and, without a conventional cooker or separate grill, I was extremely limited in what I could cook.
Ms Cairnes was paid a total of £350 (£200 deposit as requested by her and a further £150 cheque at the end of the holiday). I rejected Ms Cairnes' offer of a £20 discount and she finally accepted (and subsequently cashed) my cheque for £150 and she issued me with a signed receipt and wrote on it "full and final settlement". I therefore believed that this was the end of the matter.
Not only did Ms Cairnes cash both cheques totalling £350 but she also, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT, took a further two amounts (totalling £300) from my credit card making a grand total of £650! On taking this up with my credit card company and providing them with all the evidence of my payments and Ms Cairnes' signed receipt, they informed me that there would be no problem getting my money back. Unfortunately, due to the credit card company failing to send the correct documentation at the right time, Ms Cairnes was allowed to keep the illegally obtained £300. The credit card company did refund me my £300 as it was their error but I feel it is appalling that Ms Cairnes has been allowed to keep the money that she took from my credit card and that she makes no apology for doing this. According to previous negative reviews, this is not the first time she has taken money from credit cards without authorisation.
Ms Cairnes did not feel able to respond to any of the points raised in letters sent to her after the holiday in respect of mis-selling, providing dangerous equipment and taking money from my credit card without authorisation. Her only comment was that it was up to us to leave if we weren't satisfied with the accommodation but, according to her terms and conditions, NO REFUNDS WILL BE MADE so of course she would be happy for her guests to leave!
If you are looking for a professional, helpful service and correctly advertised accommodation - don't go here. Should you decide to ignore this review and give it a go, it might be wise to keep your credit card details to yourself!
A few other points you might like to take into consideration are:
No storage space.
Poorly equipped kitchen and badly scratched frying pan.
Kettle provided with brown sludge in bottom (replaced on request).
Owner's children/friends parked within a few feet of bedroom window playing loud music/revving engine.
Health and Safety issue - microwave on top of fridge/freezer with power lead hanging down and plugged into an extension lead.
No bathmat provided. Bath towels hard and definitely not luxury and were not replaced with fresh towels during the holiday.
Ants in shower (emerging from shower attachment on wall).
Bring own cleaning products/cloths or you will be charged for cleaning.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank Holiday_Hep2012
leyland1, Owner at Leyland Country House, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Thank you for your review regarding the self-catering accommodation here at Leyland Country House. I am rather upset and confused as to why are you complaining nearly 6 months after staying with us, had there been such an issue, surely you would’ve posted your review immediately?

To those reading this review and deciding whether to stay at my bed and breakfast, I would like to take this opportunity to defend myself and clarify what happened over the course of your stay.

It was the height of the season at the end of July and you were staying in the beautiful Barn; it had just been refurbished, complete with new floorings, soft furnishings and a kitchen revamp. At the time and ever since everyone has been delighted with the barn. The views are stunning across the National Park, both inside the property and whilst relaxing in the private garden area. It is totally self -contained allowing you utter privacy.

1. The Issue with the Oven
- The reason the gas oven was removed from the barn was because 3 clients had previously left the gas running whilst out for the day and this was obviously both a health and safety and fire risk. The replacement oven was a multifunction surface top oven, recommended by health and safety. With regards to the description on my website it is correct. There is a fully up to the minute oven, perhaps not the one you were expecting but it is actually better than the previous one; not only can it be used as an oven it also functions separately as both a grill and a microwave if you wish. We recognise that you may want to use both the oven and microwave at the same time and so there is also a SEPARATE microwave installed in the barn.

2. The issue with the gas hobs
- Obviously the previous oven that was removed had gas hobs on top, therefore to ensure clients still have the same equipment available I had ordered in electric hobs for the barn. Unfortunately just before you arrived they broke due to a manufacturing fault, this was out of my hands to fix; rather than leave you without hobs I temporarily gave you two gas hobs which had been cleared to use inside by health and safety. I appreciate this wasn’t what you were expecting however I did discuss it with you on your arrival and explained the situation.

- Having reported us to the Health and Safety Department, I welcomed them with open arms to come and visit the accommodation. I showed the officer the faulty hobs and gas hobs replacements used during your stay. I was told they were fine to use inside while waiting for the replacement hobs. She commented on how delightful the accommodation was.

3. The Issue with the payment for your bill
- When a client reaches the end of their stay no money has been taken until they decide on their payment method, yes I have their credit card details for security against the booking however at the end of the week when you came to pay the balance for your 7 night stay no money had been transferred in relation to your stay.

- We reserve the right to charge a deposit against damages, which is never charged until the client completes their holiday and only then if damages have been incurred and discussed with the client. The deposit for your stay was £200, as we had your card details no cheque was needed. However we received a cheque in the post from you, prior to your stay. Our policy when this happens is to contact the client and ask if they want the cheque held or sent back. You told us to hold the cheque.

- When you came to settle your bill, you were very aggressive and told me that you wanted the holiday for FREE and refused to pay any of the £550 for the weeks stay. I very calmly raised the point that it is illegal to stay in accommodation and then refuse to pay for it at the close of your holiday. You then said you were only prepared to pay £350 in cheques for the week, we had to ‘take it or leave it’. You also told me you would be then be cancelling the £350 in cheques when you got home! Thus meaning you had paid nothing for the holiday… I had never been put in this situation!

- You left 2 cheques amounting to £350 (The £200 deposit cheque and a further cheque for £150) and left my premises
- I called my card provider to ask what I should do. I was advised to call the police however I wasn’t keen as I felt this was over zealous. They told me to charge the balance of the stay not covered by the 2 cheques to your card. This came to £200, however £300 was taken as a caution over your claim that the cheques would be cancelled. I then cashed the cheques as your bill was in fact £550 and it was you that had decided you were only prepared to pay £350, only after we reminded you it was illegal to not settle your bill.

- Overall you got a £50 discount from the £550 as once all money had cleared to a total of £650 I sent you a reimbursement cheque for £150, which you cashed. On top of the £50 discount you also received a £300 refund from your credit card company. Therefore you only paid £250 for your holiday in total.

4. The Issue regarding being charged for checking out early
- It is not true when you say in your review that I said should you wish to leave you would be charged for the seven nights. I offered for you to check out free of charge, no cost to yourself as you were obviously not happy. I also offered you your deposit cheque back but you refused to leave and said you wanted to stay. By staying you accepted the accommodation and the cost for your holiday. Nobody forced you to stay, if the accommodation was that bad why did you not check out?

5. The Issue with regards to my ‘attitude’
- I beg to differ when you say I was unhelpful with regards to the hobs, both I and two members of staff helped to explain to you how the gas hobs should be used, for over an hour. You refused to even try the multipurpose oven and so I offered my own family oven for your use on two occasions. I would like to take a moment here to let you know that as a B and B owner I was appalled with your attitude towards myself and my staff, I understand the mantra ‘ The customer is always right’ however in this case both my staff and I felt threatened by you and quite frankly intimidated by your aggressive nature.

Not only were you rude to us but you also stormed into other clients accommodation demanding to look at their facilities. They were very taken aback by your attitude, one client (who has been in the hotel industry for twenty years) even asked to speak to me with regards to your behaviour.

6. The issue with car parking and noise
- In July none of my children were old enough to hold a driving licence! You stayed in the summer holidays when all places are busy. I cannot be held responsible for other clients playing music from their cars. If I do hear clients being noisy then of course we ask them to be a little quieter.

7. The Issue with Cleaning products
- Cleaning products are provided in both self-catering units free of charge to ensure that you have cleaning materials for the duration of your stay. The cost that you are referring to is a cleaning service offered to those who either do not want to clean the property after their stay or are unable to. It is not an included charge and is only ever charged without the customer asking for the service should the property have been trashed; for example a previous charge was for stained carpets/ crayon on the walls/ biro on the floors and damaged wardrobes!

8. Why I have taken the time to write this reply
I have taken the time to write this reply as I feel that Trip Advisor is being used more and more continuously for people to vent their frustration at things that have nothing to do with our independent businesses. You are writing this review 7 months after you stayed, I question why all of a sudden you have decided to share your view, and I also question how much you truly remember of your stay as certain things you have claimed are untrue. In my opinion you have probably had a bad day and so have decided to take it out on me and my business!

It upsets when I receive reviews like this because as you can see from my Trip advisor page this is only the 6th review like it in the nearly 8 years I have been trading. Considering the number of people we have to stay here that isn’t even 1 bad review per annum.

On occasions we cannot please certain people and as a human I can only do my best. I feel the issue with you when you stayed was a personal one rather than the state of my self-catering unit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lymington
Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort
#1 of 3 in Beaulieu
The Mayflower
The Mayflower
#6 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Leyland Country House? Share your experiences!