“Nice location, nice rooms, excellent breakfast”

Wavecrest Guest House
Ranked #21 of 28 Lowestoft B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have stayed at Wavecrest a couple of times over the last twelve months. Before that, I stayed in a nearby hotel, where the price was double and the service the same.

During last year's summer period, this nearby hotel was fully booked and I was forced to find something else. This nice B&B was recommended by colleagues and their recommendation proved to be more than just words.

The Wavecrest Guest House offers the same facilities as the nearby hotel, for roughly half the price.

Make sure that the owner (Sue) knows at which time you will be arriving. She does not live close the B&B and to prevent that you need to stand and wait in front of a closed door, she has arranged that the tenant of the lower floor apartment will open the door for you. He will show you your room and just tell him at what time you wish to have breakfast.

The breakfast is good, and cooked to order. The breakfast room sea view is splendid.

The B&B is located very conveniently between several bars and restaurants at a couple of hundred meters distance. It is located far enough from these bars to ensure a good night's rest.

There are five rooms in the B&B and my personal favourite is room number 3, which is a double room with en-suite bathroom, comfortable seats and with the mentioned sea view. I have stayed in rooms 1,2 and 5 as well. Room 4 is a single room at the front side, which has its own larger bathroom across the hallway.

The beds are good and comfortable and the showers are warm.

The B&B has excellent Wifi, which is fast enough to make decent video-calls.

I have stayed at the Wavecrest several times and I will definitly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 November 2013

A good quality, welcoming Guest House. The room was warm and well-equipped; wi-fi is good. The owners are very friendly and the breakfast is of an excellent standard. Sea views at the front are very relaxing!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed at Wave Crest for a total of ten days for work. I stayed in the single bedroom the first 5 days and then in the double bedroom the last 5 days. Both on the first floor and both had amazing views overlooking the sea. Ask for rooms at the front. Sue who runs it was lovely and was very accommodating and also cooks amazing Full English breakfasts. The rooms are big enough to stay in for a week. The single room on the first floor has a bigger then single bed and has a desk that overlooks the sea which was lovely to sit at and do my work in the evenings. The B and B is very close to places to eat and of course its very close to the sea front. There is free on street parking outside and I could always get a parking place. I stayed in October so this may not be the case in the summer.

I would definitely recommend this B and B as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the front for sea views. The single room on the first floor is slightly cheaper bu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed two nights over the Summer Bank Holiday in the single room on the first floor facing the sea. I arrived in the afternoon by train and knew that the owners wouldn't be in to greet me, though I hoped the person who'd open the door for me would give me a friendly greeting. A man, who didn't even introduced himself, let me in, showed me my room and left me with my house keys and instructions for the bath and internet password. It was all very curt and I felt a bit disgruntled.
The room itself was alright. It was clean and tidy, and there was big single bed with towels lying on the duvet, a table and a wardrobe (which had broken doors). The window overlooks the street which wasn't as quiet as I was told, especially during the day, and there's a big parking site before you come to the promenade and the sea.
It got very noisy at midnight when drunk, young people left the pub which is 300m away. I know that the owners can't be blamed for those people but they should have made me aware of this pub.
The bathroom was across the hall with a shower, toilet, window and basin, offering shower gel and shampoo in the mirror cabinet.

The breakfast was alright with cornflakes, toast, coffee, tea and English breakfast but I missed a bit the fresh local food I'm used from other B&B's, not packaged jam and butter.
The house and the neighbours were quiet, so that I can tell that I slept well (as soon as the drunks had passed the B&B).

The bus station is about 12min and the train station about 7min from Wavecrest Guest House. It's easy to go by foot to the city centre which is between the train station and the bus station.

Room Tip: If facing the road, keep the windows closed during the day as there're many cars and they don...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Silke F
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had stayed at Wavecrest two years previously and were very impressed. It was clean and well furnished, the owner was friendly and the breakfast delicious and we had a lovely break. However this time around we were not so lucky. When we arrived there was no-one there and when we phoned the B&B it went to answerphone and gave us another number to ring for "Ricky", which we did, and when Ricky answered he said we had not been booked in to arrive that day and the room we had "booked" was to be let out to someone else the next night! He came round within 20 minutes, sorted out the problem by giving the next day's guest a different room so we could have our sea view room, and we were impressed at his quick and common-sense sorting of the problem. We unpacked and sat down for a while to watch the sea, only to see vans pulling up and men marking out the grass opposite with spray-paint and string. It turned out they were marking it out for a funfair which arrived within a few hours and set up camp right in front of the sea view. When I asked around it turned out the fair come every single year at that time. The owner must have known it would be there when we explained to her on the phone that we wanted that particular room because we wanted a sea view. We stayed for two nights and instead of the peace and quiet we had been looking forward to all year, we had a noisy fairground. Also, when we went out on the second day we left some cereal bars in the room which were missing when we got back after the room had been restocked (teabags, etc). The B&B was still clean and comfortable and the breakfast enjoyable, but sadly I wouldn't stay again. I expected a phone call to apologise for obviously forgetting to write down our booking and effectively giving our room to someone else - if it wasn't for Ricky's quick thinking we would have wasted £100 getting there on the train. There was no such phone call and thus, I can't recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: I recommend the sea view rooms. Mention if you have trouble getting around, as two rooms are up two...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LilyMB_7
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Wavecrest, having been to the Latitude Festival on the Saturday. It is situated right on the sea front, with parking outside. We had room 1 which was on the top floor, and can be either a king size or twin I think, it had good unrestricted sea view as well. The beds were comfy, the room clean, the on suite was modern, and the breakast lovely. What more do you need.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 999Norwich
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Wavecrest is a comfortable stop-over. Although there is no resident's lounge, rooms are large and comfortable with good views over the sea. There at two armchairs and a coffee table in the bay window. There is a large wall mounted television with Freeview.I There is a nice modern en suite bathroom with a large - double sized - shower. The beds are comfortable although the pillows are the one downside of the room. They are flat, compressed and without support of any kind. They should be changed to match the level of the rest of the rooms. Breakfast is as good as you would hope for. A limited number of cereals but with fresh fruit salad, always a plus. A non-greasy cooked breakfast is on offer with tea or coffee and white bread toast. We weren't offered the choice of brown bread.

I'm quite happy to recommend Wavecrest to anyone looking for a short stay in Lowestoft. The lack of resident's lounge might be a pain if you stay longer but I suppose that depends on the size of your group and on how social you are.

• Stayed: May 2013