“excellant lunch”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Lowestoft
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“excellant lunch”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Hatfield is absolutely fantastic. The food is gorgeous no matter what you choose. The presentation is great. All the staff are polite, cheerful and always happy to help. The restaurant and the terrace are a pleasure to dine in, you can look across the road at the sea and imagine you are anywhere in the world!!!
I would recommend the hotel to anyone and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Whilst stopping in the area we made two visits to Lowestoft -once with friends and then just we two. On each occasion we called into the Hatfield for lunch. First we enjoyed our meal outside in the sunshine on the terrace when we had to have fish and chips -these were very good - we then moved into 'easy chairs' for coffee. We are very fussy about our coffee and they listened very patiently to our 'guidelines' and the coffee was really good!! At all times the staff were pleasant and attentive (sufficient in number too - it was quite busy!!).We all enjoyed our meal there. We returned as a couple a few days later - the weather greatly changed -cool and cloudy - so we ate in the dining room. This time we took advantage of the Carvery very good value at only £4.95 each!! A good choice of vegetables and generous portions of meat too!! Again staff very pleasant and effective. Another pleasant meal (sitting overlooking a 'grey' sea. (My wife says to mention also that the loos were good too!!).

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently visited Lowestoft to meet up with family I hadn't seen in sometime, on the first day my family took me to The Hatfield Hotel for lunch I must say I was very impressed by the staff/management who are working here, very helpful and very well presented. The general manager seemed very helpful and seemed to look after his staff with the highest priority. The food was delicious no faults whatsoever!

I would personally like to thank all the staff and management for a wonderful experience while staying in Lowestoft, you have made your establishment a regular place for me to go in a town I don't even live in that deserves some congratulations in my eyes.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Fakenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A comfy room and friendly staff spoiled by an inadequate breakfast. A full English breakfast consists of; 1 rasher, 1 small sausage, 1 hash brown, an egg, a slice of black pudding, half a mushroom and half a tomato!

Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

In May we stayed at the Hatfield for two nights as a birthday treat. We had a big double room with an absolutely fabulous sea view so much so we were reluctant to close the blinds when we went to sleep!!! I woke at 5am to see the amazing sunrise and was impressed to see two people swimming in the sea, I didn't join them however!!! The hotel is very laid back and although we were pleased with our stay and the food it just lacked that finesse and attention to detail in the restaurant, in our opinion they were very short staffed, only one girl on duty for breakfast. The position of the hotel is great and we felt at £95 for sea view room with b & b it was good value for money. We also had brilliant weather which of course made the break - I would go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a full sea view, you won't be disappointed, the room isn't plush, quite basic but, d...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rozzie S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We decided last minute to take a break for a couple of nights and the thursday booked the Hatfield Hotel Executive Double - charge £95 per night including breakfast. We arrived at the hotel around 9.30pm and found they did not have out booking, fortunately we had printed it off. She only had a suite on offer or a double seafront room. We had a look at both. We took the suite - the famous Ryan Suite which you will see mentioned by another person. The problem was easily dealt with however and i actually loved the room but thats because we got it for £190.00 for the two nights. Its old and 30's style, in desperate need of modernisation but its a great big room with a four poster bed and lots of space. Great views as well.

Bar - we found the bars to be perfectly fine, In fact we love love loved the terrace area which is the only one on offer along the stretch of beach. We had great weather so benefited from it enormously. - nice live singing on the Saturday night, not many in attendance which was a shame but we had been out for the evening and coming back it was nice to have a nightcap to it.
Breakfast - really is not very good. quite poor service (normally girl on her own), food not up to much and limited buffet choice. Ive had much better in less expensive hotels. Main food daytime - we didn't eat during lunch or dinner but they do a carvery for about £5.99 at lunchtimes and it was packed. I saw a couple of diners eating and it looked quite yummy. Cant comment though really as we didn't try.
Staff - found them all really friendly.
Position - the hotel itself is right on the seafront and perfect for going to the beach or if you want to go into the very small town. Not much in that part of Lowestoft though but im sure loads to do if you wanted to jump in car. We also found it a very old town as in very old people inhabit it. LOL
Problems - The final bill was presented when we left and a number of items were on it that we did not recognise. They kept us waiting for over half an hour to find receipts that were missing.. unfortunately, i nipped to the loo and when i came back hubby had settled the bill... WITHOUT SIGNED RECEIPTS FOR ABOUT 30 ODD QUID... he doesn't like hassle but i would not have paid it if i was presented with them without signatures so check your bill carefully when you leave. This system clearly needs updating because they lose dockets. The fact we had to stand around waiting was also a bit of a downer on what was a nice little break.

That was it though... nice little break, Go for sea view if you book. :-)

1 Thank dannyandmichele
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We paid £95 a night so expected a good hotel in Lowestoft. The room was Ok & a good shower too. Lovely & clean with a sea view, TV worked fine.Went for breakfast, no water, loose sugar for cereals or glasses for juice, we had to ask for those! It came,looked like a smiley face with all the empty spaces, the sausage my husband had was about 2 inches long.I asked for low fat spread instead of butter & artificial sweetener instead of sugar as I am diabetic. I was told they didn't have those, I couldn't believe it as even little cafes have those options! The next morning we knew what to expect, OK.We thought we would have our lunch there a club sandwich each at £5.95 but, if we put it on our room bill we would get 10% off so that's what I did. We had a drink in the bar thought it would be nice to sit there & eat. After finishing my drink 40 mins later went to ask where my sandwiches were. Total confusion behind the bar, having trouble with the till etc.I was not amused by this time, fortunately the manageress & another chap were there by this time & I let my feelings be known about my lack of lunch & their lack of healthy eating options at breakfast.So had it knocked off our bill & ate at Howards cafe over the road!

Room Tip: Sea view at the front
1 Thank AnneBall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
Britten House
Britten House
#3 of 28 in Lowestoft
Pontins Pakefield Holiday Park

Been to Best Western The Hotel Hatfield? Share your experiences!