“Mixed Feelings”
Review of Parkhill

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lowestoft
Parkhill
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Lowestoft
eastbourne
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed here for a wedding. Our first reaction was awful, musty smell, old tired, reception area in wrong place. (I should have known this as the web site is dire and in need of a make over!)

We had travelled along way and just wanted to relax drink in bar and a meal in the restaurant. But were told that the restaurant was not open and only bar food was available!!! I did look at menu and it was just that.... pub food. I was extremely put out that a restaurant could be closed, the reason given was they were doing something in the kitchen (which I assume was to do with the other party that was taking place in the Marquee the following evening).

The room on first looking was also awful wall paper coming off wall, tiles in bathroom coming away. Wires hanging from tv, just old and tatty. I never take a hairdryer as I expect in a hotel of this standard – to have one. But no there wasn’t. But we were provided one at reception straight away.

Would we stay there again? No. We came to the conclusion that the owners concentrate on the wedding events there which was a choice of Marquee and a beautiful barn. So actually if you are going to a wedding you would obviously would rather stay there, so they dont have to really make the place look great as they know you will stay there!!

Positives well the cooked breakfast was great and the scrambled egg was great. But I did expect some fruit and yogurts on the side. I asked for a croissant and it came heated and pretty awful.

It just needs bringing into the 21st century and it would be a fantastic place to stay as a short break, as the grounds are fantastic and the Barn was lovely for a small wedding.

Needs the hotel inspector!!

Such a shame as the owner was pleasant enough.

The whole thing was just a little unprofesional.

Room Tip: After talking to others I think they are all the same!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Witham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had a spacious room with a comfortable bed and two very comfortable armchairs. We have stayed at 'modern' hotels on our last few breaks but Parkhill reminded us what hotel service should be like. The food was superb with the best steak we have ever tasted (and believe me we have had a few).
Breakfast again was great, so many hotels go for this serve yourself system, Parkhill didn't so the food and beverage piping hot.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andar61
London
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel last week and have to say it made me ill staying there!! I checked in very late and asked the 1 and only member of staff they had if the heating in my room was working she told me I could adjust it by turning the knob on the radiator. This was obvioulsy not the case the room was felt like a freezer. My nose started running as I was shivering under the thin duvet. I put on more layers of clothing but never managed to warm up.
I eventually found an emergency contact number and managed to get someone to come over with a electric heater. It was obvious and very annoying thta the heating in that room has never been on. The room also had a stale musky smell and was quite dirty. The bathroom is in need of reburbishment. I would never stay here again nor recommend

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Jay B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed here a few weeks ago with my friend.Couldnt fault the place at all, location was great, hotel suroundings where beautiful and the staff where very friendly and always happy to help. Hotel is old yes, but i think it gives it character compared to the premier inns i usualy stay in.
Food was excellet and lots of beaches near by for days trips.
I had a fantastic time and i would happily stay here again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank holly543
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

i spent two two nights at parkhill,and i found it very good value for the money,all the staff were helpfull and friendly, will go back if in the area,thank you peter

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I stayed here on a recent business trip after a randomn decision to follow the road signs to this place rather than stay in a predictable premier inn - randomn is certainly what I got!

The service was excellent & staff were friendly, helpful & happy to help - I changed my first room as I wanted a bathroom with a shower. I stayed in a family room & had an evening meal in the bar. Food was ok - room was ... odd! The ensuite was installed underneath a staircase so the sloping ceiling made it feel really claustrophobic. Some of the light fittings are ripped / half melted & the stained ironing board should be replaced. Otherwise the room was generally clean.

Could be a really great place if the rooms were upgraded to the 21st century.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2010

I was suggested to stay here by a friend's recommendation (did not see these reviews before) and I really enjoyed my stay. Staying somewhere with staff who talk to you and make you feel 'at home' as well as a bedrooms which show the hotel's character is a good thing for me - I dont know what smell everyone is talking about!! Grounds are beautiful and the whole atmosphere is better than you would get in a travel inn. For those who want something different this hotel is great.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank TotalTraveller101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
#6 of 9 in Lowestoft
Waveney Inn
Waveney Inn
#1 of 1 in Burgh St Peter

Been to Parkhill? Share your experiences!