“Beautiful shires and beautiful service ”

Quorn Country Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Loughborough
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I recently came here for an evening meal with a couple of friends. We were greeted on arrival, not the best greeting as women was wanting to push us in very quickly. However we were then greeted by a lovely gentlemen who ensured all our needs were fulfilled. The Shires was absolutely beautiful and so was the service. The food was satisfying but not brilliant however we thoroughly enjoyed the evening and I would love to mention the waiters name but unfortunately We have forgotten what he was called. Absolutely amazing personality and hospitality and made our overall visit here one I won't forget.

2  Thank Isobelle A

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We decided to have our wedding and reception at the Quorn Country Hotel having been to one of their monthly wedding fayres. The wedding co-ordinator, Susan Hill was so helpful in explaining what options were available and we had no hesitation in booking the venue. We were not disappointed, everything ran like clockwork. The ceremony was held in the Orangery an ideal setting. The wedding breakfast and evening reception buffet were superb and throughout the whole day, the staff were fantastic especially the Master of Ceremonies. It was a wonderful day made even better by the choice of venue and we would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to any one who is getting married.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

I book myself, mum and sister in law in for a nice relaxing afternoon tea for my mums birthday treat. Well it certainly wasnt a treat. The food was poor and the tea was weak. The sandwichs had crusty edges after being left out I'm guessing once made, cakes were unimaginative and dry, biscuits which looked like they came from a tin and could have broken your teeth and scones that were rock hard, dry and half and inch thick. We ordered 2 teas and a coffee. The coffee was ok, not piping hot but ok. The tea for 2 was weak with just 1 pg tips tea bag (we asked for another one which we got).
We had an Amazon Local voucher for our booking and it felt like because we hadn't paid the full amount we were given the scraps. Now I'm lead to believe companies are using these voucher websites to promote their products and bring in new business. It didnt work this time.
The hotel in general felt dated and run down.
Very disappointing experience and I would advice against anyone going here.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Defiggy
Matthew_McCristal, General Manager at Quorn Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Dear guest,

I am sorry to read of your recent experience at our hotel. It is very disappointing to read that on this occasion we failed to deliver on our basic standards for something we take great pride in. I have tried to contact you but if you would be willing to discuss with me further, please get in touch with me at matthew@quorncountryhotel.co.uk, I would very much like to hear from you personally.

Matthew

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had arranged a meal for six at the shires restaurant in the hotel and although there was a wedding reception on at the time they gave us individual alcoves in the hotel reception area. Very private quiet but food was superb.The staff could have not been more helpful.My only critiscm was no Parmesan with the pasta meal but otherwise one of the better venues we have been to

2  Thank frankLeicester
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having read a number of less than positive reviews in the lead up to my recent stay on this site, I must say I was a bit nervous about this venue!
However, it just goes to show that it really is easier for people to complain than to be nice.

From arrival to departure, I must say that everything went as expected and, if I'm honest, Loughborough isn't nearly as boring as I thought it would be. Although it could do with a Laser Quest a bit closer. Everywhere needs a Laser Quest.

Check in was efficient, food was decent, rooms were fine and although we didn't partake in the afternoon tea which seems to have received a pasting on here, I did see someone else having it and it looked fine - although maybe I'm just not as much of an afternoon tea expert as the others on here? Possible. I prefer an egg custard. This hotel didn't do egg custards. Hence why I knocked a point off the overall rating. Well, that and the Laser Quest but that's not really their fault.

I even met a chap who introduced himself as the GM during the evening of our stay whilst in the bar. Seemed a pleasant enough bloke and he took the time to have a bit of a chat with us. I even asked him about some of the bad feedback on here and he took it quite well to be honest. I guess it would have been easy to slag off the people who'd been mean about his hotel but he was quite pragmatic about the whole thing. Having said that, he didn't have any hair and he was trying to make me believe that before he went into hotel management he had long, flowing ginger locks. Like I say, he was a pleasant enough little fella and I thought the hotel in general was a decent reflection on him.

In short, I'd definitely go again, it's definitely better than a number of other hotels I have stayed at in the area and even if the hotel itself isn't your cup of tea, the staff have a bit of personality and can have a laugh alongside delivering professional service.
I wouldn't imagine you'd get that at the Travelodge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank A_Bull_Is_A_Bull
Reviewed 21 August 2014

After seeing the recent reviews we were a bit sceptical about this booking, but it was fantastic, we had a meal in the restaurant, a lovely room within the building, a bit dim but the food and service more than made up for it. We had a voucher so didn't really know what to expect but we were treated no differently to anyone in the restaurant. It is certainly somewhere we will go again and somewhere we shall recommend. Building and surroundings are beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve p
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have just returned from a Sunday lunch with friends on a Groupon deal at the Quorn Country Hotel. What a disappointment, we will not be returning!
STARTERS:
Two of us had the bacon salad starter which was absolutely divine, but sadly turned out to be the only positive of this dining experience.
MAIN SUNDAY LUNCH:
All 4 of our Sunday lunches arrived, but it took a further 10 minutes and asking for one small bowl of veg to be served (for 4 people), by which time, our dinners were practically cold.
My roast chicken was overcooked, rubbery and dry to the point where I couldn't get my knife through it. Each plate had a drizzle of jus on it, but there was no gravy for the table. 'No one can eat a Sunday lunch without gravy' said the waiter as he went back off into the kitchen in a bid to get us a gravy jug (other tables had gravy jugs on them). We asked again for the gravy several times, but it never came. The waiter told us that he had asked the kitchen but the kitchen had told him that we would just have to wait. We had to leave our meat as it was too dry to eat without any gravy.
DESERT
Crumble and Creme Anglais. We had to look deep into the creme anglais jug to be able to see the small amount which had been provided for 2 people. After pouring the minuscule amount over the puddings the creme curdled and split. Feeling suspicious, we smelled the creme and said it smelt of fish, and raised concerns with staff. We were told that everything in the kitchen was fresh and there was no chance that the creme anglais was off. The deserts were returned to the kitchen and another set was brought out. Again, exactly the same minuscule amount of creme anglais for 2 people.
PAYING THE BILL
We spoke to someone who worked in the restaurant as we were leaving to highlight that this had been a less than enjoyable experience for us, and raising our concerns. Only to be advised that we could do an audit of their kitchen ourselves to check for out of date food if we wished! Needless to say, we won't be returning.

1  Thank 1976Poppet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loughborough
Quorn Grange Hotel
#1 of 12 in Loughborough
Rothley Court
Rothley Court
#1 of 1 in Rothley

Been to Quorn Country Hotel? Share your experiences!