“Still hungry”

Ranked #20 of 268 Restaurants in Loughborough
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Went here for a family birthday with little ones. Some of my family liked their food but I was very disappointed. Went for the goats cheese and beetroot cheesecake which was listed in the starters but for £12.95 could be a main course. When it arrived I asked if I'd been given the starter portion by mistake. Fancily presented but much smaller then the children's food portions. My son had the children's burger meal which again was a poor portion size. (Children's scampi and chicken meals were good size). Nice pub with nice garden (sadly dog poo there so not so child friendly). Had toys in the pub which was nice for the children and the garden room was nice for the family to be away from the main bit of the pub. Sadly a case of daylight robbery when it came to some of the dishes. Would have mentioned it when paying but didn't want to spoil the family occasion.

1  Thank FoxGods

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Went for a birthday meal and was very disappointed. My husband had the leek and potato soup which had way too much pepper in it, and I had the sourdough bread with roasted garlic. Normally I am told the garlic is hot but it wasn't on this occasion but it was ok. Our mains were the pork belly fritters with chips- again a disappointment as the chips were barely warm and the fritters very dry and a bit stringy, whilst my plaice, which was the special, was quite small and was greasy, and came with a handful of undressed rocket, straight from a packet and just plonked on top, served with a few roasted new potatoes, probably roasted left overs! Finally the dessert - my rhubarb crumble was ok, but my husbands creme brûlée was not set. It was sent back and could not be replaced as apparently the whole batch was like this. They apologised and took the price of a dessert of the bill.
The staff however were polite and efficient , and the place itself is very nicely decorated.
Why didn't we complain more - well we went with friends who said their meal was fine, and the pub is one of their locals , and we didn't want to make a fuss, but I will be in no hurry to return when we visit next.

3  Thank eeyorelover
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We spent New Year's Eve here in 2014 with friends - there were four of us in all. It was warm, friendly and suited all our dietary requirements. The food was great and the prices reasonable. I am looking forward to coming back at some point in the summer.

Starters and puddings were a selection of small dishes that we all tucked into - tapas style. Very tasty and a great idea on such a busy night. The staff looked to be having a good night as well. Thank you Windmill Inn - a great evening.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We have previously eaten at the Windmill and have had an enjoyable enough evening, but their February/ March menu has exceeded all our previous experiences with them! They were able to find us a table at short notice, and we were served promptly by friendly and enthusiastic staff.

We both ordered mains of beautiful seasonal food - the rabbit pappardelle and the ox cheek lasagne both come highly recommended!! This is some of the best food we have had, and reasonably priced.

Thank you for a lovely meal and evening, we look forward to eating with you again!

1  Thank CatBells89
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Ate here twice in short succession recently - brought a friend here for lunch and all of us throughly enjoyed our meals - she had a steak ciabetta and my fiance had a pulled pork dish, I had the beetroot and goats cheese dish which was gorgeous but I did find it a bit odd that it was served with both bread and chips - it really doesn't need the bread but that's just personal choice. We ordered in onion rings to share between us all and they were truly amazing!
My fiance and I ordered a dessert to share between us which was the carrot cake which was light and truly tasty! The service was as good as ever.

Our next meal was for a special occasion - my birthday - unfortunately we had a bit of an issue with some of our food here but I have to say that the matter was resolved in a fabulous manner and that it hasn't put us off eating here - in fact both our main courses and dessert were totally fabulous!
I had the lobster thermidor burger and it was truly delicious and my fiance had the venison loin which he totally loved!
Our dessert was a sharing dessert and the pan baked white chocolate cookie was amazing.

If things go wrong, it does show the mettle of a professional restaurant to put things right and how they put things right and the staff at the Windmill did this with flying colours.