“They must have bribed someone to get four stars”
Review of Burleigh Court

Burleigh Court
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Loughborough
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Booked a junior suite for two nights at this hotel and was not impressed at all.
I've stayed in a lot of hotels of various ratings all over the world and this was one of the worst I've experienced for its class.

Bad points:
No air conditioning or cooling (just a single fan in a cupboard to be plugged in)
No mini bar or fridge (in a suite?)
No room safe
The windows barely open to let in any air
TV is tiny with hardly any channels
The "double" bed was two singles pushed together
There was an ironing board but no iron
Towels were stiff and there were no other items (like robes etc)
The breakfast was basic and quite stingy for £15 per person

Lastly, and this is only during the olympics, but we had to go through a metal detector and have our bags x-rayed each time we entered the hotel.

Good points:
The pool wasn't too cold and the leisure facilities are quite good
The internet was fast and had good coverage in the hotel

To give an idea, this hotel was so bad that I created a trip advisor account just to leave a review even though I've been using the website for years.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank salnajjar
OperationsManager07, General Manager at Burleigh Court, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. Your comment regarding bribery is not helpful at all and clearly highlights a lack of undrestanding regarding the national grading and accreditation schemes that hotels sign up to in this country.The team work very hard to achieve and maintain the demanding standards required by VisitBritain and we are extremly proud of our 4 star status.

Clearly our hotel and bedroom was not your personal taste and your experience was exceptional and most unfortunate, for this I can only apologise.

There are newer reviews for Burleigh Court

Reviewed 25 July 2012

3rd time at this hotel was slightly less impressed the second time we visited but was appalled the lat time and it will be the last time! I was searched on arrival including all baggage not a problem apart from the age that it took because items kept getting jammed in the scanner, OK so on to lunch which I have to say was ample but cold, dinner was served to us at the table and came I think when the staff could be bothered and got a starter and main wrong and had to change them increasing the amount of time the rest of us had to wait to start (soup was very thick and creamy but almost cold by the time we had all the starters on the table). Room was ground floor and noisy with other guests until past midnight then I was woken by trollies going forwards and back from the kitchen 5.15 am to be precise. Breakfast.......... I have never in my 47 years experienced anythink like this; they were 10 minutes late starting, no cutlery, no plates, no glasses. all arrived after another 10 minutes wait. The tea was cold and I had a full English breakast because the queues were quite long for the cereal & fruit etc but unfortunately this arrived cold the sausages were pink in the middle and both eggs still had jelly around the yoke which made me wretch when I noticed. I did mention this on my way out but was told " I'ts because we are catering for Team GB" all I will say to this is I was a paying customer and if they could not supply the service they should not have taken the booking! Oh and there's only 1 toilet for all the conference rooms so probably 200 plus guests were sharing one loo, not ideal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you very muchfor your comments and feedback. I am extremely disappointed and sorry that you had such a poor experience wIth us. I can assure you that this was clearly a one off and not in keeping with the usual high stanards our guests are used to.

Unfortunately your anonymity does not allow us the two way communication required to investigate your comments and get to the bottom of your complaint which is frustrating and most unfortunate. If guests are this disatisfied with our service I can only ask that they speak to us during their stay, that way we can investigate and give the matter the attention it deserves.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I have never been to Loughborough before. Just spent one night there for a workshop on the cultural implications of the Internet of Things. Most of the hotel was taken over by the Uk Olympic Team, so security barriers and desultory security checks. This hotel is owned, I think, by the uni, which is academic, and is big. My room looked onto a courtyard and the meeting rooms had few windows. The hotel claims to be four star, but has the feel of a superior travel inn. Long corridors.

Having TeaGB in residence did not help. Seeing fit but fed-up athletes in their team sportswear uniforms trudge the hallways and sit listlessly texting but not drinking in their cordoned off bar, reminded one one less of a hotel and more of Long Lartin prison.

Televsion was Freeview, but curiously no channels beyond the news channels, so route beyond Rabbit to radio blocked off.

Breakfast fine but served in souless room without windows. For a soi-disant four star hotel, few comfortable lounges but myriads of meeting rooms; all very Stakhanovite. And on meeting rooms, why does TeamGB need to have so many meeting rooms booked? If Powerpoint is now an Olympic sport, the UK will top the medals table...

So overall, professional, but not four star, not comfortable, and no sense inside the hotel of being in Leicestershire... but on check-out, because to wait for the taxi I had to walk beyond the steel security girdle, I realised for the first time that this hotel is on the edge of the country: the oak outwoods rolling up towards the Beacon. And for that minute a blackbird sang, close by, and round him, mistier,farther and farther, all the birds of Leicestershire...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ShaleBing

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. Whilst clearly the Olympics and Team GBs presence at Burleigh Court was not everybody's cup of tea the majority of our guests over the two month period thoroughly enjoyed the privilege of sharing facilities with them and we have had some incredible feedback regarding their experiences.

Our four star accreditation is awarded annually by VisitBritain following a robust, unannounced audit. The team work incedibly hard throughout the year maintaining and improving standards and we are extremely proud of our Silver Award and overall 80% score which we received in May.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I booked Burleigh Court on recommendation from a friend as it was my daughter’s leaver’s ball at the Loughborough Endowed Schools. I was very impressed with the high level of security with the approaching Olympic Games and how professional the staff were. The Hotel is an excellent 4* property, I just wish I had more time to stay and try the Spa.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathryn B
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear Kathy

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post this review. Your feedback, comments and endorsement are very much appreciated and have been relayed to the team.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

just spent 2 nights here, im not entirely sure that it is worthy of a 4 star rating , on first entering the room on saturday ,the first thing i noticed was that there were what appeared to be "cake crumbs" on the carpet in the doorway which were easily spotted due to there size so had obviously not been hoovered up ! Also one of the nice fluffy white towels in the bathroom had a nasty brown stain on it , not pleasant , and the bathroom ceiling had a large water stain on it , obviously following a leak from the room above,my biggest gripe is that the times for breakfast are quite obviously at the discretion of the staff working in the restaurant at the time , i say this because on Sunday morning , breakfast is served till 9.30, as i was eating , people were arriving at as late as 5 past 10 and were still able to enjoy the full range of food that was on offer, this morning (monday) breakfast is served until 9am , i arrived at 10 past 9 and was told that breakfast was over , even though the hotplate was still up and running with all the cooked items available, but no leeway was given even though a breakfast is included in the price, i had to ask if it was possible to get a hot drink of any kind , to which i was pointed in the direction of a tea/coffee machine and also along side this was a basket containing cereal bars , so a hot drink and a bar was the grand total of my 4 star hotel breakfast......not a happy bunny !! in my humble opinion, overpriced and wont be rushing back to stay again !

Room Tip: room was a good size ......overlooking the car park !!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback and comments which are much appreciated and have been passed back to the team. Our housekeeping standards were not up to our usual standard for which I offer my unreserved apologies. Breakfast is served until 10.00am on Saturdays and Sundays and until 9.00am Monday to Friday. These times are advertised in our bedrooms, at reception and outside the restaurant. The buffet is normally left out after closing times to allow guests to finish their meal.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed in Burleigh Court a couple of nights during a business trip.
It is a high-level hotel that offers several services to the guests.
The room where I was staying was very well equipped and I got to enjoy particularly the speed and completely free wi-fi Internet connection.
I don't rate Burleigh Court full marks because the first day I found traces of previous guests in the bathroom, and this is grave for the general high level of the hotel.
Staff is professional and very available.
Breakfast is also good with a wide choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Leandro

Thank you very much for your feedback and general endorsement which is much appreciated. It would seem however that our standards of housekeeping were not up to their usual high standard for which I am extremely sorry.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Burleigh court is perfectly equipped to run training courses and conferences.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 5 July 2012

Dear Natalie

Thank you very much for your endorsement which is much appreciated. I have to agree with you Burleigh Court is perfectly located and equipped to run training courses and conferences. We also have a friendly team with great expertise who are committed to delivering an exceptional experience.