“What a find - Our stay made perfect by the staff and owners”

Caravelli with Rooms
Ranked #6 of 21 Loughborough B&B and Inns
Winchester, United Kingdom
“What a find - Our stay made perfect by the staff and owners”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I believe in giving credit where it's due so here is my review of Caravelli - Absolutely cannot rave enough about this amazing little boutique B&B (or, restaurant with rooms) we stayed 3 nights - 5 days and although we had a problem in our first room we were moved immediately the next day - This may sound negative but I assure you that the owner (Bruno) had somebody in the very next day to rectify the issue and could not have been more apologetic and customer focused - we were not charged for the previous night which in this day and age is remarkable in its self but he even stayed overnight in the room himself to check the problem had been rectified to his satisfaction so that no other guests had the same experience . The first room was gorgeous anyway but the second room was a stunning and a sheer pleasure to stay in. You can see from the video and photo's of both rooms that they are all done to a very high standard but what makes this place stand out is the attention to detail from Bruno and his staff - Particularly Flori who mans the reception and is (i think) the general guest services / liaison manager, To be honest it is more like joining a small family for 5 days!. The food served in the Italian restaurant was superior and needs no talking up from me - it was very popular and busy from 6.30 onwards, clearly a much loved favorite place to hang out by the locals. It can happily cater for formal and informal (there was even a wedding there the day we left but they did not miss a heartbeat in the service we received even at their busiest) You would not feel out of place in full evening attire for a special occasion or, jeans and a t-shirt straight from the train. I would recommend eating here even if you are not staying in the hotel itself. There are 4 rooms all sporting their own individual and unique character . The first room we were in overlooked the car park to the rear and does have a lovely shower but no bath. The second room "The Beaumont" overlooks the high street and a stunning church across the road it has a delightful roll top bath as a feature (but no shower) so if you are on a business stay probably not an ideal choice of room - go with one of the rooms with the power shower as i would say The Beaumont is geared more towards romance - Massive 4 poster with drapes. It is above the restaurant so if you are uneasy with very mild noise till about 11.00- (by mild i mean no more than a general background buzz of people enjoying themselves) then i also suggest to stay in one of the back rooms. but to be honest, if you are booking a room here you should embrace the atmosphere and sit downstairs with a nice bottle of one of their fine Italian wines - they do have an extensive and excellent list. Don't worry if you are Solo, the owners and staff are unobtrusive if you want them to be, or equally, will readily sit and chat .I would say that if absolute silence and solitude is your thing book out of town and not here, This place is in the heart of the centre and more than a nod in the direction of all things Italian i.e.; bubbly , boisterous and welcoming . The public (restaurant) toilets were immaculate as was the fresh crisp white bedding and towels that were so clean and fluffy they looked like they had just been bought (and actually were giant bath towels - rare nowadays, usually it's a dish cloth size to get dried on). Water was always boiling hot ( 24/7 so do be careful as i mean hot)
The breakfast (included in booking) was massive - A full English cooked fresh to order with a steaming pot of freshly ground Italian coffee - do be warned; the sausages are Italian so a little perfumed - not to everyone's palette after a rich evening meal in the restaurant. I chose scrambled eggs with my full English but it turned out that those too evolved into something magical - They do also have the usual cereals ect but be warned the bread for the toast was freshly sliced from a doorstep of a fresh loaf - you may leave here several sizes bigger than you arrived - I don't think the chefs have the ability to "just cook food" even at the breakfast run they were busy adding "Love" to everything that left the kitchen! Of particular note to the standards of food here is that one night the restaurant was at full capacity, we all 4 ordered different starters and different mains - all 8 separate dishes came out perfect - this in itself is no mean feat in a busy packed restaurant. What touched us about our stay were the small things, Flori cottoned on that I have a cigarette and strong coffee every morning before i engage in any kind of anything - she unexpectedly brought me a streaming cup outside where i was sat on the little bench having my cigarette. Overall, above and beyond all our expectations is the wonderful little place we found called Cavellis . Try it yourself, If I ever have a need to stay in Loughborough again there is only one place I will be staying. When we looked on the internet and found this place for just a tenner more than premier inn and travel lodge it' was a no brainer - we are so glad we did and would have happily paid a little bit more. Aa Hah - I have thought of a negative - I knew i could if i put my mind to it - the car park is an absolute bugger to find as it is on a one way system. once in it is safe and securely tucked away behind the hotel but more than a little patience is needed to navigate Loughboroughs one way system - you can see the hotel and know where you want to be - you actually have to drive past it several times to be facing in the right direction to get in the car park - so expect a waltz to get parked up!

Room Tip: The Beaumont is good for couples as it has all the "romance " boxes - 4 poster roll top ba...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank huddyandange

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Excellent room, just like the photos. Everything like new, quality fixtures and fittings, comfy bed, very tastefully decorated.
Very accommodating owners, friendly, great service.
The food in the Italian restaurant below is delicious, really superb menu. It's run by Italians and it shows in the quality of ingredients and cooking.
All very reasonably priced too (room and food).

• Stayed March 2012
Edinburgh, sometimes
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Although the property shows signs of having been a larger-scale hotel in the past, it is now basically a (rather fine) Italian restaurant with a handful of B&B rooms upstairs. The room I stayed in was very spacious with a good-sized bathroom attached. It was warm, despite sub-zero temperatures outside, but not always quiet - a car park below the window saw frequent comings and goings with attendant conversations during the evening, although these had ceased before midnight.

It's centrally located, reasonably priced and better than many of the chains that are your alternatives in this part of the world. I would return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We decided to stay here at the end of a weekend mid way to work the next day. The room was lovely and large with a huge free standing bath, large bed, recently redecorated with dark red walls and a chandelier - very decadent.

The only problem, which we weren't told when we booked it, was that the restaurant it is above is closed on a Sunday so there is no where to eat or drink without heading off into the town. But it also turns out that there is barely anywhere open in Loughborough on a Sunday night at all.

There were no staff available for the rooms and we had to arrange what time we wanted to be let in and even then were stood in the rain for ages banging on the door trying to get attention. This meant no one to ask where to eat or drink so we ended up having to get a chinese takeaway and eating it in our room with plastic knives and forks!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My partner booked the room as we needed to stay in Loughborough for an evening, and what a pleasant surprise! Gorgeous room with real character, a very friendly and efficient welcome, and a fabulous full English in the morning :) I would have no hesitation in rebooking if we ever need to be in the area again. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012
NOTTS
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed in Hastings room , it was huge very clean .. Ate in the Italian restaurant down stairs not our type of food but it was very nice .. Lovely breakfast full English with cereals toast tea coffee juice.. Close to shopping centre we stayed as was close to prestwold hall were hubby had a trackday ! Would defiantly stay here again.. Staff very nice x

• Stayed January 2012
Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I arrived late one night off the London train. Fifteen minutes later and I was met with a charming (and very attractive!) reception committeer at the door waiting up to greet me.

The owner's neice escorted me to my room, indicating it was fine to check-in in the morning, rather than so late at night - a nice touch. Despite the fact she and her boyfriend were keen to escape, she took the time to ensure I had everything I needed before retiring.

The room itself was spacious and the bed comfortable. It was a little noisy when I stayed: partly the traffic, but mostly the howling wind outside. The bathroom was OK. The shower was not the prettiest: perfectly functional, but an update would go a long way. Also, the above-sink glass shelf was at exactly the right height so that you strike your head on it when washing your face in the sink - maybe it's just a bloke thing, but why does this happen so much...??

The price for the room (including breakfast) was pretty reasonable for this neck of the woods, and staying here is definitely a nice change from the chain hotels or conference suites nearby.

The only drawback I found was at breakfast time. I had asked to have breakfast at 7am, which I was told would not be a problem. However, it appears no-one told the breakfast staff: the door into the dining area was firmly locked at 07:10, and even when I exited via the resident's door, I could not find any signs of life downstairs. It was only when I went back to the room to prepare to pack and leave (and leave a note to sort out payment I hasten to add) that I checked the hotel information saying breakfast was not until 07:30. Sure enough, 20 minutes later and my birthday breakfast was on the menu again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business