“Loved it that much booked to stay longer”

Pontins Pakefield Holiday Park
Preston
“Loved it that much booked to stay longer”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Well firstly i think i need to say what do people expect for just over a hundred pound for me and my grandson. Half board. The staff are to assist your enjoyment not look after you or your children 24 hours a day. Although it often appears thats what they do. The Bluecoats are so hard working all of the time evan if they are off duty. Robert gives 100 per cent all of the time and never stops you can tell the park. Pontins and guests are very important to him. All i can say is we have had a fantastic time lots of fun and laughter and never a dull minute. The only negitive thing i have to say is about a very rude guest who felt the whole of pontins should at her beck and call. Making unrealistic demands who we had the sufferance of sitting next to at Breakfast. Well done pontins a big hit for us see you very soon. A select break next i think adults only.

4 Thank Dinky1212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Having read reviews on here was feeling apprehensive about our break. However having purchased a Groupon voucher for this half board break I felt my daughter and i had superb value for money out of our stay. Yes the apartments bathroom needs updating and cleaners need to pay attention to clean to edges of room (dusty) but we used this just for sleeping and were satisfied. We were situated in the middle of a block with a large green outside where children mingled and adults chatted in the sun on benches. We could see the sea from our apartment.
The food is served as a buffet and there is ample choice from salad bar, soup,baked potatoes, fish, meat and even a roast on Sunday, followed by cakes and a hot choice pudding and yes the chocolate cake was very popular for evening meals. Breakfast consisted of cereals, porridge, fruit, yoghurt ,fruit juice, toast, jam, bacon, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread, baked beans, sauté potatoes. Tea and coffee and squash available. The food was very nice and staff very friendly. As a guest I took my own empty plates up to cleaning stations which I do think guests should be encouraged to do as at times staff spent long times clearing tables and wiping them down and there was a back log of dirty tables.
The entertainment was excellent x factor group, illusionist act and a fantastic bluecoat show, good enough to be on west end stage. Although i did think Bingo was very long winded and childrens entertainment could be shortened so adult shows not on so late.
Short walk to a huge beach down a path.
Free activities on site were swimming,crazy golf,table tennis,tennis,snooker,darts all for deposit of your key. There is a pitch and putt but this is in the process of being revamped as is many things at Pakefield. Please bear this in mind but it is well worth a cheap half board break.
All in all a fantastic value for money break and one I shall be taking again even without a voucher.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank steph G
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Just returned from a three night stay half board with my daughter partner and two grandchildren age 9 and 16.
I can honestly say after reading the reviews I was wondering what I had let myself in for, however I was quite surprised chalets not fantastic but are just as good as the Standard ones at Butlins. If you have children up to the age of 12 it is great for them Bluecoats always doing somethink with them all day long Entertaiment good food excellent(only one snipe not enough staff to clear away tables)
Drinks very reasonable plenty of outdoor activities for the kids

All in all I was quite impressed and especially as we only paid app £230 for 3 adults 1 teenager and one child I can honestly say we certainly had value for our money. And we will be back

Well done Pontins

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lizw0
east anglia
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a lovely wkend break at pontins pakefield chalet was a club one and very nice. We were half board and food in the restaurant was brilliant with plenty of nice choices of dishes. Entertainment was good and all in all me and my family had a lovely wkend staff were friendly and i would recomend this park for a good value for money break we even got a free bottle of wine and daily newspapers in the deal couldnt ask for more well done

1 Thank h0lidaymad1
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed Fri-Mon great for a quiet cheap getaway. Never saw a Blue coat, no atmosphere, food only just edible, the children's play room had a butler sink as a washing facility. Not one hand sanitizer in the whole park, no information about mealtimes but I agree with a previous review that it is good value for money and you get fed twice a day, a very quiet, laid back, chilled camp , which is exactly what we wanted. Its what you make it. And it has The best childs play park EVER!
We would go again. For £160 for three people HB cant complain.

1 Thank 19tinkerbelle73
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Was nervous as I've never been to any 'holiday park/camps' before but booked it cheap through Groupon, thinking I'd just leave if it was too dire! I was expecting to use the site to sleep, and drive to local beaches etc, but actually didn't need my car at all, as the site is right on the beach. It's an absolutely gorgeous spot- a little path down to the beach, and then you can walk for miles, to Lowestoft one way, and Kessingland the other. The beach is mainly pebbles, but there are stretches of sand all along it, and some gorgeous sandy areas with reeds to sit and soak up the sun. Although the days were sunny and hot, the beach was really quiet.

The chalet was fine- very little floor space as they bed took the whole room, but clean and up to date. There was a microwave, kettle and tiny fridge. The bathroom had a small bath with a push button shower- again, clean and fit for purpose. No charge for electricity (unlike other places I've seen!) and simple enough to take your own sheets. It does get hot (they're all ground floor, so I didn't feel safe leaving the window open at night) so you might want to take a fan.

I had half board, so used the canteen. Lovely views overlooking the grounds and the sea. The food itself is 'school' style- mass produced and very stodgy, with little variation. I wouldn't pay for it, but since it was included I found something I could eat. The kitchen staff work hard to clear all the plates and trays. There's a handy little Nisa on site, and they haven't bumped up the prices. There's also a large Morrisons a few minutes drive away. If you go to Kessingland, the Sweet Retreat tearooms is lovely- toasted sandwiches, hot drinks and delicious cakes.

The grounds are nicely maintained, with benches and tables dotted around. I didn't use any of the other facilities (would have liked to use the pool, but no lanes and full of children) so can't comment.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank E T
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and we really enjoyed it.
First of all, the only fault we had with the rooms was that there was a few little cobwebs but that didn't bother me.
The entertainment in the evening is brilliant, and there is always a range of shows for everyone to enjoy! I applaud the Bluecoats because i never saw one of them without a smile on their face, they put 100% into everything that they do and they make Pontins pakefield a happy atmosphere! On one of their days off, one of the bluecoats was still on stage doing the party dances when he had his family over to visit. They're all really nice people!
The daytime entertainment is great too, it was rainy one day we were there and cricket was planned so it couldnt go ahead, instead of just leaving it the Bluecoat team put on and indoor show in it's place last minute in the cabaret lounge to give the kids something to do and they even joined in with the games- one of them being a sack race and the sacks only went up to the bluecoats knees. They make lots of laughs and make everyone smile whatever they do because they come over to talk to people, they always have time to stop and talk if they're stopped and they definitely earn their money. In fact i honestly think they deserve more because even on his day off one of the bluecoats was interacting with children and even giving out advice on how to play guitar off his own accord. Always willing to help and they are great people
As well as the bluecoats, the kitchen staff and everyone else that works at Pontins Pakefield are friendly and helpful.
Location is perfect! the complex backs onto the beach and the scenery around the area is pretty. The beach isn't very small either so there is lots of room for children to play.

The play areas- there is one that needs weeding etc, but there is also a brand new one not far away with is spotless. Even if the weeds aren't anywhere near the frame where children will be playing, theyre around the sides. As we were leaving that looked like it was being sorted out anyway.
There is a mini golf course which is clean and fun, music plays out of speakers around it which adds to the parks theme.
GoKarts and family bikes are available to hire to ride round the site at a low price which is another thing to do (they're quite a bit of fun)

The food is good, there is always a selection of things to chose from including salads, jacket potatoes, cakes, puddings and hot food. Not much time at all to wait in a small queue to get the food and boat shaped tables in the restaurant makes it fun for the children

Overall i think Pontins Pakefield is very good, i really don't understand the bad comments because i didn't find anything wrong with it. If you want something better you'll need to pay more, although this holiday was alright for me.
Really fantastic atmosphere around the complex and i praise the bluecoats greatly, they made our holiday worth while.

We were there- 29th July- 2nd August

Room Tip: The chalets are probably the quietest rooms.