“No problems whatsoever!”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Loughborough
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“No problems whatsoever!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having read a number of less than positive reviews in the lead up to my recent stay on this site, I must say I was a bit nervous about this venue!
However, it just goes to show that it really is easier for people to complain than to be nice.

From arrival to departure, I must say that everything went as expected and, if I'm honest, Loughborough isn't nearly as boring as I thought it would be. Although it could do with a Laser Quest a bit closer. Everywhere needs a Laser Quest.

Check in was efficient, food was decent, rooms were fine and although we didn't partake in the afternoon tea which seems to have received a pasting on here, I did see someone else having it and it looked fine - although maybe I'm just not as much of an afternoon tea expert as the others on here? Possible. I prefer an egg custard. This hotel didn't do egg custards. Hence why I knocked a point off the overall rating. Well, that and the Laser Quest but that's not really their fault.

I even met a chap who introduced himself as the GM during the evening of our stay whilst in the bar. Seemed a pleasant enough bloke and he took the time to have a bit of a chat with us. I even asked him about some of the bad feedback on here and he took it quite well to be honest. I guess it would have been easy to slag off the people who'd been mean about his hotel but he was quite pragmatic about the whole thing. Having said that, he didn't have any hair and he was trying to make me believe that before he went into hotel management he had long, flowing ginger locks. Like I say, he was a pleasant enough little fella and I thought the hotel in general was a decent reflection on him.

In short, I'd definitely go again, it's definitely better than a number of other hotels I have stayed at in the area and even if the hotel itself isn't your cup of tea, the staff have a bit of personality and can have a laugh alongside delivering professional service.
I wouldn't imagine you'd get that at the Travelodge.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank A_Bull_Is_A_Bull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

After seeing the recent reviews we were a bit sceptical about this booking, but it was fantastic, we had a meal in the restaurant, a lovely room within the building, a bit dim but the food and service more than made up for it. We had a voucher so didn't really know what to expect but we were treated no differently to anyone in the restaurant. It is certainly somewhere we will go again and somewhere we shall recommend. Building and surroundings are beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve p
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have just returned from a Sunday lunch with friends on a Groupon deal at the Quorn Country Hotel. What a disappointment, we will not be returning!
STARTERS:
Two of us had the bacon salad starter which was absolutely divine, but sadly turned out to be the only positive of this dining experience.
MAIN SUNDAY LUNCH:
All 4 of our Sunday lunches arrived, but it took a further 10 minutes and asking for one small bowl of veg to be served (for 4 people), by which time, our dinners were practically cold.
My roast chicken was overcooked, rubbery and dry to the point where I couldn't get my knife through it. Each plate had a drizzle of jus on it, but there was no gravy for the table. 'No one can eat a Sunday lunch without gravy' said the waiter as he went back off into the kitchen in a bid to get us a gravy jug (other tables had gravy jugs on them). We asked again for the gravy several times, but it never came. The waiter told us that he had asked the kitchen but the kitchen had told him that we would just have to wait. We had to leave our meat as it was too dry to eat without any gravy.
DESERT
Crumble and Creme Anglais. We had to look deep into the creme anglais jug to be able to see the small amount which had been provided for 2 people. After pouring the minuscule amount over the puddings the creme curdled and split. Feeling suspicious, we smelled the creme and said it smelt of fish, and raised concerns with staff. We were told that everything in the kitchen was fresh and there was no chance that the creme anglais was off. The deserts were returned to the kitchen and another set was brought out. Again, exactly the same minuscule amount of creme anglais for 2 people.
PAYING THE BILL
We spoke to someone who worked in the restaurant as we were leaving to highlight that this had been a less than enjoyable experience for us, and raising our concerns. Only to be advised that we could do an audit of their kitchen ourselves to check for out of date food if we wished! Needless to say, we won't be returning.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1976Poppet

Travellers are raving about these Loughborough hotels

Leicester
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Whole place could do with a makeover, deteriorated since our daughter's wedding in 2006. Toilets smelt fusty and plaster was flaking off the walls, lots of dust in the cubicles.

The tea today wasn't even as good as the one I enjoyed with a friend in January. Indeed it was an Amazon offer and I guess that the majority of fellow diners had presented either a Groupon or Amazon voucher, the place was quite full. This gave the feeling of a mass produced, formulaic affair. The service was prompt and efficient but there was no follow up or offer of refills of the tea or coffee pots. The sandwiches were miniscule and uninteresting, fillings of tuna, smoked salmon, chopped egg and cucumber and cream cheese. The bread was mundane and the scones very dry.
There was only just enough jam and cream to cover them and make them edible. The other very
small cakes were quite tasty thank goodness.

What a shame that the experience was so as my husband had planned it as a birthday treat. Sadly I don't think we shall be visiting again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LIZANNLeicester
Matthew_McCristal, Manager at Quorn Country Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.
Please be aware we take all feedback very seriously and we look to make improvements where possible.
Again thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards
Sileby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My friend treated me for Afternoon Tea (Wed afternoon at 4pm).
I wouldn't go again - the (small) glass of Processco was only 2/3rds full.
The 3-tier sandwich stand was very unstable & wobbly, the cups & saucers were not bone china, the coffee pot did not keep the coffee hot....
And the food! The sandwiches almost had all the crusts cut off, the bread was beginning to go hard from being exposed to the air, the tuna sandwiches were too salty, the egg mayo too sludgy, the macaroons tasted of nothing & were tiny, the scones were more like rock cakes and came with jam & cream that would have just sufficed for one scone (had it been a scone), the biscuits looked as if they had come out of a shop bought tin and the napkins were paper!
I do not by any means call myself posh nor a afternoon tea connoisseur, but there is a certain expectation to be upheld....Freshly made sandwiches with tasty fillings (we did not have a beef & horseradish sandwich), scones that you cannot wait to lather jam & cream on, macaroons that just melt in your mouth, homemade biscuits....AND china cups & saucers, proper napkins and china teapots or coffee pots!
It's not too much to ask when you pay almost £15 for a "Traditional Afternoon Tea" at a "4* country retreat" (ok so we had a voucher, but still..)...or is it?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tanya1965
Derby
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We booked a romantic break to celebrate our wedding anniversary which included 3 course evening meal and breakfast the next morning. We had an executive room which was very nice and overlooked the garden and the river. The bathroom needed some attention as there was mould growing in the corner of the bath but on the whole the room was good.
The evening meal was very nice but the service was painfully slow. Only two members of staff on but neither seemed to know what they were supposed to be doing.
At breakfast the next morning we were served by a very pleasant and helpful waitress who was very eager to please. Breakfast was high on choice but low on quality. You could have built a wall with the bagels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments on your stay with us.
I can assure you I have personally taken the relevant actions where needed to improve guest experiences for the future.
I can only apologise that your stay wasn't up to the usual high standard we offer and I do hope you will come back to us and enjoy the high standard we offer here.

Kind Regards
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Awful place. We stayed last Saturday night, there were 2 weddings on during our stay so there was no where for us to have dinner or drink. We ended up going out somewhere else for the evening. When we returned the car park was full, we explained to the staff that there was no spaces and was told to park on the village hall car park near by, which didn't happen as that car park was also full!. The staff were not very helpful and didn't seem to be able to smile. Our room was fairly clean, but no air con and the plug switches didn't work at the desk area. Due to the weddings and being put into a room that was on the ground floor there was noise until gone 1am, which included people shouting/screaming in the car park which the staff did nothing about. There wasn't enough fag bin so there were fag ends around the outside of the building. The breakfast was the only good thing about the whole stay. We booked a night to see what this place was like as it was one of three places that we were considering for our wedding but there is no way I would stop there again let alone get married there!!!!.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MandyCs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loughborough
Quorn Grange Hotel
#2 of 12 in Loughborough
The Cedars Hotel & Restaurant
The Cedars Hotel & Restaurant
#6 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Quorn Country Hotel? Share your experiences!