“Brilliant ”

Great Central Railway
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Brilliant day out had a lovely place to eat on eat on the station also a lovely breakfast is available on the train.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"main course"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Had a diesel driving experience. Drove a class 47 up and down their railway five times. Best day of my railway loving life!!!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Yesterday we went on the Saturday Dining trip on a steam train from Loughborough to Leicester. The weather was awful when we arrived so the train was moved up under the canopy so we could all board in the dry.Since I'm disabled I was delighted to discover a lift to get me down to the platform which a helpful chap showed me how to use. The young people waiting on & serving were extremely friendly & helpful. We had pre-ordered our main course, either coq au vin or roast lamb. The meal was great, well cooked & plenty of it, loads of vegetables to go with the main course. Every so often we were given information about the line or the locality which was interesting. The whole trip seemed to go like clockwork, no problems despite the rain & then the heat in the carriages. When we arrived back at Loughborough we weren't hurried off the train, but we were made aware that our tickets covered us to ride again on a normal service going to Leicester, giving us the chance to get off at one of the stations we passed through. A most enjoyable outing, definitely would recommend it to others.

1  Thank purpleofeastwood
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Great Central Railway is excellent in most respects. As an enthusiast, I enjoyed the diversity and quality of exhibits - the standard of preservation is very high and, as a photographer, I enjoyed my intentional ploy of going on a non-event day. There were trains running but few bipedal obstructions to my photographs. Preserved railways inevitably balance authenticity with pragmatism, needing to offer broad appeal and, of course, comply with today's often tedious Health & Safety regulations. Nonetheless, access at the three sites I visited is very good. The variety of locomotives at Loughborough is a joy.

A platform ticket at Loughborough Central seems at first expensive at £3 but, on reflection, I got very good value out of it. The buffet was completely unable to cope with an influx of passengers and did not help themselves by putting a recent recruit in the front line. Quorn & Woodhouse was a different story with lunch taking a long time to arrive but, prepared fresh, very worthwhile.

Ample parking at all three sites (we did not visit Leicester North) added to a relaxing atmosphere. You might have to park on the street at Loughborough Central but additional parking is provided on event days. I was very satisfied with my photographs and we shall certainly return to this excellent railway.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Called in on our way back from Newark. Left car at Rothley, where there is free parking in station yard and set off down line behind their lovely red engine to Leicester, from where we did a round trip back and had some excellent refreshments in the cafe in the yard.. As a volunteer on the Severn Valley Railway it was good to meet another group of friendly and helpful volunteers working this railway and the only double lined preserved railway in Britain. Well worth a visit and travel back in time.