“Recent stay”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Lowestoft
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Recent stay”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Stayed here recently on business. What can you say, very good. Friendly staff, very helpful. Surroundings are brilliant. Stayed in a garden view room, lovely. The Crooked Barn restaurant is very good, food excellent and the staff couldn't do enough for you. Booked to stay here again at the end of the month. The stroll into Oulton Broad around the broad on a nice sunny evening was exceptional, took around 15-20 mins on the path accessed from the hotel gardens.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Set by the side of Oulton Broad, the location of this hotel is fantastic - and there is a walk from the hotel by the Broad which was a bonus! If you want to go out for the evening, however, you will need the car (or Taxi)
The food in the Restaurant was superb, although on a week's stay I would have appreciated a choice of 'lighter' or bar meals on some evenings - but that is purely a personal choice. With the menu changing everyday, you would not get bored with the full menu every night.
Rooms are well appointed, not luxurious or 'boutique' but mine was large and kept scrupulously clean, with toileteries, coffee etc kept topped up when used. Staff were friendly - but not over-so - and very helpful with advice.
As a solo traveller, I obviously get hit with a 'single occupancy' supplement - and think I would have thought the hotel expensive - if I had not been able to take advantage of an offer price through a newspaper. That said, I am not aware of anything better in the area in such a lovely location and I felt very comfortable as a single (female) guest.
The wi-fi is still 'iffy', usually only available in the small lounge - but that was only a minor irritation and I suppose the price you have to pay to get off the beaten track.
I will definately stay again when in the area

Room Tip: Standard rooms on the Broad side (rather than the Courtyard) give you the 'big skies' view!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I stayed here this weekend, needing to find a short notice hotel room for a wedding I was going to. The service I had was excellent from start to finish, over the phone, on check in (despite being late and worse for wear) and then in the morning when I left and needed to know the quickest way to the local station. My only disappointment was that I spend so little time at the hotel, had I known how pleasant it would be, I'd have made a weekend of it. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting the local area.

Room Tip: Call and speak on the phone!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Was whisked off here for a surprise night away by the other half for our wedding anniversary and what a delight.
Hidden away down a gravel drive, tucked bettwen a very average looking housing estate and the beautiful Oulten Broad is this gem of a hotel, set in beautiful gardens with a gate at the bottom leading out onto a path just next to the Broad.
Our room was large and very spacious with a huge picture window looking out over the garden, two comfy chairs, a coffee table and a desk. Our bathroom was also large with bath and separate shower (if I were being picky, that's the only thing I'd moan about, shower pressure was rubbish but fortunately there was a shower head attachment in the bath). The homemade flapjack on the hospitality tray was lovely and the bed was possibly one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in.
We ate a delicious dinner in the 'Crooked Barn' that evening, beautifully decorated with tiny white fairy lights around the beams. The food was superb - we had thai fish cakes to start, then the other half had salmon and I had the vegetarian puff pastry feta cheese tart washed down with a nice glass of wine. For pudding we both had the cheesecake with a nice glass of Orange muscat dessert wine. Service was superb and you could see why they have 2 AA rosettes.
After a morning walk we enjoyed a lovely breakfast - orange juice, fruit and cereal to start if you fancy, then a cooked to order English breakfast and lovely granary bread toast.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tinkerbell013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend last weekend and we really loved it, the hotel was in a beautiful setting and the rooms were really spacious and had everything you needed. The food was amazing and the staff were even better! Great location for exploring Suffolk, would love to stay there again, preferably as soon as possible!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We were looking for a good hotel for a business meeting in the Great Yarborough area which proved an almost impossible task. This area of Norfolk is seemingly bereft of any half decent hotels which aren't appointed to the tastes of your great aunt.
We visited the Ivy House near the southern entry to the Broads for a spot of lunch.
The restaurant in a converted barn was totally without atmosphere and with a hideous decor.
We both ordered a locally sourced Suffolk ham and pickle sandwich. And this is what I cant understand, how much more would it cost to provide a couple of big thick pieces of ham for the sandwich which was priced at £5.50. Instead we were given one thin slice between two pieces of wholegrain with the crusts cut off. It tasted fine but left you felling seen off.
The service was helpful and friendly. The free wifi was very slow and as the hotel is in a virttual black hole for vodafone reception it was also difficult to even use a dongle to get online.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank LondonAfficionado
Reviewed 16 July 2011

In my view this B&B is trying to be something it isn't. It is very good don't get me wrong however I have stayed at better and I think it is a little expensive.

The room I stayed in was large, clean and well equipped. Faults with the room were that the bathroom was slightly tired, the bed could have been larger especially given the size of the room, and the TV was far too small. The other issue with the rooms are the fact that they back onto, share the same plumbing as the rooms next door. Therefore whilst the power or heat of the shower, toilet wasn't affected the issue is you lie in bed listening to the person next door using the toilet or shower. Not ideal.

We ate in the restaurant one night, and I have to say the food was of a high standard, both in taste and quality. It was little pricey but was not over the top. The service was very good however, the service staff were wearing white gloves as if it was silver service and in my view this is very pretencious and over the top.

The staff in general were helpful and informative however this place has some strange and inflexible rules such as kicking you out of the restaurant and into a tiny room with no atmosphere for a later drink, or trying to get food or beer outside normal times. We managed but in my view for a hotel that charges £120 a night they should be more flexible.

The breakfast was good. A self service buffet for cereal and jucie and then order a full English, or one of the other options available. Again the quality was high, however it was let down a little by cold toast.

Overall in my view this is a nice little B&B that is on the expensive side, but serves great food.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jimbob317
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Wherry Hotel
#1 of 4 in Aldeburgh
The Brudenell Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
#2 of 4 in Aldeburgh

Been to Ivy House Country Hotel? Share your experiences!