Winelodge Suites
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Like others that have written here, this is the very first review I have been compelled to write. Regrettably, it's a reflection of how bad an experience this was. We booked this hotel on the strength of the webiste description and photos. They must have photographed a completely different hotel to that shown on their website. The room was meant to be an Executive Suite, rooms 501~503. There was no evidence of the luxury appointments so proudly illustrated on their website. Instead, we were confronted with a shabby, dirty, poorly appointed sorry excuse for a hotel suite!!! Evidence of damp on the walls, peeling paintwork and a patched up bath, (walk in power shower, pah!!!!), joke!!! No sign of the 42" plasma TV, WiFi, (only in the bar), or plush sofa's or any of the nice fixtures and fittings shown on the website. I would go as far to say that the on-line description is totally misleading, this hotel should be investigated by trading standards for mirepresentation. Given that we booked a suite that should be able to accommodate 4 people, you would have expected that the kitchen area would be appointed accordingly, not a chance!!

I should also mention that there is a nightclub below that has the sort of reputation that you need to avoid. Police present till 3am. No safe parking, (I actually parked my car in the car park of another hotel, down the road), and no one on reception in the 3 days we were there, only the bar staff that are clearly not equipped to deal with hotel clientelle. The road is very noisy, all of the time.

I have stayed in many hotels both in the UK and abroad both through work and family holidays, and I can honestly say that this one falls into the very worst category of accommodation I have stayed in. The owners of this establishment should be ashamed of themselves for the gross misrepresentation presented on their website and very poor state of the hotel. They deserve to go out of business unless they up their game significantly. My one regret is that I had pre-paid for the suite, otherwise I would have checked out immediately, fortunately our stay was only two nights.

I hope this review has a twofold effect, 1, the owners take serious note of how not to run a hotel, and 2, it provides a warning to others that may consider a stay at this place, my advice, don't, it's truly awful!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tony D

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was not my first visit to the Winelodge but will definately be my last. The disco at the Winelodge started at 10pm and finished at 2am. It was so loud it made the floor and window vibrate. All I could hear was a constant thud for four hours. It was then followed by people shouting as they left the bar/club until 3.30am. The 1 bedroomed apartment was not well equiped. There were only 2 of everything, including plates. If I needed a roll with my meal it had to go on the same plate. There was no table or chairs so meals had to be eaten whilst on my lap. The whole place looked 'tired'. The manager (not surprisingly) doesn't work weekends so there was nobody to complain to only the bar staff. I would not recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rosie846
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here for just one night mid July. The apartment was big and fairly modern with cooker, microwave washing machine and wine cooler plus a huge TV (and another in the bedroom), But no fridge?? The bathroom showed signs of wear, had no light above the mirror and didn't have a window or extractor fan. It was dark and not very big. The bedroom also had no window so we had to stand the fan (supplied) in the hall to force a bit of air in. We booked it through a third party on-line and it only cost £45 for the night but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

This is the first review I have ever written. It was our 3rd visit and to say what a difference 2 years make is an understatement! My partner and I had booked the penthouse apartment as we had previously, as soon as you walked through the door the musky smell hits you. A little taken aback but thought we could just open the patio doors to let in fresh air.
Basically the list of things that are negative are as follows:
Stains on carpet/sofa
Filthy stained rug
Dirty fridge
Stained dirty ironing board
Wet stains in wardrobe
Decided we couldn't stay as I was thinking of buying cleaning products and sheets for the sofa! So after telling the girl downstairs that we couldn't stay n why she had offered to have the apartment cleaned. Which tbh should've been done BEFORE you have guests n some things were past being cleaned, they needed to be thrown away!
So disappointed as we had spent time there in 2010 and it was immaculate, a little noisy and not picturesque but now the apartment is obviously not been taken care of at all....very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Vanessa2410
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed in a standard room last night. £65 .... I wouldn't pay £6.50. We checked into hotel to find we were actually staying somewhere totally different than stated. (Bar&Canteen) which is a 5 minute walk away. When I said "oh ok can you direct me to that car park" they said. "No sorry we don't have additional parking for that premises, you will have to leave your car here. OUTSIDE OUR NIGHTCLUB!! Don't worry our bouncers will look after it. I was horrified, but had no choice. To make the arrival even worse we walked down to the room which was above a busy BAR !!

I shook my head and thought iv paid £65 for this ?? Really. I must have mug written across my forehead. The room is throw an alley way, then up some black metal stairs. A lovely aroma of the wheelie bins below lingered all night. Vile. There is a main door to rooms 101-104, I was shocked when this door is open. No lock, key or code needed. Anyone could walk in and have a snoop up the corridor. That didn't make me feel very safe, we finally got into the room.

I was holding my breath .... I felt let down that there wasn't even a small fan in the room. At the end of the longest heat wave since 2006 you think winelodge would have placed fans in their rooms (as the rooms are on such a budget air con isnt available)! The room was small. The double bed was against the wall therefore only one of us could get out of the bed easily. There was no curtains. Just a flimsy blind, no plug for our sink ..... I will carry on ! 1 large towel and 1 hand towel for two of us to share. Smelly pillows and no shower gel/ shampoo.

This place certainly let our visit to Oulton Broad down. My advice: spend a little bit more a check into the premier inn that's close by.

Room Tip: Don't book
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimberleigh E
Reviewed 16 June 2013

My girlfriend and I booked this for two nights, a Friday and Saturday in June. Each night I paid £40.00. On the Friday night we had a 2 bedroom suite. The bedrooms were a good size, the bed comfortable though the room was sparsely furnished with a clothes rack with just a couple of hangers. The bathroom was great as was the lounge and kitchen. All in all great value for £40.00.

On Saturday night we had a double with shared bathroom. Again the room was large and it still contained the kitchen. This room however was street facing and you can hear traffic and noise from the club / pub below. The bathroom was to be shared with 2 other rooms which I assume were vacant. This shared bathroom had peeling paint and was not to the standard of the bathroom the previous night.

Reading other reviews I would agree that some rooms would not suit light sleepers and some corridors were dusty. However I would not be as negative as some, if you like large rooms, having a kitchen you could do a lot worse. I'm not sure I would pay their normal standard rate but the late deal I got was worth it.

On Saturday night we went to the pub below for steak night and the food was good and great value.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper don't get street facing room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

On Arrival we were checked in and given the codes to our rooms Digi lock, after we found our room which was an effort in its self! somebody else was already in there!! we were very embarrassed, our friends room was a two bedroom apartment so we were given a refund and joined them.

The Apartment was huge but sparsely furnished and NOTHING like the photos! The facilities were very basic But considering we had only paid £40 on late rooms wasn't bad value for money. As other reviews state the general state of the place shows that there is no ongoing maintenance in the rooms, public spaces or the bar. The rooms were far from clean and the bedding was in a poor state of repair.

We went into the bar for a drink and was greeted with an overwhelming smell of damp and a carpet that was mostly chewing gum! we had a drink and after listening to the bar staff complaining about their job and swearing at each other we went over the road to The Wherry for a meal which was very nice.

The lady that dealt with our complaint regarding the room was very nice and rectified our complaint promptly by giving a refund. However the manager or owner of this establishment needs to address the appalling standards of service and cleanliness of the rooms and bar.

we would not recommend this hotel or bar to anybody.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends