“Well Yes, But...”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Well Yes, But...”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times before and always found it to be an enjoyable experience.
This time I more or less had to go for a special birthday for a friend. I had had a stomach upset all day and did not feel a highly spiced curry would do me any good so I ordered an omlette and chips. It was either that or friec chicken and chips. The omlette was rubbery and had obviously been cooked before all the curries were cooked, then kept warm (not HOT). Similarly the french fries and 25 peas. I know it is an Indian restaurant but feel that a proper omlette should be within their capabilities.
To be fair everybody else thoroughly enjoyed their kormas, madras etc.
In summary Indian - good anything else - give it a miss

• Visited November 2012

Lowestoft
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waste of time”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I have eaten here before on a couple of occasions and it has been ok but not my first choice. On this occasion we did not even eat our main meal, we arrived and were seated and ordered after a short while. We had our popadoms promptly but then waited over an hour and a half , during this time the few staff were out of there depth looking after a busy restaurant so we left.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank James M
suffolk
“Avarage”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I was still hungry when i left if was a bit of a disapointment and quite expesive I thought although a good out look over the broads.

Visited January 2012
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good food and great service!”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Upon my Dad's recommendation we decided to visit the Balti Raj in Oulton Broad one evening for a Birthday celebration.

The restaurant itself is very nicely situated, near the broads and hosts lovely river views. You have to climb a set of stairs to enter into the actually eatery, which is spacious and has a nice atmosphere about it. The decor however is a little to be desired, it's not offensive, just a little outdated and perhaps worn down. Having said that it certainly didn't effect our evening!

The service was prompt and the drinks orders taken straight away along with our order of poppadoms. Soon after we received our starters and mains without too much of a delay between each course.

The food was piping hot, fresh and tasted good. The portion sizes were very generous and we ordered way too much but thats our fault not theirs!

The service was excellent, we were left alone to enjoy our food in peace, however the staff were attentive when we needed them.

All in all, one of the best Indian's I have visited! Would recommend.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank DevilsChild23
“Great food Great food”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I moved to Lowestoft 2 years ago from London and my first task was to find the best Indian Resteraunt in the area. Ive tried every curry house in Lowestoft but the Balti Raj came out on top. The views over the Broads is superb. The food in my opinion is outstanding and being a curry connoisseur i know good food when i taste it. You can taste the spices they put in , unlike some where all you can taste is the chilli. The meat used is good ,no fat on the lamb, and good quality chicken.
The service is great with helpfull waiters. The waiting time for your food is longer than others but in my opinion you know the food is cooked fresh and properly and id rather wait a bit longer for a good curry.
If you like Curry and havent tried the Balti Raj you must try it.
Dave (Green Chicken Masala)

• Visited September 2012