Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Lowestoft
Midlands
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I visited Gunton Hall for the 1st time 30/5/14 for a weekend break. We were really disappointed to find that our Premier Chalet was in a depressing state of repair. Wallpaper peeling & bathroom in dire need of updating. If this was an upgrade I dread to think what the standard chalets were like. On a positive note the staff were lovely. We have visited all Warners sites but Gunton Hall has been the worst & certainly not up to Warners normal standards. We have booked 4 Warner breaks this year, 1 we had to cancel due to my husbands bad health & 1 amend for June at Cricket St Thomas due to my fathers illness (unfortunately he passed away) but Warners as a company have been marvellous. They transferred the cost to our next break & couldn't have been better.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gunton W, General Manager at Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear “Chart 50”

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor and I whilst I am happy that Warner have looked after your future booking I am upset you have not enjoyed your time at Gunton Hall.

During 2014 we have spent in excess of £500K on bedroom refurbishment and strive to improve the facilities to delight new and returning guests. I hope you will return to Gunton Hall in the near future to see the improvements planned going forward.

Simon Haslam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed in one of the 'lodges' which was excellent - which was reflected in the price - separate Bedroom/Lounge overlooking the lake.
Staff in the main were obliging enough other than a rather bored, bossy and full of himself pool attendant.
The food was as best indifferent and conservative in a noisy over full restaurant.
The real downer was the evening entertainment. Whoever is in charge of the entertainment should think harder! Apart from anything else there wasn't enough room.
One evening there was a comedian who was anything but. I thought that racial, rude, crude misogynists didn't exist anymore. We couldn't take anymore and left.
Maybe if the management tried a bit harder it would certainly work for the environment is most relaxing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear “John”

Thank you for the review on Trip Advisor and your balanced comments. I have passed your observations back to our leisure manager and will feedback the comments to the entertainment booking agents for the comedian concerned.

We welcome all guess comments so we can improve the experience and strive for excellence.

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My parents came with twenty of their friends in a car club, they booked the Premier chalets, when they arrived they were not altogether as requested when booked. My parents stayed in Sycamore no 10, my husband and I were also there, we booked the new Garden suite, it was lovely, spacious, and lovely bathroom, and loved the lounge area, i walked with my parents to help them unpack as we were there alot earlier than them, so disappointed with the quality of the chalet, it was dated, smelled of urine, she sat on the bed and cried, we went straight over to reception to complain, and asked to pay extra for a new room, but they would not help as nothing available. The break was from 16th June for a week, my mum went down with a tummy bug on the saturday and they found out when my dad asked for immodium in the shop, they said she was not allowed to come out of chalet which i think is good not to spread it, but my dad was marched out of the dining room in front of everyone and was very embarrassed, the manager could of done this discretely. We had another break booked for Hayling Island for September for the four of us, but cancelled it, upset we had to lose our deposit as this only cover sickness

Room Tip: Go for a garden lodge or a Royale room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lisa s
Dear Lisa

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent holiday at Gunton Hall and I am pleased you enjoyed your garden lodge however disappointed to read about your parent’s accommodation. We are constantly refurbishing our accommodation at Gunton Hall and take on board your comments.
I hope your mother is feeling better. With sickness and diarrhoea we have excellent management systems which help, as a duty of care, prevent other guests falling ill during their holiday.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom

Brilliant!

We had booked a 4 day break in one of the Garden Lodge rooms and decided to stay on for another 3 nights in one of the new Royale rooms.

Right across the board the staff here are so very friendly and helpful. Always a cheerful hello from cleaners, ground staff, reception, bar staff, coffee shop, entertainment and sports teams.

We had stayed in a Garden Lodge on a previous occasion and this one was great. Separate good sized lounge, lovely bathroom (shower) and a good sized bedroom. It was good to see that our suggestion from last time to add hooks on the back of the bathroom door was thought to a 'good idea'.

A lot of changes have taken place in the last year with the walled garden being given a makeover. It will be even better when the plants have matured. I believe the pond is due for attention to finish the scheme. A new decking area near the 'Village Square' proved a great location for the barbecue. New chairs in the restaurant were also welcome. New wood chip paths in the archery area should help keep feet and clothes cleaner. New limbs on the bows and aluminium arrows brought the equipment up to scratch.

Brilliant menu with its wonderful range of choices different each night. Excellent service in the restaurant too. However, my request for pancakes with bacon and maple syrup seemed to baffle the kitchen - how about adding it Warners as many of your guests will have been to the US and on cruise ships where this is a regular breakfast item? Hotcake type pancakes - not crepes that is.

The Royale room was lovely but not without its faults. Being in the old house the windows were difficult to curtain and there are gaps that let the light in which is OK in the winter but not very light proof in the mid summer. The bathroom door could also do with another lick of paint as the previous hand painted sign could still be read. However, the room was fantastic in decor and the bathroom was enormous - his and hers basins, a large shower and a bath. Reserved parking in the car park too. I am sure these rooms will be very popular especially in the winter but beware that there is no lift and they are all on the 1st floor.

All rooms are now serviced on Sundays - hooray!

The horrible voucher discount system has been abandoned for Concierge Club members and Warners have gone back to the 10% across the board discounts on all purchases. Thanks for listening Warners. I bet the poor soul who had to manually date stamp each voucher is pleased too.

The pre dinner lounge entertainment was very enjoyable but we missed the later lounge entertainment of previous visits.

The garden tour by Bowen was really good as it showed the care and attention being paid to this aspect. The site is very large and there are large numbers of flower beds that are very well designed and tended. The hanging baskets added lovely splashes of colour around the site.

Good quizes but no prizes. This is an inconsistency across the Warners' locations as some give a bottle of plonk, others a souvenir gift, or even a coffee. Of course the quizes are mainly for fun but a small prize would make it even more fun.

Other day time activities were all sporty/activity type. No fashion/beauty or art and crafts for those less mobile.

The indoor bowls hall is excellent and gave good fun for beginners as well as more experienced.

Entertainment team were great and who could ignore the infectious laugh of Helen?

We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room plan before you book and pick where you want to be.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The_Hotel_Inspec2r
Dear “Hotel Inspector”

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor and I am really pleased you enjoyed two different styles of accommodation (Garden lodges and Royale rooms) during your extended holiday.

I am delighted you have commented on the positive changes in the Walled Garden, Archery area and new BBQ patio. I am very proud of Bowen and the gardening team who have driven the improvements in all three areas of the business.

The Royale rooms I am delighted to share the news that dedicated parking bays are in place and all the little “snagging jobs” have been completed.

Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just got back from a week at Gunton Hall and could have stayed longer, it was so relaxing.Entertainment Team are great and put on really good shows and the band Crackerjax are extremely good especially Emma the singer who also does all the shows with the team, she is amazing. The food was good, Barbeque really recommended and we had some amazing service from Jo, really friendly and helpful, nothing too much trouble. The swimming pool is lovely and the walks round the lake and down to the see are great. Best thing is feeding the ducks every day outside your door ! Booked for next year already !

Room Tip: The Garden Lodges are really nice but I think most rooms are very good
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marjorie M
Dear Marjorie

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay and I am delighted you had “another great stay at Gunton Hall”

I will make sure Jo (Retail Host) and Emma (Band Singer) receive some reward and recognition for their excellent service.

Cheshire UK
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I took my mother to Gunton Hall for a 4 night midweek break at the beginning of July. The rooms are comfortable and clean and the staff really look after you. You must understand before you go that the Warner's entertainment cater for the older person. And I have to say that after the second night I began to find it somewhat tiresome But of course you don't have to spend every evening watching the entertainment. The food whilst not absolutely fantastic was good and I did enjoy my meals. Most of the guests were in their 70's but that didn't worry me. I loved that there were no children. Probably the best thing about a warner holiday is how attentive and pleasant the staff are.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Heather S
Dear Heather

Thank you for the review on Trip Advisor and it looks like you had a pleasant holiday with your mother.

We hope to see you again soon with your family .

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Yet another brilliant weekend at Gunton Hall. We came Easter weekend for 'Counterfeit Quo' who were very good. As usual the staff are wonderful, the food is excellent & the entertainment is fantastic. We stay in a standard chalet & have always found them to be very clean. The daytime entertainment is fun & the evening entertainment with the resident girls & boys is always good. They had a show about musicals which included Joseph & his amazing coat, Miss Saigon & many others very enjoyable, you would think you was on 'Broadway' Also the resident band Crackerjax is very good Emma has a very strong voice. We have already booked for October to see the Tremeloes & Marmalade (not tribute bands THE REAL THING) Really looking forward to it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joyos51
Dear Joy

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent holiday at Gunton Hall and I am pleased you enjoyed your entertainment and in particular our West End tribute show called “Curtain Up”

The entertainments team have been recently rehearsing a new show called “Piano Legends” which has its opening night on Tuesday so fingers crossed for another smash hit.

I will make sure Emma reads your lovely comments.

Simon Haslam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Ivy House Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oulton Broad
Dunston Hall
Dunston Hall
#1 of 1 in Stoke Holy Cross

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Gunton Hall Coastal Village? Share your experiences!