“excellent food and service”
Review of Egan's - CLOSED

Egan's
Price range: US$67 - US$67
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Visited Egans with friends. The service was very good, with staff taking into account dietary requirements of 2 of our party without any fuss. Although slightly more expensive than some other restaurants in Lymington the quality of the food served was excellent, even down to the homemade sweets served with coffee. A lovely evening and would certainly return again.

1  Thank LymingtonLady

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had lunch on a recent Saturday and as I have always found previously, it was excellent. A three course meal for circa £18.00 represented outstanding value, quality and quantity! Like a previous reviewer, I am also acquainted with some Michelin starred restaurants and have to say what is provided here is on a par, if not actually better in some cases. Certainly I know of no other restaurant in Hampshire that provides this quality or quantity for the price; £18.00 would be the price of a main course only in many restaurants and for half the portion size. My only disappointment is not always being able to get a table when I want one; got to be a good sign though?

1  Thank Jerry G
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was taken here by my partner for my birthday last week as a treat. I was expecting something slightly less upmarket judging by the reviews but it is a very classy establishment. Upon arrival we were asked if we would like a drink in the bar area first which we had whilst browsing the menu. It was very relaxed and we felt we could peruse the menus at leisure. Whilst the drinks were quite pricey, £10 for a small glass of champagne the spirits and mixers were reasonable.
The waitress overhead us mention my birthday and had laid out decorations on the table, such a thoughtful touch.
The food was absolutely incredible. The scallop starter was the best starter I've ever had, they were generous, juicy and perfectly cooked with a fabulous pea and black pudding accompaniment. My partner had the chicken livers, again they were sublime and we both tasted each other's. For main my other half had the duck, it was cooked to perfection and he did enjoy it but it did have a slight stir fry taste to it which he wasn't expecting but it wasn't a problem it just wasn't what he expected. I had the trio of lamb, the cutlets, the fillet and the shepherds pie...all were incredible. I've never had a better lamb dish and the side vegetables and dauphinoise potatoes were great. We didn't have room for pudding unfortunately as they looked fabulous.

If I ever return to Lymington I will not do so without revisiting this fantastic restaurant. Our combined bill came to just under £100 so it's not cheap but it is so worth it. Do not hesitate to eat here, it truly is fantastic and the service was fantastic. Thank you Egan's for a very memorable birthday meal.

1  Thank Kylie O
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I live in Lymington and have eaten at every restaurant and most pubs. I am also reasonably well travelled and have eaten in Michelin Star restaurants a number of times. Although this isn't quite on a par with these establishments, £ for £ this is right up there. The restaurant is of medium size, tables not too close to each other, and of good decor. There is also a nice garden area to the rear for summer months or a cigarette. The owners are lovely and the staff always gauge what level of attention you need well. Not in your face and not impossible to find if you know what I mean. Food really is good. Great value for money and a good menu that caters for most tastes. Quality never seems to falter and I will continue to I use this restaurant in the future. I would recommend dining here to everyone!

1  Thank Antony R
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I live in Lymington and have eaten here many times and without doubt its the best place in town

There is always an excellent fish selection, the menu is regularly changed the and service is attentive. If you eat in one restaurant in Lymington make it Eagan's

Make sure you book or you may be disappointed

1  Thank Paul441