“Hell Hole Fawlty Towers”

Pontins Pakefield Holiday Park
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Hell Hole Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Just got back from a dirty disgusting holiday at Pointins pakefield. The chalet were smelly and uncleaned, the bathroom is about twenty years old, moldy tiles, old fashioned taps and the shower you had to keep pushing the shower button for the water to run this lasts about 5 secs so you are permanently keeping one hand on the button ( very frustrating) the bathroom smelt and was covered in dust and cobwebs, I had to sweep the place from top to bottom before I could unpack, the beds are uncomfortable as the mattresses are plastic, I noticed lots of chalets were empty and these were the newly refurbished ones, when asked to upgrade I was told they were fully booked, this was clearly untrue. The dining room was very canteen like, very noisy hectic and hot, there was no air in there and it was unbearable, one of the days the kitchen had major problems and no food was being served until later on that evening, it was absolute chaos. the food was disgusting, do not stay !!!!! this place is def a health hazard, even the entertainment lounge chairs were all covered in Stains.
The daily entertainment is diabolical especially when it rained for two days, there is nothing to do but go swimming and that is very dated. everything else you had to pay for which was getting very expensive as was trying to keep the kids entertained. Some of the staff were friendly and helpful and worked hard and some were just dame right rude. All in all a very dull boring depressing place to be.

Room Tip: Dont stay here, just awful !!!
2 Thank 848sarah111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

I've been going to pontins since I was very young and I've always loved it and I still do.it offers a wide range of good quality food which includes a breakfast and dinner meal serving around 700 people.pontins is also great for price.the entertainment is excellent.to go to pontins is about £90-£120 per Person.its not a gleaming clean hotel it's a little chalet for the money you paid for.if you think it's to dirty or something is wrong with it just dont go again:) they also have characters there that entertain people and do things with the children-teenagers and the group is named the croc crew and involves captain croc,Florence the ostrich,zena the zebra and chuckles the monkey! Images shown:)

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We booked our holiday under the impression we were going self catering but it turned out that was not the case they don't have the facilities to do self catering all you have in your accomodation is a kettle, toaster, microwave and a fridge so unless you just eat microwave food your ok but if you actually like to cook for your family then don't go to pontins the cleanliness of the chalet was not good either bed was terrible I would not recommend pontins to any one

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank BeTtYBo0p
Leighton Buzzard, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have just returned from another great week at Pakefield. If you have never tried a Pontins then please try Pakefield. It is right next to the beach, everything is near. There is loads of food and you can help yourselves to as much as you like. The Bluecoats will keep children entertained for hours.
If you prefer an adult only then choose a select week of weekend. I have been going there for the last 30 years and always enjoy myself. Me and my husband are returning in 2 weeks with our grandson, We are all looking forward to it. The deals are great value. This is not the only place I holiday but it is certainly a favourite.

Room Tip: If you have children a room in the quadrangle is good because it gives a nice enclosed space for the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rita K
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Just come back from a 4 night break at pakefield. I will start with the positives, great value for money, staff around the holiday park were helpful and polite. We went half board for our stay there was a good choice for breakfast and dinner each day and always plenty no matter what time we were eating. The pool although a little dated was reasonably clean the staff were good fun with the children. The facilities to hire on the park was good my children enjoyed the trikes and also playing tennis, although the tennis courts were looking a bit shabby. However whilst we were there work was being done to improve this. The negative for us was our apartment :-(, when we arrived on first inspection it seemed that our apartment had not been used recently as there was cobwebs and dirt in and around the bath, so we had to clean this before use. Also our shower was poor and didn't work properly, it was like an old swimming pool shower that you had to keep pressing the button in to get water but the water flow was poor and the bathroom in general wasn't vey clean. This didn't spoil our time at Pakefield and I think it offered great value for money.

2 Thank Yvonne774
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I really enjoyed my trip to Pontins Pakefield and we are going back again. I liked the staff they were very nice and always out to please. The blue coats are very nice. I have been to Butlins and the red coats there are not very engaged and dont really care about the children. But the blue coats here are really engaged with the children and seem really happy. It was not extremly clean but good enough for what I payed for. The beds were good the only thing I would say is the new bed linen policy is annoying because we were not told about it and had to pay £50 in bed linen prices. So I say bring your own bed linen. Facilities are good. There is a free games room just leave a diposit and play what you want for however long you want.
So all in all a good family holiday.

Room Tip: Dont go for a room near the club and also dont go for self catering because you dont get an oven or...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nuala G
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Me and my family stopped here at the weekend and right from the start we were made to feel welcome, the blue coats always went out the way to say hello and ask us how we are enjoying our holiday. Entertainment each night was excellent, we had Sooty and Sweep one night which our son loved and a X factor reject the next.
The rooms are clean and fresh considering how old the chalets are.
The food in the evening is very good with plenty to choose from and breakfast is eat all you can fry up buffet style or a healthy porridge.
You certainly get what you pay for if not more.

2 Thank Stuartistic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
#1 of 10 in Lowestoft
Wherry Hotel
Wherry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Oulton Broad

Been to Pontins Pakefield Holiday Park? Share your experiences!