“Too good to eat...”
Review of Hammer and Pincers

Hammer and Pincers
Ranked #1 of 257 Restaurants in Loughborough
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Too good to eat...”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Went here for a post graduation celebration meal with my family. Service was very friendly and just the right level of attentive. There was a lovely selection of gin cocktails, which as I love gin suited me perfectly, although I did find the Apple Collins a bit too strong for my liking. My Dad had the berry one which was delicious, and my mum the Strawberry and Basil Daiquiri which were both much more drinkable. Food wise, everything that came to our table and that went past looked incredible, cannot fault the presentation. I had the scallops to start which were lovely, and the Hake for main which again was very pleasant although I can't say the flavours blew me away. I wouldn't go so far as to say bland at all, but maybe I just had higher expectations. It was one of those, there was nothing wrong with it, but it wasn't spectacular. For desert I shared the sharing platter after much deliberating over having a whole chocolate fondant to myself, I was very pleased with my decision as this was my favourite part of the meal! Again, it looked divine when it came and unlike the other dishes it also lived up to the high expectations built upon its appearance!! Everything was simply delicious, and if I had to choose a pudding out of all of them I would actually go for the strawberry and basil combination as it was incredible, even my chocolate loving brother agreed this was his favourite! To summarise a very pleasant meal, but wasn't blown away.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Usually a treat”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Have had great and not-so-great-but-still-good-experiences at the Hammer & Pincers.

When the owners are in-house, the food is great and the service is good; when they aren't - the food can be less than its usual standard and the service slips for sure.

It's a simply decorated restaurant - but as it can be quite quiet it can lack atmosphere. The bar area isn't terribly comfortable while you wait for your table - particularly if you're in a larger group or a couple, as it's very much set up for just two waiting parties of four! The bar is quite poorly stocked - in my opinion at least. No ciders for instance; but a fair range of other drinks - spirits and ales. But here rum is bacardi (which isn't a rum most people enjoy out of their teens!)

It's a pricey restaurant for the portion size - which I think is Latin for 'trendy'. The food is usually very good and very tasty (when the bosses are about), but portions can seem a bit mean. I'm not a meat and two veg kinda guy by any means. I love highly decorative foods in a light size portions - but have previously been here with a party of four and ordered veg for four, but left a bit aghast when we got one single-portion-sized-lasagne dish of overdone veg to share between us all. It was certainly priced as if it was veg for four people, I recall.

We've had far more success with the 'taster/early bird' menu. It's a fixed menu at a fixed price for two courses or three. And seems much more value for money. You do have to book a few days in advance for it usually - as most people locally have cottoned on to this being the better of their menus; and it means eating earlier in the evening. But definitely when I've experienced this restaurant at its best.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Maurice F
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous! A hidden gem.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a lovely Sunday lunch here today. Booking was simple using their online system. We were early but our table was ready. I had previously informed them of our food allergies and they were aware and ready to offer us some alternatives and the waitress knew what was in each dish. The food was presented beautifully and tasted delicious. Service was very good and the staff were welcoming. You could have 1, 2 or 3 courses and the cost was very reasonable. All their meat is from within 15 miles of the restaurant - you can't do better than that! I often dread choosing meat as you never know if it will be good. It was better than good! We feel we have found a gem for our Sunday lunch and will certainly go again. The village is very pretty and the restaurant has a large car park. You can eat outside too. A real find, don't miss it.

The Midlands
“Excellent Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We called in on the spur of the moment for a late Sunday lunch as it was our wedding anniversary. It was a beautiful sunny Summer day and I had a perfect G&T in the garden. The food was fantastic - perfectly cooked to order - and we weren't rushed. The restaurant has just been refurbished and looked lovely - welcoming and friendly. The only downside was that the waiting staff were not very friendly or attentive - we have definitely experienced better trained and more enthusiastic staff. However, we will certainly return.

1 Thank Norma35
Hong kong
“Lost in Wymeswold”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Came across the Hammer & Pincers on an unscheduled detour. Getting a bit late but they were still serving. Pub full but there was space on the terrace. Very comfortable, beautifully maintained garden and lovely warm weather. Great menu catering especially for gluten free, even the bread for dipping which is rare. Menu a bit pricey but oh my word the food was to die for. We only had a starter. We don't normally eat puddings but after the quality we had already eaten decided to give it a go. Fantastic!! Especially the bee hive meringue accompanied by marzipan bee with almond wings.
Give it a go but book ahead. You won't be disappointed. Linda & Mel