“Woeful customer service”

Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Lowestoft
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I think we have finally had enough. On previous occasions Warners Gunton Hall has provided us with the following memorable experiences:

- unclean room on arrival (sanitary items still in bins and dirty bath)

- housekeeping staff clearing our room and leaving our room unsecure, prior to our allocated check out time and with our luggage still in the room!

- inaccurate descriptions of entertainment line-up in advertisements

- and only last week - Whilst attending a weekend stay, we heard a rumour that the itinerary for an October 2014 event (that we have paid a deposit for) had changed.
Thinking it strange that we had not been formally informed of this by Warners, we questioned the Gunton Hall reception staff, they denied all knowledge of any changes.
Then lo and behold next morning we all had adverts on our breakfast tables, confirming our suspicions, and advertising the changed weekend (that they claimed to know nothing about).

Note:Forget registering your complaint with their on-line email service - we have tried this twice regarding the latest fiasco, expect only a corporate automated reply message in return

The only redeeming factors for this site are: they have a great dancefloor, good sound in ballroom, overall food quality is satisfactory and their restaurant waiting staff are really hardworking.

2  Thank globe28
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear “globe 28”

May I take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of Gunton Hall that you were not informed of the entertainment change later in the year. The advertised brochure break of “Rock N Roll” is now replaced with the Tremolos and Marmalade. I understand your disappointment and maybe you might consider visiting our sister hotel Lakeside, who are hosting a “Rock N Roll festival” with Monica Madwick in July.

There are newer reviews for Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We have just got home after having a great weekend with friends at GH, 17-20 Jan 14. this follows our first visit which was in January of last year at that time we were a party of 12, this year there were 23 of us and we all had a great time, there were a couple of small issues but nothing that would put us off from returning again next January, all the staff were very good and in particular our waitress "Tammy" she was exceptional, at every meal time a constant smile and nothing was to much trouble, a credit to the team, a good people person. One down side for me was this weekend was a "Motown/Soul" theme, there were approx 100 people from a dance club there who were only dancing to the beat and not connecting to the theme ! shame but l'me sure they enjoyed it. This hotel offers a good value for money break and look forward to returning next year.

Dear “Clive N”

Thank you for lovely feedback and I am glad you had a great weekend”. I know Tammy has read your great comments about her service and she was delighted that she made a difference to your holiday experience.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We have just got back from a 5 day break and like the first time thoroughly enjoyed our stay so much so neither of us wanted to come home. We stayed in one of the new garden lodges so comfortable all mod cons, overlooking lake. Very spacious so different to the chalet we stayed in 2 yrs ago which we found unfortunately very dated and cramped but still we enjoyed our stay. I'm disabled and use a mobility scooter so the garden lodge was just right. The staff are all very friendly and couldn't do more for you. Food brill. good selection for both meat lovers and vegetarians. The chef done a great job putting together a different menu for every day. Would go to say food first class. Hope to go back at the end of the year. Our waitress Kristel was lovely keeping me topped up with drink (only water may i add im teatotal. Keep up the good work Gunton Hall.

Room Tip: recommend garden lodge ok slightly dearer but well worth it especially if you have mobility problems
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan B

Dear “jem b”

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay and I am pleased you had a “great time at Gunton Hall”. I am delighted you enjoyed staying in one of our new lodges and I will make sure Jason Howitt (chef) and Kristel receive the great feedback on service.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

visited 10 Jan 2014 challet 19 sycamore.
Been to Gunton Hall many times always first class, but things have changed.
our premier challet was in need of refurb items of funiture missing ie. dressing table stool missing,
cushions missing, drape on bed missing, rusty towell rail
Food bars running short of food had to wait for top up. roast potatoes reheated , not very nice
room service poor bed only half made, cleaning items left in challet

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear “Ken”

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay and I am pleased to share the exciting news that we start an extensive refurbishment programme of Sycamore 16-30 on Monday morning. In addition to decoration works the baths are being replaced with showers and the surrounding gardens are being beautifully landscaped. The programme will take approximately 12 weeks to complete and I would love to host a visit for you to see the improvement works and have some lunch with me. If you are interested please ring Gunton Hall on 01502 730288 to arrange a visit.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have just returned today from weekend at Gunton Hall, and felt the need to write this review to thank the staff at Gunton for a really enjoyable time. This was our second stay, our first was in August last year. We stayed in a premier chalet Hawthorn 6 and found it to be spotlessly clean, warm and really comfortable. I was slightly worried that outside no1 hawthorn which we had to pass to get to no6 the paving was a little cracked and raised, and in the dark caused me concerns with my walking stick. But I just took a little more care. The staff everywhere were welcoming, have a smile, and couldn't do enough to help us. For instance on arrival we were shown a dinning table that was a little to far away from the serving area, being disabled we would have found this rather a long journey. However this was immediately changed for us when we pointed out our concerns. The food was really nice and varied. Something for everyone. Kristal our waitress was brilliant and really looked after us. She is a credit to Warners as are all your staff. The entertainment was very good and the DJ had a brilliant rapport with everyone. We can't get up and dance ourselves but we enjoyed watching others do so, who clearly were really enjoying themselves. Made us really jealous. On arriving home we realised that we had left a toothbrush charger behind, we telephoned and your staff quickly arranged to send it to us at our home. Thank you Warners. I would recommend Gunton Hall to everyone, and I have quite high standards. Warners meets my standards and more. Also I would add to anyone who is disabled like us, You won't experience any problems at Gunton hall everything is easily accessible Well done Warners, and thank you. Excellent prices too. Such good value for money. We have booked again for August.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Viv H

Dear “Viv H”

Thank you for lovely feedback and I will make sure Kristal ,your waitress, receives some reward and recognition for the excellent service. I am glad we found your toothbrush charger and look forward to seeing you again in August.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I am a group leader and have just returned with my group of 90 + with no complaints. Believe me this is unusual.This is a holiday we have been on for the past 4 years. This year the house entertainment has improved 100%. Although none of us liked the comedien Brett Kite very much. Food was wonderful and all staff friendly and helpful which gave the whole holiday a lovely atmosphere. Lovely pool and spa and enjoyed water aerobics. Plenty to do in the day inside and out. If you can afford it the new lodges are really lovely with a separate lounge and plenty of room. If I say we have rebooked again same time next year for 100 people that should tell you how much we enjoyed it. Extra special thanks to Sue in office who made my room and table planning much easier for me

1  Thank lfcwest

Dear Mrs West

It was lovely meeting you last week and I am delighted you had “another wonderful visit”. I know Sue, our holiday sales manager, has read your lovely comments and we look forward to hosting you group again in 2015.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

The weather was wet and cold, after all it was Lowestoft but the welcome and accommodation was warm and friendly. The food was good and with plenty of variety. The whole days and nights were filled with activities and entertainment if you wanted to participate but there were also places you could be quiet. The New Years Eve Party was marvellous, except for the comic in the afternoon who was dire. We left at 1.30a.m. and the party was still in full swing! New Years day was full of entertaiment from breakfast time until very late. The panto was entertaining, the dance band terrific and the comic in the evening great. We went off to bed at 1230a.m. just as the disco was getting underway. One small grumble was that our room was not cleaned on New Years Day and there was no information that this would happen. A note in the room would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear “John B”

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay and I am pleased you had a great New Year experience. Your feedback on the lunchtime comic has been passed to our entertainment team and I am happy that you enjoyed all the rest of the live entertainment during your holiday.

Simon Haslam

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
Allseasons Hotels by Tingdene
Wherry Hotel
Wherry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oulton Broad

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village? Share your experiences!