“Not what I expected!!”

Pontins Pakefield Holiday Park
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I'd read the reviews after booking 3 nights half board for myself and my partner, and even he seemed worried before arriving too. Well, talk about unfounded! We arrived on the Friday, about 4 ish and queued for a couple of mlnutes and got the keys straight away. Found our chalet and walked in, to be pleasantly surprised by the room. Yes it is small, double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, small kitchen area and large toilet/shower room and tv. However, it was spotlessly clean. The kitchen white goods looked almost brand new. The shower was hot and powerful. We then walked up to get our evening meal. Yes there was a queue to get food, but it was August bank holiday weekend, I didn't expect anything less, and as my partner said, when you walk into a restaurant, you expect a wait for food when you order it. So what's the difference? The food was constantly being replenished, and the tables were always being cleared of dirty plates etc, so there were always tables available for new diners. After our meal, we went into the main entertainment hall and played bingo and watched all the evenings entertainment. We really enjoyed ourselves. The ents team try to keep things going as much as possible, involving the children and adults. We also went into the amusement arcades, where I had my one small criticism. A lot of the machines are ticket prizes only. I know it's easy money, but I like to win cash and not 1000's of tickets to exchange for a pen! Anyway, there were plenty of other machines scattered around the park, so we were happy with those. We stayed for the while weekend, Friday to Monday and we only paid £120 for both of us, so it was a real bargain. We both agreed that we had a good time and that the food and entertainment was worth enjoying. We will most certainly be going back and I will recommend to my friends and family too. Thanks Pakefield team for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Tobytots69
Write a ReviewReviews (1,535)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We spent 2 nights at pakefeild and found it fantastic for the money. The chalet was basic but very clean and well equipped with fridge microwave and full cooker and plates cups etc. Beds fine pillows and quilts provided just bring your own covers and own towels.

The food was OK but for the money its good. The park is in a lovely setting right on the coast with a lovely beach. Great playground for kids tennis golf football indoor pool with slide and toddler pool you can hire bikes so plently to do. Theres a choice of bars the seaveiw bar lovely and quiet and yes it does have sea views.

All in all could not fault it and I have travelled 5 star all over the world so I could be a snob but if you just want a bargin break which offers you more than you can imagine for the money give it a go if you have kids they will love it and we will be going back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have been to pontins before so know what to expect. This time it was an adult time away so four of us, two apartments.
Cheap and somewhere to sleep for £100 each couple for two nights breakfast and dinner included so great for the money.

But where do I start!.. I need to start with the food first.. (The worst) :-// I'm no snob and eat plenty of rubbish food like burger and chips but this took the mick!
The chips tasted like the oven needs a good clean! They had an awful twang to them..I had pie Friday night and the meat reminded me of cat food and tasted like the smell of it.. There was burnt scampi and rotten veg...
The salad bar and new potatoes.. I got offered children's popcorn chicken and said 'no thanks' .. My friend got one popcorn chicken just to see and they was not even white on the inside they were brown! Awful..
The breakfast is not nice either.. Burnt sausages, rubbery bacon and hash browns that taste just like the chips! I lived on toast.

The juice bar is the most weirdest tasting orange juice .. Really not nice but the only drink available with dinner!
But worst bit of all has got to be the staff in there.. They walk around with a water bottle but it must be neat bleach inside as when they spray it to clean the tables you taste it while you are eating! Rotten! And they wipe all the chairs too so when you sit down in something black it may turn orange!

The queen Vic pub.. Could hardly call this a pub more like a waiting to die club! Furniture falling apart.. No music not even background.. Cold and uninviting, empty and the drinks are minimal. If it wasn't for Martin the friendly bar man and the pool tables we wouldn't have gone in.

The entertainment bar isn't to bad.. Cheap and not a bad size. Martin one of the barman is friendly, helpful, and tried his best to sort a decent cocktail out as the list they have only includes monster energy drinks!.. Whoever made that up hasn't a clue about drinks!

The sea view and trail to the beach is nice, I have children and the parks looked great and would have provided fun for mine. Reception desk are helpful and guided us to places to go on the norfolk broads.

The apartment was pretty shabby, the bedding you have to purchase from the shop.. DONT it's awful you slip and slide everywhere like putting a shower curtain over you at night! Take your own. The beds are dreadfully uncomfortable too.

The place in general needs updating and cleaners cleaning the whole park including the toilets! Daily.

Overall we won't be returning, we would suffer most of it for a cheap break but the food desperately needs sorting we don't remember it being that bad two years ago!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Natalie27x
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our booking was made through lastminute.com and the confirmation said we could book in at 2 - not to be as when we arrived at 2:45 was told that we had to queue in the cabaret lounge at 4. No mattress protectors (we went out to purchase some). The mattresses were the cheapest ones you could get. The bedding was not in our chalet so had to trek back to the reception for more. We were told that there would be a bedroom with bunks and then a sofa bed in the main area - there was only the one room. There wasn't even a bar of soap in the bathroom.

Now for the food... we were half board and although the food was not too bad and there was a choice the queuing was horrendous even though we were not there when the restaurant opened (I use the term restaurant very loosely). last nights evening meal there was a choice of belly pork ( the server very kindly squeezed as much fat out as he could), white fish which was what we had and was quite tasty and for the children Chicken nuggets or fish fingers. If you're a vegetarian then all you would get is vegetables.

The bar drinks were cheap - happy hour is until 7pm and we had a pint of tetleys and a pint of lager for 4.40 this went upto £5.70 after 7 so still not a bad price. We didn't make the most of the entertainment as we had 2 toddlers and they needed their bed by 8pm.

Would I go again - not a chance but I am quite a snob and for a family break I think it does offer some value for money and a reasonable holiday

Room Tip: you get what you're allocated
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JaneDudley
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Wifey wanted a day at the seaside, mmmmm, bank holiday weekend, coast, could be busy on the roads. So checked the interweb and found a cracking deal for one night at Pontins, Pakefield. Fancy it? Why not? Booked! Set of in the a.m, went to Oulton Broad, quiet, nice, brunch. Plot up at Pontins and hour before check in (check in 16:00), drink in the bar, watched mums and dads fussing with bin bags and assorted Blue Peter cast offs making fancy dress for their offspring. Laughed. Checked in. Room 110, double bed, duvet, pillows, bunk beds, mini kitchen, fridge, kettle, bathroom. Clean and tidy if a little dated. All good. Oh, hang on, no sheets or towels. Towels. no prob's got our own. Visit reception, "No bedding, sorry Sir, have this complementary bedding set, you keep it and when (if!) you visit again bring it with you". Ta very much. Sorted. Laughed. Nylon bedding in place, unpacked. Explore. New bar, Sea View, very nice. Dinner (included), Lots of well cooked food, good choice of salad etc. Problem, you have to be a huge fan of queuing! Other than that, fine. Never ceases to amaze me how greedy and wasteful some folk are, but each to their own. Laughed again.
Chalet, changed, Entertainment. Went to the main hall and caught the tail end of the bingo. Place was nearly at capacity! Some fun and games, then the most average illusionist (Amethyst!) kept the kiddies amused. Bar prices on a par with our local hostelries.Laughed again.
Slept really well, good bed, quiet surroundings.
Sunday morning, couldn't be faffed queuing for brekkies (included), so coffee and cereal. Checked out, smiling.
The cause of the merriment? One night's accommodation, free bedding, two evening meals, entertainment, two breakfasts for £46. Ta very much, we'll go again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tonyjulie22
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 4 night mon-fri break as a group of 2 adults, a 5 year old and an 18 month old and would like to say that some of these reviews are very harsh. We arrived at the camp around 4:30 and was checked in straight away. We then made our way to our chalet and was pleasantly surprised as it appeared we had been "upgraded" to a club chalet. Yes they are very basic but were clean and tidy. We had a double bed in the main area which also had a small kitchenette, microwave and fridge. The kids bedroom had bunk beds and the bathroom was adequate with a push button shower. Our bed was a bit squeaky but comfortable enough. We did have a small problem with flying ants but we were really impressed with how quickly the staff came to deal with it and we were also given a complimentary bottle of wine for our trouble (bonus). If you pay money to go away for the week to sit in your room then this is not the place for you but as we only used it to sleep and get ready then its totally fine.

The camp in general could do with a lick of paint here and there but not at all as run down as some reviewers have made out. The arcade was good with the right mix of machines and the crazy golf was good for free. The shop is a bit chaotic but had everything you needed. The children's parks were excellent and well maintained. The evening entertainment was really good especially ricky k (from bgt) and usually went bingo, , kids dancing, caberet and disco. One thing that would of been nice wouldve been to have the croc crew out and about more during the evenings and around the park during the week. My children saw them once on the first night and that was it.

Now comes to the food situation. Breakfast consisted of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, porridge and a full English. Dinner was different choice of mains (the gammon night and bbq pork were particularly good) with sides of chips potatoes and a vegetable dish. There was also a different soup each night and a nice salad bar if you didnt fancy chips! No one has paid top dollar for this holiday so please dont expect caviar and smoke salmon but overall the food was good. The only thing that let's it down is the queues but I totally believe that this is down to understaffing. Also if you go a bit later on and not before or as soon as the doors open then the queues are not that bad!

The camp is ideally situated to explore the surrounding areas ie pleasurewood hills, Lowestoft, great Yarmouth and Africa alive and only a short walk from a beautiful beach.

We had an excellent time and more importantly the kids loved it. Please dont expect the camp to be a 5* paradise but take it for what it is...a good value family uk holiday park.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank patten51
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The apartment was poor...the mattress was lumpy and uncomfortable, windows didn't close properly and heating didn't work. The bathroom was grim, no toilet roll, beds not made and no fitted sheets? Found a condom and sanitary towel near my apartment. Inflatables were growing mould. For the evening meal you only had a choice of chips, new potatoes and sweetcorn as a side for your mains the whole 4 days we were there. Not a lot of entertainment for my kids (aged 2 and 5) for the daytime . Only went to 2 shows at night as they started so late. I found there was nothing for kids to do before 10am and between 3 and 7pm...so Just went to the park, or had to pay extra to use the trampolines and go karts. Oh and we only went to the pool once as there was nothing to do there and wasn't very big for the amount if people there! The skull island ran over lunchtime when kids are eating. In the evening we had to queue from 5.15 to get a table at night to eat....by the time we got our food it was near 6! Just wasn't great service! The idea of entertainment for little kids was making pirate maps....which I could have done in the apartment. I never saw the icecream hut open once! And was suppose to open between 11-3 daily. Stock not replenished in the shop, was told by staff to come back for toilet roll as they had none. We paid £5 for a go kart that squeaked round the whole park...It was obviously old! Oh and at other holiday parks there are lots of opportunities to see the characters....here my son met the "crok crew" once! There was no set activities to meet them again! And they never walked around the park!....One of the characters was 30 mins later than schedule to meet the kids!....timing there was awful....just looked like they were short staffed the whole time. The only good part of the holiday was the wrestling and count duckula theatre show which the park obviously hire in...shame that everything else about pontins pakefield was a disappointment. I can categorically say that me and my family will not be returning to this park again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank lollypop1988
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lowestoft
Travelodge Lowestoft Hotel
#1 of 4 in Gorleston-on-Sea
Ivy House Country Hotel
Ivy House Country Hotel
#1 of 10 in Lowestoft

Been to Pontins Pakefield Holiday Park? Share your experiences!