“Helpful staff, nice hotel”

Quorn Country Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Loughborough
Zurich, Switzerland
“Helpful staff, nice hotel”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed as a family of 2 adults, a toddler and a baby for 2 nights for a wedding. The hotel is of a good standard and we stayed in a junior suite which was good quality for the price. It should be noted however that the junior suites are up a set of very steep stairs and therefore are not ideal for families.

Breakfast was great, especially the cooked breakfast, even if they had run out both days of black pudding.

The quality of the wedding was fantastic and was very impressed by the food. Also had room service curry one evening which was very good.

The staff were very helpful, although it did feel as if they were understaffed at times.

Overall, I would happily dstay here again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a junior suite if you are a family as the stairs are very steep
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Bought a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea and went with my mum. The staff were very pleasant and I have to say the food was good but nothing amazing.
The downside was that it was set up in a fairly small room that looked like a library but was quite a dark room seeing as it had 2 windows which did not really light up the room sufficiently. All the tables were very close together and you could quite easily hear the conversation from the other tables.
All in all it was an OK experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerQuorn, General Manager at Quorn Country Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us. The library is one of the original parts of the hotel's 15th century listed building and, whilst this area brings character to our hotel, I can appreciate your comments regarding the lighting. Thank you for your feedback concerning the position of the tables within this area. I have followed this up with the operations team. We do hope you will return in the future.
UK
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Recently went there for a groupon lunch.
The hotel building is very pleasant and the staff reasonably friendly. The food however was extremely poor and service was very slow. Definitely NOT 4* quality. The duck was bland , the mussels tasteless and the prawns were not fresh. The mains were noting like the advertised pictures.
I would expect this quality of food at my local supermarket restaurant.!!
Definitely avoid.

1 Thank nilmanUk
Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on our food which has received an AA rosette but it is clear that you felt we did not hit the mark on this occasion and for that I would like to offer my apologies and those of the Head Chef.

Travellers are raving about these Loughborough hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We booked a short break through Hotel Exclusives and it was excellent. The hotel in general was fine as was the room ( with a huge bed ) with all the features you would expect from a 4 star establishment. The staff were extremely helpfull and eager to please. We dined in the resaurant last night and it was the nicest meal I have had in a long time, Rib eye steak with wild mushrooms in a creamy sauce served on a bed of mash mixed with ham hock.
Superb food and a nice hotel with extensive gardens to the river set in the lovely village of Quorn with lots of good pubs to choose from and plenty of places to visit and Bradgate country park to go walking.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms were fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerQuorn, General Manager at Quorn Country Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. I am pleased that you had an excellent stay and enjoyed all aspects of the hotel including our setting & the delightful village of Quorn. I have shared your review with the team and I know your kind comments will be very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Leicestershire
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked as a group of 4 to have Sunday lunch, we ordered whilst having a drink in the bar and we were called to the table when the starters were ready. The starters were ok. We had hardly finished the last mouthful when our plates were whipped away and what seemed like seconds later the main course was presented. This was fair but some of the vegetables were under cooked. Once the main courses were finished as the plates were being collected the desert menus were being delivered, we asked if we could have a small break which lasted 5 mins before we were asked if we were ready to order. All told a fairly average meal but we did feel like they wanted us in and out as quick as possible.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Somerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We held our daughters wedding on Aug 17th at the Quorn Country Hotel . The pre-wedding organisation was handled by Susan Hill who was totally excellent both in the organisation and advice she gave . From the time we arrived at the hotel(the day before the wedding)and on the day itself everything was perfect . The staff were both professional and friendly and the accommodation excellent. The manger, Sebastion, was always on hand and extremely helpful and very approachable. The food was very good and I have no hesitation in recommending this venue to anyone who is planning an event. While I have mentioned two members of staff by name I wish to say that all members of staff that we were in contact with provided good friendly service

Room Tip: All of our guests seemed very pleased with their rooms and we had guests in all parts of the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerQuorn, General Manager at Quorn Country Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your comments which I have shared with the team. I am delighted that you, your daughter & your guests had a fabulous wedding day with us and that you felt in good hands right from the word go. We wish your daughter & her new husband much happiness in their new life together.
Nottingham
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My husband booked an overnight stay as a surprise 1st anniversary treat.

On arrival we were greeted at the reception by a very smartly presented friendly and competent receptionist who also showed us to our room.

We stayed in room 501 which was very nice, lovely bathroom with good towels, toiletries and heated towel rail.
The bed was comfortable and the flat screen TV had sky sports so the other half was happy!
Only negative was that I spotted a cobweb on the ceiling.

Now this is where everything starts to go a bit wrong......service and staff in the bar and dining room.

I can only say it was painful! All I heard was staff apologising to guests, charging them incorrectly and it appeared that there was no system. My husband and I were tempted at one point to organise them all into zones and ensure that they all knew there roles and responsibilities, but we resisted. The ( what I think was the manager ) was not particularly visible and when needed to correct some transactions clearly didn't know how to. I would be very interested to know if a) they ever managed to balance and reconcile that till at the end of the night and b) would predict that their audit and stick take us going to be horrendous.

So the meal.... Again very poor organisation and opportunities to up sell and encourage spend lost. We had to ask for our glass of wine which was included and there was not any salt and pepper or water on the table. As for the seating arrangements I have never felt so uncomfortable. We were led to a very small room to the back where another couple were already seated. There was no atmosphere or back ground music which meant both couples were clearly uncomfortable and whispering.
The food was ok. We both had a salmon fish cake to start which ( and I maybe wrong ) but I'm pretty convinced was not home made. I then had chicken which again was alright but a little dry and the jus quite bitter/ burnt taste. My husband had steak which appeared quite fatty and again the gravy wasn't great.

At breakfast again it was just frustrating that the basics were missing. I had to ask for coffee when the breakfast was served, there was no sauces and when I went to get some orange juice only one glass.

This hotel is not a 4 star at best it is 3. The staff seem very nice and as if they want to do a good job, however I think the failings are poor management in as that they are not supporting or directing there staff in the most effective fashion and overseeing the running if the bar and restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive account of your experience and observations. I am happy to hear that you very much liked your executive room and the facilities it offered. I have passed your comments regarding the dinner service onto my Operations Manager for review and I would like to offer my apologies for this lapse in service during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loughborough
Quorn Grange Hotel
#12 of 12 in Loughborough
The Link Hotel
The Link Hotel
#2 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Quorn Country Hotel? Share your experiences!