“Comfortable accommodation in a lovely setting”
Review of Burleigh Court

Burleigh Court
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Loughborough
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Comfortable accommodation in a lovely setting”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Burleigh Court twice now. Our first visit was many years ago; our second last weekend. We deliberately booked this hotel based on the experiences of the first visit. We were not disappointed. The hotel is clean, modern, comfortable. The reception staff were welcoming and friendly. Our executive bedroom was spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linen crisp. The range of food for breakfast was very good and all looked fresh and appetising. If we return to Loughborough again we will definitely stay in Burleigh Court.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tracy

Thank you so much for your feedback and choosing to stay with us for a second time. We are most grateful that you have taken the time to post this review and for your endorsment on Trip Advisor. Lets hope you make it three and we will certainly look forward to you your return.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was recently at Loughborough University to visit my daughter for 3 days. This was ideal for me. Its well located in the campus as well as commuting to town and back was pretty straightforward. Good rooms, great staff and very good food too. Felt safe and comfortable in the lively, yet peaceful surroundings. Will certainly be back there if I visit campus again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Debjani2014
Dear Debjan

Thank you for your feedback which is most welcome and much appreciated. We are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to your return in the near future. Don't forget that when booking on our special rates for visiting parents your daughter is able to join you free for breakfast.

surrey
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here recently for a five-day residential training conference. I found the bedroom comfortable and well-stocked and cleaned, and the training facilities are good quality. The catering was always plentiful with hot drinks and cold water available throughout the day, and the evening meals and breakfast buffet being of good quality.
The staff were friendly and helpful and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The only downside for me was that I was that I found the venue very hot and would have liked more fresh air in the training rooms, but apart from this I found it an enjoyable stay.

Guy H, General Manager at Burleigh Court, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback and comments which are most welcome and much appreciated. We are thrilled that you had a good week with us and are grateful that you have taken the time and trouble to post this review. Your endorsement will be relayed to the team and no doubt will be well received.

Fife
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Lodge rooms are compact but very clean and warm, very friendly staff, very nice food, would definitly recommend to anyone looking for an overnight or short stay. Dinner service stops at 9pm, so keep your fingers crossed against flight delays, I just made it with 10mins to spare.

Guy H, General Manager at Burleigh Court, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback which most appreciated. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and hope you will return again soon to see us. We are grateful that you have taken the time and trouble to post this review on TripAdvisor. Dinner in the restaurant is served until 10pm Monday to Friday and 9pm at weekends. Our bar menu is available until 10pm all week.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at Burleigh Court a week ago for a work trip and I was rather disappointed, especially after it had been so highly recommended. On arrival the staff were friendly and promptly checked me in. I was given room 25 and although it was clean the radiator made an awful clicking and banging sound all the way through the night and the shower pressure was just dreadful. I requested to change my room the next day and the staff on reception then moved me to room 50. This was a lovely clean, quiet room and was a much better stndard to the one I had been given previously.

On my first night I orderd the chicken in panko breadcrumbs burger and half way through I noticed the chicken in my burger was fleshy and bloody. The staff told me it was cooked and that it was probably just a vein and offered me a free drink which I did not accept. I was not given a refund. The second night the standard of food was a little better but I was still not issued an apology for the service I received the previous evening.
During my visit I popped into the pool and gym. The facilities were excellent and the staff were very friendly and informative. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the wellness centre.

I was then issued a feedback email and checked the box to be contacted by the manager, I still have not been contacted. Although the hotel itself is very clean and tidy I did not enjoy my stay but after reading other positive reviews maybe it was just a one off.

Guy H, General Manager at Burleigh Court, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for you feedback and comments which are very much appreciated. Our sincere apologies for chicken. The matter has been raised with the staff concerned as it does not adhere to our normal standards of food preparation. It is always difficult to investigate incidents like this when comments are posted anonymously. Thankfully you completed our in-house guest questionnaire with contact details and we have attempted to contact you on a number of occasions but have had no response to date. It would be good to talk to you so we can complete our investigations.

Driffield
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Attending a weekend exhibition on the university campus, Burleigh Court was the most convenient place to stay. There is a secure carpark near to the reception and we received a pleasant welcome. It was a bit of a walk to our twin room however it was clean, quiet, nicely furnished and with all the expected facilities including free wifi and met our needs for an overnight stay. The over-bath shower was good with lots of hot water and adequate pressure although for those of us getting on a bit a non-slip mat would have been welcome. The staff members in the bar on our late night visit were excellent and the choice of drinks was good. Breakfast had a good selection although it was a case of find a table and work out the procedures for yourself. Check out was smooth and friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Phil

Thank you very much for your feedback which is much appreciated. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and grateful that you have taken the time and trouble to post this review. We hope you return to see us again soon.

Derby
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I went to Burleigh Court for a two day training course and stayed over for two nights as well.

On arrival the receptionists were pleasant, efficient and jovial – an excellent start! I was in room 114 of the main building to the left of reception. The room was bright, airy and spotless. Having had the usual root around the room first, I unpacked and then sat on the bed. Eeek, it was a bit hard! On my way to dinner that evening I stopped by at reception and asked if there was anything they could do – mattress topper eg. They phoned up housekeeping and asked if a duvet could be put on the bed under the sheet to make it softer. By the time I’d finished dinner the bed was done and yes it was softer, but still felt too hard to me, but appreciated the effort that they went to.

On the first night dinner was in a private dining room as I was there on a corporate event. The room was large with abstract pictures on the wall – made for a good talking point. Dinner was lovely – tomato and basil soup to start, vegetarian tart with sweet potato, feta and spinach and veg for main, and lemon meringue tartlet for dessert. All delicious. The coffee was foul though – so strong you could’ve stood your spoon up in it! Off for an early night and slept reasonably well although did wake a few times in the night because it was very warm in the room. In the morning I found the thermostat and turned it right down! The room I was in was extremely quiet and you could’ve heard a pin drop.

Breakfast was nice but the temperature of the “hot” breakfast was only luke warm. There was pretty much everything you would expect – fried eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, veggie sausages, black pudding, hash browns, beans, tomatoes, plenty of sauces, toast, fresh fruit, cereals, juices, and probably more that I’ve missed off. After the coffee experience the night before I chose tea for my drink and it was lovely.

Had a full day’s course in the Wyre room and it was lovely and cool, bright with plenty of space. There was a water cooler in the corner and sweets on the tables (love the Love Hearts!). The break-out area was large enough for various meetings to use at the same time and the coffee machines worked overtime producing great drinks (cappuccino, latte, tea etc). The pastries and biscuits were lovely too.

Before dinner on the second night I went to the bar and ordered a rose wine. For £5.75 a glass I thought I’d get something special but it was just your usual run of the mill plonk. For dinner I had French onion soup to start. There was plenty of onion and a big cheesy garlic crouton in the middle but the liquid tasted wishy-washy and bland to say the least – very disappointed. I wouldn’ve complained and asked for something different but was with a group of work colleagues and didn’t want to show anyone up. The waitress made a right hash of serving the mains – the people that asked for lamb were given tuna steak!! After a swap around everyone got the right meal. I had the tuna steak on stir fried veg with ‘normal’ veg too (potatoes, broccoli etc). I asked for the tuna to be well done and it was perfect. I skipped dessert as I was too full and just had a tea instead.

The second night’s sleep was lush! The room temperature just right and was a bit more used to the bed.

Breakfast the second morning was more of the same but the temperature was a lot better (ie hotter). Another day of training in the Wye room, again just as good as before.

Check-out was easy and straightforward. Different receptionists this time to check-in and they seemed a bit......po-faced(?), but I guess pleasant enough so shouldn’t complain. I think I was spoilt on check-in (wish I could remember the name of the receptionist as she was excellent. I want to say Amy but I might be wrong!).

I can’t comment on the leisure facilities as I didn’t bring my cozzie.

The only criticisms I have are that there was no mini bar in the room (wanted to put my water in there and have a late drink), some of the receptionists could’ve smiled a bit more, and the awful soup on the second night as mentioned above.

So all-in-all a very good stay. I think I’m visiting again later in the year for more training so will be interesting to see if I have as good a stay as I have this time.

Room Tip: Have a room in the main building - to the left of reception are extremely quiet (I was room 114).